Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

More Character Customization Options

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
More Character Customization Options

mrfraserfilms
04.27.2012 , 04:04 AM | #1
I am someone who personally loves to customize my character for games. Unfortunately for me, I feel SWTOR doesn't have much to offer in terms of character customization.

Hair-styles are lacking. More then half the hair-styles and facial hairs look completely ridiculous and most facial hair's don't even match up to my hair so it makes it look like i'm wearing a wig at times. Corso Riggs hairstyle is an example of one of the 'strange' styles in the game, whilst it looks good on Corso, it really does not suit the character I want. I wish there was a just a standard 'pony-tail' hairstyle for a male human. Instead i'm given bizzare hair-styles like the Mowhawk w/ Sideburns and a pony tail. I wanted a Canderous Ordo military-man hair-style and the closest style I could get was a 'surfboy' hairstyle. The only 'flat and basic' hairstyle I could found looks really frizzy. I also find myself playing as human most of the time because races like Cyborg and Miralukan don't have facial hairs. (Hell, even a facial hair for the Chiss would be nice) I also have the odd problem with the faces. Many of them just look... odd, the lips can be massive, the eyes can look strange.

General problems, but I would personally like it if you could add some more hair-styles, especially just 'general' and 'basic' hair-styles that don't make me look like Krusty the Clown. (Simple things such as buzz-cuts, Ceasers etc.)

A few extra additions could also be made in terms of customization but for now, i'd like some 'basic' hairstyles.

-Thank you very much for reading

Ramayana
04.27.2012 , 06:30 AM | #2
Listen, I'm just going to say this without sugar-coating it. NO male ought to wear his hair in a pony tail, or similar manner. It causes offence to every one of my sensibilities.

I like the idea of further customisation options for our characters. Perhaps the ability to age our characters somewhat would be useful, because it doesn't seem as though senior citizens are fairly represented in the SWTOR demographic - on any planet. It's like they hit a certain age, and are just ushered off into some sort of place where they complain to each other about how useless a skill Tumult turned out to be...
IF YOU CAN READ THIS MESSAGE FORGOT TO UPDATE YOUR IGNORE LIST.

crazyplaya
05.05.2012 , 03:10 PM | #3
Agreed with OP!
As im a SWG veteran im used to have thousands of customization combinations. Now i dont expect it to change anything near the insane amount of combinations that were in SWG but a bit few more would do allot for the game.

Just look at the twi'lek race. According to star wars lore, they are supposed to have many different skin colors and many different patterns on their lekku... and also according to lore the lekku patterns are as different and unique as the fingerprints on human fingers.
In SWG this race was the race with most customization combinations. That were good as the race were supposed to be like that.

In swtor the twi'lek race is a joke... u get like 5 different skin colors that are not that good looking. And on female toons u cant customize make up and lekku pattern separately. and there are very few lekku patterns to choose from.

And also, as many have stated elsewhere, the lekku on twi'leks are creating so many clipping and texture bugs that it rely ruins the game experience... I wanted to play a twi'lek race as my main but with the poor set of customization combinations i feel forced to play another race.... To me, my toon look means everything.
sorry for stepping on toes here but that's just stupid.

The Human race are also a race with way too few customization combinations.
There are too few hair styles. sure some of them does look nice, but it is the same styles on all races and on both faction sides...
This would be the race of my main. I never rely liked playing human race in any games as the human race always gets a boring standard look. and in this game, at least on my server, 60% of all other players on my faction side have the some what same look as my toon. My toon feels just like yet another mass produced human toon. that rely ruins game experience...

Now dont get me wrong. I rely love all aspects of the game. except for the toon customization part. This part of the game badly need some love from the game designers.
Fists of Light
Server: The Red Eclipse
Leader: Attan Moonfire
Homepage: Fists of Light

HeavensAgent
05.05.2012 , 03:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by mrfraserfilms View Post
I also find myself playing as human most of the time because races like Cyborg and Miralukan don't have facial hairs. (Hell, even a facial hair for the Chiss would be nice)
Cyborgs can have facial hair, and not all species are capable of growing facial hair.
Quote:
I also have the odd problem with the faces. Many of them just look... odd, the lips can be massive, the eyes can look strange.
Did you really just criticize the ethnic variations available in the game? Might want to remove this from your original post. To some it will cast you as a racist.

KBSIP
05.05.2012 , 03:36 PM | #5
what do you mean no human customization? you can pallette swap your skin to blue (chiss) green (mirialan) or red (sith) and even be blind (miraluka).

The point here is this game has really ONE race, humans, with twileks as an afterthought. Every other race is humans with a special that-race-only skin color, a special tattoo, or some facial bonus like sith danglies or zabrak horns. If you treat it as all being ONE race, which is what it really is so the developers didn't have to go through the work of doing animation design a second or third time, there's a ton of customization. Just be careful, the laziness in character design leaked into endgame gear appearences (reference operatives having a nose stick out through their full face masks)

Gwena
05.05.2012 , 04:10 PM | #6
I don't think the problem is simply with the quantity of customization options, but rather with the quality.

Faces: there are SO many I have never, ever seen used except on NPC's. And speaking of faces, they don't always "scale" well with different body types, so a face that looks great on a Type 3/4 body may look absurd or oversized (the facial features, in particular) on a Type 1/2 body, particularly with the males.

Hair: a big chunk of the options are just slight variations of each other (and do we really need that many mohawks?), and while we have a lot of "wild" styles, basics seem to be lacking. And this may be my taste, but I find that many of the hairstyles are poorly done. They don't frame the face right, or sit too high on the forehead, or look like they are made of sculpey.

Makeup: please, someone take the artists on a field trip to the cosmetics counters at Macy's or MAC, and give them some lady mags! Bright orange lipstick with green eyeliner? Fuchsia lipstick with blue eyeshadow? I know this is fantasy, but I'm sure that could be conveyed without the use of neons.

I am sure a lot of people are fine with customization though, and I doubt that more options are coming anytime soon. I have resigned myself to the fact that this is not the game to play for beautiful, thoughtfully designed character aesthetics -- it clearly isn't high on the priority list. xD
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Kaidomaru
07.09.2012 , 07:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KBSIP View Post
what do you mean no human customization? you can pallette swap your skin to blue (chiss) green (mirialan) or red (sith) and even be blind (miraluka).

The point here is this game has really ONE race, humans, with twileks as an afterthought. Every other race is humans with a special that-race-only skin color, a special tattoo, or some facial bonus like sith danglies or zabrak horns. If you treat it as all being ONE race, which is what it really is so the developers didn't have to go through the work of doing animation design a second or third time, there's a ton of customization. Just be careful, the laziness in character design leaked into endgame gear appearences (reference operatives having a nose stick out through their full face masks)
LOL these races existed long before the game came out they all existed in the Star Wars Lore
Karek-Lvl 44 Guardian Talron-Lvl 15 Commando

Orlesian
07.09.2012 , 11:53 AM | #8
I am always for more customizations. There really is not that many great options unfortunately in the game currently. Some characters have to use the same face and/or hairstyle because there is not that many great ones, and I would like for all of my characters to be unique looking. I really would like more hairstyles and preferably some longer ones.
❤ Please make Talos Drellik a romance option for female Inquisitors ❤
Red Eclipse