Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swg > swtor

Yoverion
04.30.2012 , 03:48 AM | #1
SWG is way better than SWTOR in every aspect. im not saying SWTOR is bad however no one can deny its a wow clone.

SWG PvP Video, compare this to pvp in swtor and see for yourself which is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So-jSEyQEtM

SNCommand
04.30.2012 , 04:25 AM | #2
My eyes, they burn!

No but seriously, I never played Swg, but from what I saw the PvP in Old Republic is miles ahead
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

dazednconfuzed
04.30.2012 , 04:43 AM | #3
Both games are good, although I'd have to say I preferred SWG to TOR. TOR does too much hand-holding (Go here, do this, then go over there, hit some of those guys, then come back to the base) where SWG basically said 'There's the Star Wars universe, go play'. And being able to pick and choose skills instead of being forced along a specific class route that loads of other people also have is a good thing.

Sure, SWG had some problems, but so does TOR. Having a Star Wars MMO that is a mixture of the two would have been incredible.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Erevan_Kindelar
04.30.2012 , 05:20 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Yoverion View Post
SWG is way better than SWTOR in every aspect. im not saying SWTOR is bad however no one can deny its a wow clone.

SWG PvP Video, compare this to pvp in swtor and see for yourself which is better

My personal opinion is that SWG pre-NGE was better than SWTOR is now, because I prefer the sandbox "here is the world, go and write your story" approach. However, that is a general comment on the game rather than specifically on PvP. SWG PvP was ok (coming from Planetside, the PvP in SWG felt like a scenic railway trip - ability-based rather than skill-based, and SWTOR is very similar, issues with FPS and lag aside).
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

utio
04.30.2012 , 05:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
Both games are good, although I'd have to say I preferred SWG to TOR. TOR does too much hand-holding (Go here, do this, then go over there, hit some of those guys, then come back to the base) where SWG basically said 'There's the Star Wars universe, go play'. And being able to pick and choose skills instead of being forced along a specific class route that loads of other people also have is a good thing.

Sure, SWG had some problems, but so does TOR. Having a Star Wars MMO that is a mixture of the two would have been incredible.
I agree. SWG had huge open worlds, with so much to do on them, and I really felt like I was in the star wars universe. Tor has set paths, and I get the impression I'm being herded. I can't explore the whole world, just go to certain areas.
Then there's the fact I can't even launch to space in tor, I can't orbit the planet I was just on.
I also think that in swg you could meet people anywhere, yet in tor i'm suprised to see people because it doesn't happen very often.
But hey, tor is gonna be around for years so we shall see how it develops.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Superstaroo
04.30.2012 , 05:45 AM | #6
star wars galaxies veteran here. Pre cu SWG was on an entirely different level to any MMORPG, Let alone just this game.

The crafting was nothing i have ever seen before, the animations were quality, The communities were fantastic. There would be between 15-30 towns on each planet and you could go to the most random out of the way city and still find more players than you get in a TOR war zone. There was no end game, there was always somthing to do, pvp was always a challenge, with actual guild rivalries and a genuine dislike to the opposite faction.

However, TOR adopts a different style. It thrives on the storylines, which at the moment is very good. But will eventually get old im sure.

dazednconfuzed
04.30.2012 , 05:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Superstaroo View Post
star wars galaxies veteran here. Pre cu SWG was on an entirely different level to any MMORPG, Let alone just this game.

The crafting was nothing i have ever seen before, the animations were quality, The communities were fantastic. There would be between 15-30 towns on each planet and you could go to the most random out of the way city and still find more players than you get in a TOR war zone. There was no end game, there was always somthing to do, pvp was always a challenge, with actual guild rivalries and a genuine dislike to the opposite faction.

However, TOR adopts a different style. It thrives on the storylines, which at the moment is very good. But will eventually get old im sure.
This is why I think a hybrid between the two would be awesome. Imagine SWG's worlds, crafting, classes, and player cities. Now mix it with TOR's cutscenes, dialogues and stories (not class stories, but rather world/contact stories, like the original SWG's Jabba's Palace mission arc). How cool a game would that be?
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Superstaroo
04.30.2012 , 06:08 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
This is why I think a hybrid between the two would be awesome. Imagine SWG's worlds, crafting, classes, and player cities. Now mix it with TOR's cutscenes, dialogues and stories (not class stories, but rather world/contact stories, like the original SWG's Jabba's Palace mission arc). How cool a game would that be?

the only hybrid im getting is playing TOR and SWGEMU, perfect balance

vDarkHelmet
04.30.2012 , 07:07 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Superstaroo View Post
the only hybrid im getting is playing TOR and SWGEMU, perfect balance
Yeah I agree. EMU is getting very close too :0

EzoEo
04.30.2012 , 07:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Yoverion View Post

Only idiots would use the term "WoW clone".

Considering it was relesed after Everquest, Everquest 2 and Star Wars:Galaxies then how any game can be a "WoW Clone" is anyones guess.

I have always asked what exactly a "WoW Clone" and 99% the time never been given an answer because the WoW fanbois can't even agree what a "WoW clone".

FYI Blizzard did not the RPG systems that you see in games today as the like of Baldurs Gate, KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights all pre-dates World of Warcraft.

So please remove head from bottom and do some reading on gaming history.
Some people reactions to the Disney buy out.