Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware made a big mistake with purple augments

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Bioware made a big mistake with purple augments

ZDProletariat
04.26.2012 , 06:08 PM | #1
(This is talking from the perspective of grade 6 augments, the best ones)
For some inexplicable reason that I can't understand, Bioware thought it made sense for the blue augments to only need the grade 6 blue mat called Subelectronic Data Module and for the purple augments to only need the grade 6 purple mat called Advanced Neural Augmentor.
They didn't factor in how easy it is to reverse-engineer from a green schematic up to the purple, and how reluctant people are to buy any augment except the top level purples.
So all these slicers are now sitting on dozens of stacks (that's 99 times x stacks) of blue mats that don't sell, aren't used, and are being forced to vendor them so they don't take up bank space.

Bioware, it's a quick fix that makes sense. Purple Augments need to use BOTH the purple mat, and blue mat. Both of them.
"Do you find that normal nerve after the thug that two other classes as loud clap louder than see him before the nerve? The 5k is full of stuff I champion and master of combat. This game is the bag B ** E! Brave the nerve of thug developers not prevail in paradise." - Authentic SWTOR Forum Post

deadatspawn
04.26.2012 , 06:37 PM | #2
i actually agree with this. The blue slicing mats are pointless. I just vendor.

Koolthulu
04.26.2012 , 06:47 PM | #3
Yeah, slicing has become all but worthless now. Even with maxed companions, it can take 5+ missions to get 2 of the purple mats. And they are selling so cheap on my server that I easily lose 8k a piece. This plus the lockbox bug means I've stopped running slicing missions. Unless they have something in tomorrow's patch, I am probably going to replace it on my crafters.

Sithhelmet
04.26.2012 , 06:55 PM | #4
It really won't help much, if at all. I have armor/synth/armstech and two slicers that I use to run missions on constantly. The blues don't move fast enough for me to run out on those, as well as the purples, even if they took 8 per purple to make. The problem is that for each armor slot only one is needed and it won't be replaced until there's a higher level of augment available- unless more stuff is introduced to take augments- and there's only so many slots.

What's happened is that the old markets have been killed off- the weapons with names, the belts and bracers that could only be improved on by oranges that were both rare and expensive have been replaced by cheap oranges with augment slots. Now the money is in making the augments, and that market's saturating quickly.

My only guess is that the developers saw that slicers, and let's be honest- we have high expectations of income for no work- were controlling the augment market, charging upwards of 200k for main stat augments and wanted to change that. They did. They also reduced the rewards for running rich 5/ abundant 6 missions so now to make money all slicers are running component missions and not lockbox missions. This change is now listed as a bug, but I suspect that it was intentional to prime the pump on augments and is expected to even out. I have misgivings on this. The market is full of augments now, purples are going for 40k on my server (aim, str etc.) and the longer that lasts the more damage to the economy will occur. This will hurt both slicers and crafters, mind you.

I'll finish this off by stating, why didn't you say something about this when I was sober?

If any of this makes sense, run with it. If it doesn't, I plead the fifth (of whiskey.)

Slayd_
04.26.2012 , 07:45 PM | #5
I wonder if, over time, your server will see an improvement in the value of those augments.. there is still an abundance of the old pre-1.2 augments available along with those being crafted.. there is just such an abundance that the competition to sell them in lowering the price.. I think you just need to deal with it, perhaps over time things will balance out as the cheap ones get bought and the price goes up.

Agree on how the purple version should require the blue subelectronic data modules to make them.. just vendoring them right now.. another thing is how you can't reverse engineer the non-crit orange armor that is leftover in abundance.. would be nice to get some of my materials back..

Expiredjelly
04.26.2012 , 09:26 PM | #6
Maybe they can make it so all items will have augment slots. And the crafted items can have extra augment slots? Because honestly it's rare to really need to buy augments. That will help some bit.

Liegence
04.27.2012 , 01:45 PM | #7
Ha! Lolz... i have been grinding my gears on how the heck am i going to afford purple augments for both my pve and pvp armor sets and didn't even realize until i read your post that i could just use the blue variants until i get the cash to buy the purps.

Five star post, good stuff.

GnatB
04.27.2012 , 03:40 PM | #8
You could argue the same thing for most items. Most purple items, from what I remember, only require the purple mat and none of the blue mat. The only exceptions I can think of are spaceship parts.

Up to around lvl 40, it's not a big deal. People tend to buy the blue items over the purple ones anyways, so there's a need for all those blue mats. It's only mid 40's and up to 50 when people see they are near "end game", and basically put off all purchases until they can buy "the best" purple lvl 50 stuff.

xenofire
04.27.2012 , 03:58 PM | #9
It'd be cool if you could turn 20 of the blues into 1 of the purples.
Guildmaster of The Remnant on The Harbinger
#4 World | #2 US | EC16 HM

venomlash
04.27.2012 , 04:14 PM | #10
As a slicer and an armstech who's been actively crafting augments, I support this massively. Hear hear!
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony