Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I am angry about the economic exploit.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I am angry about the economic exploit.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tiggress
04.27.2012 , 01:53 PM | #201
its funny and a study in humanity to read posts and see who exploited (who is afraid they will be banned) and who didnt...Personally PERMA BAN these offenders and their IP address....if they want to come back, let them purchase the game again and start over..im all for a second chance.. but this is after you PUNISH severly the first offense...
Losing these individuals will only strengthen the GAME in the long run any way...I hope BW sees this..

MillionsKNives
04.27.2012 , 01:54 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by luda-kressh View Post
Not true. Unfortunately these new improvements to detect cheats with 1.2 just deal with speed hacks etc. This patch deals with an exploit and they don't have tools to deal with it nor will they do anything if the credits are transferred to different characters. The people involved may have simply been honest and reported it and some may have kept quite and moved the credits around. The second scenario Bioware can't really deal with....
I didn't realize you were a BioWare dev.

What makes you think they can't track transactions?

Kourage
04.27.2012 , 01:56 PM | #203
What's sad is a lot of players have more than enough credits to buy every single listing on the GTN.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Monave
04.27.2012 , 01:57 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by NightHawke View Post
Ok, you have about 10 years on me. For me it was Final Fight and Double Dragon in the 9th grade.

Pinball of course.
Now when I think about it, Whack-a-Mole was a fun activity while out getting drunk lol.

Actually, the very first video game I remember after Pong (yep, Pong) was called Space Wars, and was it this huge upright 70s Sci-fi designed case in a metallic paint job big enough for two players.

Seront
04.27.2012 , 01:58 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
Cheating is always exaggerated but that's why you have to make an example of people who cheat to counter this.

In an informal study people found that 1/3 of all Diablo 1 players cheat, but ask anyone who actually played Diablo 1 and they'll probably tell you they're the only person in the world that didn't cheat in Diablo 1 (and 1/3 of them are lying). You certainly can't be faulted to think 99% of the people cheated in that game, even though it's pretty safe to say that this is not the case.

The problem with Bioware is that they don't really make a big deal out of this. Most MMORPGs periodically have these announcement about how heads will roll for those who cheat. It's not clear if doing this stuff actually stops the cheating, but at least it gives players a piece of mind. Saying 193153 accounts have been banned for cheating at least sounds more reassuring than 'trust us, we're dealing with this problem'.

Single player games are not comparable. I cheat all the time in single player games. I have limited time and sometimes I just want to rush through the rest of the game to see the story. I remember hex editing my save games back in the late 80s. Ahh.. good times..

NightHawke
04.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiggress View Post
its funny and a study in humanity to read posts and see who exploited (who is afraid they will be banned) and who didnt...Personally PERMA BAN these offenders and their IP address....if they want to come back, let them purchase the game again and start over..im all for a second chance.. but this is after you PUNISH severly the first offense...
Losing these individuals will only strengthen the GAME in the long run any way...I hope BW sees this..
You can't really do the IP ban anymore. Since IPs switch often from the ISP. You can do MAC bans But closing the account and forcing them to purchase a new game is a solid way to go... But every time I suggest this, they ignore it, or give you 20 free levels, or free to play.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

Cerion
04.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by FaceShindu View Post
I never see how reporting someone will benefit you. Play your own game, if people want to use exploits then thats their business. Same with RL. If someones murdered someone then yea, they are a danger to the public and id probably snitch. But other than that its their business unless it directly effects me.
Spoken like a wannabe miscreant (or perhaps a successful one?). I've taken a sword off my wall and chased a burglar our of my home. I've run down two purse-snatchers..and that's in the last five years. I'm a regular real life white knight, and damn proud of it. More people in this world need to do what's right, rather than try to screw other people over.
Good will always triumph because Evil is lazy.

Monave
04.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
pfft back in my day all we had was Tennis for Two on an oscilloscope
You mean Pong!

Liquidacid
04.27.2012 , 02:01 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by Monave View Post
You mean Pong!
no I don't... pong wasn't till almost 15 years AFTER tennis for two...
"bibo ergo sum" ( I drink, therefore I am)

Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at.

ekaikaforge
04.27.2012 , 02:02 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by luda-kressh View Post
This patch deals with an exploit and they don't have tools to deal with it nor will they do anything if the credits are transferred to different characters.
What?

Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
What makes you think they can't track transactions?
^ This.

Sigh. Every MMO I've ever played has tracked transactions, down to the credit. In SWG, each credit has it's own unique "serial#" if you will, and could be tracked no matter who it went to, and where it went to. I can't prove that BW can track transactions, but historical evidence based on years of MMO's including indie companies with a fraction of this budgets, would suggest they can.

Please, please stop throwing out these outrageous claims.