Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[RE]cycling

Drewhat
04.27.2012 , 11:20 PM | #1
So looking at the market there are obviously people who have no clue how to price things. Often times they will just follow the GTN price, especially for loot gear or even their own crafted gear. The default price for this gear is often barely above the cost of materials and occasionally below materials cost, especially on higher level gear.

I've been using a pricing method that basically charges a flat rate for how many rating points a piece of armor puts out with some modifier for the armor slot. It seems that the cost for NPC vendor gear is around 100 credits per rating point which means anything below that should sell well and anything above that should offer a significant advantage (access at a lower level, purple [last longer], augmented, or orange for slots).

I was thinking that it would be useful to be able to recycle materials from listed gear better. This could be the reuse of the now defunct gear tables. Let them be tables that can be used to get higher amounts of materials back from a piece of equipment at a higher rate but without the chance to RE. They could give you something closer to 75%-100% of your material back. That way less materials go to waste when stupid sellers list stuff.

Drewhat
05.01.2012 , 09:03 AM | #2
I want to rephrase this more simply:

Shouldn't you be able to recycle gear OR reverse engineer it? RE should give close to what it does now with between 10-20% of materials back. You should also get the option to recycle gear that is under your crafting skill.

Your companion could be assigned a 'crafting mission' to recycle the gear and it would take some amount of time based on a %age of its original crafting time.

You could get something like 50%-75% of the materials back, and even 'crit' up to 95%.

This would keep prices more stable and less inflated, make more sources of materials, and get rid of worthless and low listed green gear off the market.

lunartic
05.01.2012 , 09:15 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewhat View Post
Let them be tables that can be used to get higher amounts of materials back from a piece of equipment at a higher rate but without the chance to RE.
Unless i misunderstood your post (if so pls ignore my post), RE in this game does not refer to the chance to get a better schemetics. I think it's more like REcycling as you put it.

Drewhat
05.01.2012 , 10:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by lunartic View Post
Unless i misunderstood your post (if so pls ignore my post), RE in this game does not refer to the chance to get a better schemetics. I think it's more like REcycling as you put it.
Now I'm not sure what you are saying. Right now, RE does let you get new and better schematics if available. I'm proposing an option for a 0% RE chance, but the ability to get like 80% material back.

That way when people sell things on the GTN for 5.5k when all the material individually is worth 9k then you can recycle it for like 7.5k worth of material, then resell the mats or make your own thing or resell the underpriced item. This would also make the augmentation process quicker. It also is pretty much the same as a 'disassembly' roll, but with a higher reward.

GnatB
05.01.2012 , 10:49 AM | #5
I think what the other Opster is saying is that initially, RE WAS a recycle. The primary purpose WAS to get mats back. Getting a schematic was a rare added bonus that came as an extra to the primary reason for RE, not the only real reason to RE.

This is still largely true with most items, (i.e. all drops) as you can RE them for mats but have no chance of getting a schematic.

Jadothan
05.01.2012 , 11:00 AM | #6
Where are you getting the prices of the mats to create "said" item? GTN? In a way you can never really know the absolute price of materials for crafting, nor the armor to RE. Its really up to the person who does the crew skills, and/or goes out and collects stuff from nodes, to determine how much their time vs credits spent is worth to others. And the default price the GTN puts down is was most will easily go by because many may not know how to work auctions. Its easy mode.

What will probably end up happening is people will realize that potential of receiving more crafting materials from you REcycling and the price will end up plummeting of those materials. REcycling may end up being the most efficient way to collect materials. All you really have to do is just go out and do your dailies or quests and bank.

I think its fine the way it is really. You sell to vendor for quick easy credits, put on GTN for slightly more than what its worth to sell to those unfortunate on their drops, or attempting to gear up alts/compansion, or simply RE as usual and get a little here or there of the scraps that you didn't have before.

TLDR: Its difficult to make money off other peoples' values of items, given that the GTN gives you a default list price.

Drewhat
05.01.2012 , 11:04 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
I think what the other Opster is saying is that initially, RE WAS a recycle. The primary purpose WAS to get mats back. Getting a schematic was a rare added bonus that came as an extra to the primary reason for RE, not the only real reason to RE.

This is still largely true with most items, (i.e. all drops) as you can RE them for mats but have no chance of getting a schematic.
Isn't what you get back from them worth less than what you could sell them for at a junk vendor? I mean it seems really low. I guess if it was too high there would be no way to make augmentation cost anything extra to do besides just having the time to do it.

Jadothan
05.01.2012 , 11:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewhat View Post
Isn't what you get back from them worth less than what you could sell them for at a junk vendor? I mean it seems really low. I guess if it was too high there would be no way to make augmentation cost anything extra to do besides just having the time to do it.
Exactly, that's what adds value to gear. If it was easier to get, then you wouldn't make money period, and would just rather vendor it all.

Drewhat
05.01.2012 , 12:25 PM | #9
So working this through in my head, what this means, is that if an item is listed for a lowball price on the GTN, it is still worth getting because I can get some mats out of it, and I can possibly get a schem for possibly less than the cost of the composite materials. So it would sort of be as if I did get the value of the materials if I did get something from REing it.

So in essence, if I am buying off of the GTN to RE, the 'value' of recycled goods I get back is:
[% value in actual material]+[%value from schem learning]...?

[I know not all material is equal, but for the sake of simplicity...]

So if there are 5 green helmets on the GTN and they all cost 10 widgets to make.
Lets say they are each listed at about 4 widgets worth of credits.
I think my base 'recycle rate' is about 15%.
My RE rate for this green helmet is 20%, so on average I should get a schem if I RE all 5.
Cost to acquire helmets from GTN: 20 widgets worth of credits
Cost to acquire materials and craft 5 helmets: 50 widgets worth of credits (i.e. 30 widgets of value gained from GTN purchases)
Widgets earned through recycling: 7 or 8. (But this cancels out in my opportunity cost because I would have gotten them back from my own crafted stuff.)

So I guess this is what you were saying before: that the recycle rate should be the minimum markup above the cost to produce as long as there is a relatively high demand for a higher quality good (or what you would RE the lowball good to get) This all assumes that you can get a schem from gear somebody else makes, which i haven't spent too much time trying.

Drewhat
05.01.2012 , 12:41 PM | #10
So thinking out loud for everyone still...

For all of those people trying to level up a crafting skill for endgame use, if you don't plan on making goods from upgraded schematics, then it is better to sell your quickly crafted stuff on the GTN between the junk vendor price and material cost.

This way others can buy it for REing purposes, or there may be some who could use it.