Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Latest Patch=*** on the GTN??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Latest Patch=*** on the GTN??

GnatB
05.01.2012 , 10:29 AM | #11
Wasn't actually a stealth/ninja nerf, it's actually IN THE PATCH NOTES. The thing that made me laugh last night is I could actually understand how it happened. Designer who hasn't ever actually played the game and/or english reading skill around grade 2. & an overeager coder.

Designer sees the bug: "Items with no subcategories don't return any results unless a filter is changed (such as rarity)"

Says hmm. Checks it in game. Sure enough, no results. Thinks, "Well, that's confusing. I know, we'll disable the button unless the filter is changed". (never even thinks that the bug is the fact that results SHOULD be getting returned)

Coder gets the bug/feature request "Search button should be disabled unless a filter is changed for items with no subcategories". Thinks, "Well, why just items with no subcategories? I'll do it for ALL of them. Gonna get a pat on the back for going the extra mile."

And thus we have the shiny new bulletpoint in the patch notes:
Quote:
•The Search button is now correctly disabled for categories that do not have a subcategory when there are no search results.
*facepalm*

TSgtSeuss
05.01.2012 , 10:50 AM | #12
Lol, right... pre-patch, the problem was that certain items (earpieces, implants, etc) wouldn't return results unless you selected an "item quality" filter... so to "fix" that bug, they just broke EVERYTHING to match?

I know I'm not a computer engineer... but I know enough about it to know that it isn't quantum physics or string theory... a proper fix for this shouldn't be that hard.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe priority #1 for Bioware should be to fix the @#$&% Public Test Server so retardation like this never goes live in the first place?

Hyryu
05.01.2012 , 11:07 AM | #13
I have to say, I usually defend BW for the most part since the majority of people QQing would complain about water in the middle of a desert. I am simply amazed at how bad the GTN is. The only other MMO I have ever played was FF11 and I remember their marketplace being much easier to navigate. The GTN was a pain in the rear end before the update but at least you could get your results faster with some tweaking, this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

The GTN should really be a huge part of SWTOR but the changes seem to keep it from being anything more than a flea market.
Shadow Lands (MT OG!)
- Hiryu (50 Focus/Vig Guardian)
- Valtari (47 Watchman Sent)
- Valiz (23 Sage)

GnatB
05.01.2012 , 11:11 AM | #14
To be fair, I *am* a Computer Engineer, and must admit to having seen fixes like this. Either from an ignorant designer (as previously suggested) or possibly when a bug is sent to a wrong person who happens to be *real* new. (presumably in this case a new UI person) New person doesn't realize the people forwarding bugs sometimes make mistakes and forward them to the wrong person, and that if the bug isn't actually his he should forward it back/on to the correct person (presumably somebody on the DB query side?) Instead he thinks that if the bug has gone to him he MUST fix it. So he does it the only way he knows/can, and comes up with some UI only workaround fix.

But I've never seen a fix like that get past the fix verification process, and is usually followed by a "next time forward the bug to the correct person" conversation.

Githanis
05.01.2012 , 12:06 PM | #15
Pretty simple to me....just model the GTN after WoW's Auction House. IMO it's the best auction-format design in MMO's.

HanzBlix
05.01.2012 , 01:25 PM | #16
I thought it was a bug with something they were trying to implement LOL. Please change it back to the way it was pre-patch. No seriously, do it.... Do it.... Do it.... Seriously Do it.

SinisterSniper
05.01.2012 , 02:06 PM | #17
I thought they said they wanted to make the GTN 95% less stupid.

SpatterJack
05.01.2012 , 03:04 PM | #18
It looks like instead of fixing the original "bug", someone decided to just apply the previous functionality universally to all GTN searches. It reeks of "quick-win fix", and the result is very irritating.

I can only imagine that they are trying to limit the complexity of the database searches for some reason. Sloppy database design can have that effect...

Ratito
05.01.2012 , 04:17 PM | #19
Dear god.... why? why? why?

TURN GTN BACK !!!!
HUNTER, SEEKER, KILLER FOR HIRE

Dabrixmgp
05.01.2012 , 04:22 PM | #20
Tell me which Dev to send my WoW login name and password to so he can log in, look at their AH, and copy it exactly.