Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armor Dyes?

sithterror
04.26.2012 , 05:17 PM | #1
I havent seen any threads brought up about this in the 4 pages i looked in. Yes, almost every other MMO has a function similar to this, should SWTOR also have one?

Having played SWG and every MMO since then....i Kinda miss having the ability to change my color scheme on any of my armor. I mean we are all gated, to a degree, in preset colors for any of the armor we wear: Rakata, Black-Hole, Battlemaster, War-Hero, etc. While some colors are 'decent' others are not.
Thus, having a big palette of colors to choose for main and trim coloring would make me standout from another player wearing the same armor.

Is this just me wanting fluff or is this something we can all benefit from, to a degree, and need to ask for it be added to the game?

KiraHalcyon
04.26.2012 , 05:26 PM | #2
I don't know if this is unneccessary "fluff" or beneficial, but I'd like to be able to do this, too.

Perhaps make the dyes something we can purchase and apply ourselves, like in Guild Wars.
Takeshi Yamato- 24-Year-Old Human Male Jedi Sentinel
Hitomi- 21-Year-Old Human Female Sith Marauder
Sayane- 27-Year-Old Human Female Imperial Sniper
Zark- 300-Year-Old Feeorin Male Sith Juggernaut

Finduilose
04.26.2012 , 05:39 PM | #3
I really think it's a good idea. If there is one thing I can't stand in a MMORPG, or any MMO game is the fact that I can't match my colors because one piece of armor is stronger than the last piece I had on, so therefore now my colors of armor does not match. It's rather annoying not matching. I have to match everything on me in real life and when I play a game and I see my character looking like some slum out of the streets because she doesn't match, it drives me nuts! I have actually made a set of lower level armor to RP in because the armor that I wear when I am fighting does not match at all.. It really does drive me nuts and I have to agree. I really think that having a way to "apply" color to our armor would be a wonderful idea!

Gawain_the_Green
04.27.2012 , 01:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Finduilose View Post
I really think it's a good idea. If there is one thing I can't stand in a MMORPG, or any MMO game is the fact that I can't match my colors because one piece of armor is stronger than the last piece I had on, so therefore now my colors of armor does not match. It's rather annoying not matching. I have to match everything on me in real life and when I play a game and I see my character looking like some slum out of the streets because she doesn't match, it drives me nuts! I have actually made a set of lower level armor to RP in because the armor that I wear when I am fighting does not match at all.. It really does drive me nuts and I have to agree. I really think that having a way to "apply" color to our armor would be a wonderful idea!
You can make all your armor match the chest piece. That's already in game. It's an option under the Character/equipment screen.

Leyv
04.27.2012 , 02:03 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Gawain_the_Green View Post
You can make all your armor match the chest piece. That's already in game. It's an option under the Character/equipment screen.

which doesnt help when you're wearing a set...ooo i can make all my troopers armour match my black rakatta chest! oh wait..it already does

the ability to actually change that chest's colour is what would be nice , unification was just the lazy "sod it thats good enough" way out

jolleebindu
04.27.2012 , 02:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gawain_the_Green View Post
making everything one color and making it the color you want are two different things

I like the idea, and besides, cybertech needs more to sell anyway
JolleeBindu
<|====|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

JediKalel
04.27.2012 , 02:28 AM | #7
This is an excelllent thread, this should alreday be in-game, not everyone wants to run around looking just like the guy next to them... or "match" the gear they have to the chest piece, which still doesnt really match 100%. I'm not sure why armor coloring is some kind of locked thing in this game, especially when some of the colors are horrible to begin with... orange anyone?

Froglet
04.27.2012 , 02:28 AM | #8
The "unfiy colours" doesn't always give the desired results, if, like the Commando Elite chest piece your armor has some fine detailing (a yellow/gold piping effect down the flanks in this case) in another colour to the main scheme you may end up with some unexpected results. When I unify colours when wearing the Commando Elite chest piece my boots end up being yellow and white instead of black and white, which is the main colour theme of the armour I was aiming for. Yes, I know I can just unselect the boots for colour unification. But armour dyes would be a handy way to pimp your gear in the way you want, rather than the way Bioware has seen fit to give us so far ( maybe Mr Lucas et al don't want to see pink attired Darths, I don't know)
They would also provide BW with another money sink for the age old problem of inflation in MMOs.

Swijr
04.27.2012 , 06:11 AM | #9
Agreed. This feature is in every MMO I've played recently. SWG required the item to be crafted that color and LOTRO has dyes and dye wash.

This feature is needed as another time sink IMO.

Swijr
.: System :. | Jedi Covenant | Republic PVP Guild | Chat Info

dufox
04.27.2012 , 07:36 AM | #10
im the type of person who will lose a few stats just so i can look sexy. like right now i use the balmorra commendations vibroblade instead of a custom crit crafted saber.

when i heard you could paint your gear in 1.2 i was so happy.
but after 1.2 i gotta say the match your chest color crap is the lamest color customization i have ever seen in a game.
like im pretty sure you could not have picked a worse way to implement this feature.
saying you failed does not even bring it justice

this is of course just my opinion but im disappointed
while im QQing i might as well mention they need to makes some sexy looking armor, exotic stuff. im sick of brown capes and japanese samurai helmets or head bands. where is the creativity for the republic? i made a sith sorc and at level 23 he is epic looking yet my 50 guardian looks like some average dude (or a complete fail if helmets not hid). the warhero gear is better but is nowhere near what it should be.
i want to be sexy to show me some love^^
i dont need a sig, im famous *****