Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crafting Annoyance...

Torvasha
04.30.2012 , 09:03 AM | #1
I'm getting kinda annoyed with the high-end crew skill missions. As an Artifice - I have Archeology and Treasure Hunting. I've already got my companions loyalties Maxed out yet I only get one maybe two level 6 gemstone missions and all sorts of companion gift missions. Then when I send them out for the missions - and get them back (45min to an hour later) they don't even bring back what I need! I have 150 yellow and orange crystals in my bank and 6 gemstones! With max loyalty I'm lucky if I get 3gemstones on a 'moderate' return and 4-5gemstones on 'abundant'. As far as I can tell there is no planet I can farm gemstones on (power crystals yes but gemstones?) so I'm stuck running hour long missions for next to no return.

Its annoying to have to wait 45+ min to get a TH mission returned - without even being able to craft something. Please up the returns or lower the wait time on these missions. WWith only 2hr playtimes - its next to impossible to get any decent crafting done. (and yes I know about 'offline' but that still doesn't help.)

Valkirus
04.30.2012 , 09:05 AM | #2
Another example amoung many why the crafting in TOR is weak. I donot even bother with it anymore.
Trust is something which is earned.

Dejoule
04.30.2012 , 09:11 AM | #3
It was equally annoying in WoW to farm Black Lotus for high level flasks, and Fel Lotus in BC. In Wrath they gave the Lotus out like candy though.
To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.
Explorer: 73% | Killer: 47% | Socializer: 40% | Achiever: 40%
Officer of Dark Fury. An Imperial Guild focusing on Operations and PVP on Jedi Covenant.

Journeyer
04.30.2012 , 09:19 AM | #4
I'm afraid I can't agree here. You can send up to 5 companions off at a time, and with full affection and efficiency, an hour's wait returns a tremendous number of items. I have enough gemstones, in fact, that I have run out of room in my expanded cargo bay.

I'm not intending to suggest that every mission returns tons of stuff, or that obtaining tons of stuff is easy or cheap. But I'd like to offer the opinion that it's extremely possible to get lots and lots of stuff. I don't even play the market--I just run either 4 Ilum dailies (15 mins) *or* the new Corellia dailies (20 mins) most days (4-5 days per week) and use the $ for repairs and crew skill missions.

To put it another way, there's no reason that you need more than a few mats at a time; sending 3-5 companions off for various things will net you enough mats to make an item. If you want a stockpile, then it'd be pretty unhealthy for the game's fledgling economy to let you have it all at once. Patience and persistance will yield tremendous gains.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Torvasha
04.30.2012 , 10:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
I'm afraid I can't agree here. You can send up to 5 companions off at a time, and with full affection and efficiency, an hour's wait returns a tremendous number of items. I have enough gemstones, in fact, that I have run out of room in my expanded cargo bay.

I'm not intending to suggest that every mission returns tons of stuff, or that obtaining tons of stuff is easy or cheap. But I'd like to offer the opinion that it's extremely possible to get lots and lots of stuff. I don't even play the market--I just run either 4 Ilum dailies (15 mins) *or* the new Corellia dailies (20 mins) most days (4-5 days per week) and use the $ for repairs and crew skill missions.

To put it another way, there's no reason that you need more than a few mats at a time; sending 3-5 companions off for various things will net you enough mats to make an item. If you want a stockpile, then it'd be pretty unhealthy for the game's fledgling economy to let you have it all at once. Patience and persistance will yield tremendous gains.
The problem isn't I can't send off the companions - the issue is that you don't even get the option. If I'm lucky I have one 'moderate' mission (which maybe returns 2 gemstones) and one 'abundant' mission (which maybe returns 4). The rest are always companion gift missions. So I can only send out 1-2 companions - have too wait and hour - 'maybe' get what I needed and then send them out again. So I can craft 1 item in a 3 hour play period.

Acherom
04.30.2012 , 10:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvasha View Post
The problem isn't I can't send off the companions - the issue is that you don't even get the option. If I'm lucky I have one 'moderate' mission (which maybe returns 2 gemstones) and one 'abundant' mission (which maybe returns 4). The rest are always companion gift missions. So I can only send out 1-2 companions - have too wait and hour - 'maybe' get what I needed and then send them out again. So I can craft 1 item in a 3 hour play period.
What you need to support then, is the suggestion over in the suggestion thread for: "Allow refreshing the mission list."

I have had a similar problem where, as Cybertech; all missions either return fabrics (which I can't use) or companion gifts (which I don't want) Not having a single metals mission is quite common.
"These people have lost a homeworld through no fault of their own. Offering them a new homeworld is the least I can do to compensate them for their loss." - Darth Sidious

Dayshadow
04.30.2012 , 10:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Torvasha View Post
I'm getting kinda annoyed with the high-end crew skill missions. As an Artifice - I have Archeology and Treasure Hunting. I've already got my companions loyalties Maxed out yet I only get one maybe two level 6 gemstone missions and all sorts of companion gift missions. Then when I send them out for the missions - and get them back (45min to an hour later) they don't even bring back what I need! I have 150 yellow and orange crystals in my bank and 6 gemstones! With max loyalty I'm lucky if I get 3gemstones on a 'moderate' return and 4-5gemstones on 'abundant'. As far as I can tell there is no planet I can farm gemstones on (power crystals yes but gemstones?) so I'm stuck running hour long missions for next to no return.

Its annoying to have to wait 45+ min to get a TH mission returned - without even being able to craft something. Please up the returns or lower the wait time on these missions. WWith only 2hr playtimes - its next to impossible to get any decent crafting done. (and yes I know about 'offline' but that still doesn't help.)
It is ridiculous.

Biochem and Scavenging nodes are EVERYWHERE. Not to mention they can collect material from strong+ droid sna organics. Gemstone spots are pretty rare. It EXTREMELY unfair. Add to the fact that when trying for schematics you have to stick to 1 color is even more frustraiing because you probably have a mix of all colors. If you get a blue for red and all you have left are green. You can't get purples.

Waste my money or my time. But not both. If a person waits an hour for something AND pays money for it... it had better give guaranteed results. Especially if all you get for your trouble is 2 items that you don't even get to choose. It's like they hate crafting. I copuld go on and on about how pointless high teir crafting gets. But artificers have it real bad.
(▀▀▀▀!(Θ)!▀▀▀▀!!(████████████████████)

Patsilver
04.30.2012 , 10:27 AM | #8
I think underworld trading is the worst for this but could be wrong. So many times I bring up the mission window and all the missions are companion gifts or luxury fabrics, no underworld metals mission available. This is friggin annoying.
Oh and on a side note I don't thing REing is any batter since 1.2 came out.
I survived the Patch From Hell (9/24/2013) but my subscription didn't.

Zoiks
04.30.2012 , 10:38 AM | #9
One thing you can do is queue up all the gemstone missions available, then zone or logout and back in again (this will reset the missions available), and repeat until all companions occupied.

As far as getting yellow or orange gems instead of the standard ones, there's not really anything you can do. Unless they redesign it and add specific missions for the different types of gems you're pretty much screwed. If it's any consolation, once you're pretty much done with researching schematics and blue crafting mats it gets far, far worse as you're then dependant on crits for purple ones.

Assuming you still have any interest in crafting by that point.

G_Vega
04.30.2012 , 12:49 PM | #10
Seriously, the time to complete some of these is completely ridiculous. I just love sending people out on long missions and they come back with nothing too. I am really liking all of the companion gift missions that are all over the place too (I guess we know why the cool down was removed)
50 Marauder, Sentinel, Vanguard, Mercenary, Juggernaut

It's a long way back to Grandville, but these wonderful devs keep updating my GPS...