Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Those 'other' companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Those 'other' companions

Gjorind's Avatar


Gjorind
04.27.2012 , 01:28 AM | #21
I always found that I don't do a whole lot of experimenting with my companions simply because it requires me to gear them up in order to do so. In the end, sure, I can give them all a whirl and see their strengths. I'm not at all about to get myself creamed as I go, though, because I somehow thought a companion in full greens six levels too low might be helpful.

Some of it is class mix too, though.

On my Vanguard, I was delivered the wondrous gift of two tanks. I've got no positional attacks, I've got harpoon, and in a pinch I can choose to not close the gap at all and do it from range. A healer is indispensable, not having aggro is borderline worthless. There are times that it is kind of fun to run with another DPS, but Jorgan noticeably knocks the doors off Yuun for this just because of class dynamic--with the scoundrel I like the melee DPS, with the Vanguard I find him too soft.

I had rather wished Yuun was another healer, or a healer/damage hybridish jobber that wasn't real good at "heal the tank" style, but great for downtime reduction and a modest fight contribution. His recruitment story would certainly lend to the notion that he's something of a "utility". Obviously, he turned out to be nothing but a stick waver.

Ironically, I'm also an Armormech, which means that these two tanks are also my primary affection investments because Vik has bonuses to Armormech and Underworld Trading, Forex to Scavenging.

On my scrapper Scoundrel, I felt like I got a touch better mix. Starting with a tank was a bonus. I don't much care for Corso, so I geared Bowdaar and he served well enough. Risha was a dud for me, as a scrapper I simply soak too much damage for someone that just doesn't share it without fancy pet control that I can ignore with others. Akaavi turns out to be startlingly decent, her DPS is pretty high and she's scary nasty in area effect situations which means fast fights and no overaggro for me. I haven't geared her at 50 yet, but it''s planned.

Lastly came Guss, and I've noticed that plenty of others don't care for him too much, but he's my preference. Yes, I take some hits and yes, I don't get back blasts off quite as much. I do, however, get to practice my nut kick stick and maneuver to reapply back blasts, though, which keeps me sharp. I usually let him take healing aggro on multiples, which gives me a large opener on them as well. With the tanks I often found myself shutting down my DPS to heal them the last tick of the fight, which meant downtime. With Guss, my downtime generally consists of needing more energy.

I haven't played the other classes far enough for any kind of honest appraisal, though.

MouseNoFour's Avatar


MouseNoFour
04.27.2012 , 03:53 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Uvirith View Post
dont have any...

DPSspecc -> Lokin or SKORPIO
Healspecc -> Temple/Vector, depending on enemy type.
Hybrid/PvPspecc -> SKORPIO or Kaliyo, depends on enemy type.

Playing only with healercompanions severly gimps your character.

Top-Tip is, you need to gear your companion properly if he has to do an actual job other than healing.
You know how people in Rads always say the Tank has to be geared better than the DD or the healer? Well, same for tanking companions. my skorpio all maxed out with cybertech-armoring barely gets a scratch and never looses aggro.
Seriously, you need to learn a few things.

Uvirith's Avatar


Uvirith
04.27.2012 , 04:13 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MouseNoFour View Post
Seriously, you need to learn a few things.
Unfortunately there is no way to prove either side wrong.
But, if youre having trouble utilizing all companions its not me who has to learn a few things.
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

Aethyriel's Avatar


Aethyriel
04.27.2012 , 05:53 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Uvirith View Post
Unfortunately there is no way to prove either side wrong.
But, if youre having trouble utilizing all companions its not me who has to learn a few things.
It's not about trouble, it's about the easymode healing companions offer compared to DPS or (even worse for anything but healspec) tank companions with the almost immortality you have no matter what you do and the nonexisting downtimes they offer. Biggest downtime for tanking and dps is healing after combat though (for squishy dps classes this is especially true) and it would not be that hard to give tank/dps comps some abilities here to regen faster when combat's finished.

Uvirith's Avatar


Uvirith
04.27.2012 , 06:22 AM | #25
And again, I dnt know what you guys talk about, I rarely have downtime and never use a healingcompanion (Juggernaut/Operative/Mercenary). On the other hand my dps-companions let me tear through those "kill 30 sandpeople"-quests like a hot knife through butter and my skorpio lets me do stuff (like soling H4quests) which is nearly impossible with a healingcompanion.
Im not trolling, I just disagree with this thread, I think its my right to do so. I even brought arguments and solutions into the conversation.

greetz,
uvi
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
04.27.2012 , 08:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JerokTalram View Post
Nadia must not be as good as Kira. With Kira out I can do a group of mobs very quickly. So quickly that even with healing between mobs, we are a lot faster than with Doc. Probably because Doc rarely actually kills the mob he is fighting himself and I have to finish them off. Also if there's 2 or more strong, I will still have to heal after the fight. Though I'm more likely to survive a fight with 2-3 Strongs if Doc is out.

I would say Doc is easier to fight with but not faster. If I run with Kira it's because I want affection so I progress the romance.
Nadia is better than Kira because she can wear your old gear as you level. Just like Scourge becomes the most powerful for the JK.

Also, I would argue that running with dps companions can be quicker or as quick as healer companions because the mobs die faster. Especially if you send in your companion first to grab aggro and soak damage. At the end of the fight you'll be close to full and you can dismiss and resummon your companion in 1.5 seconds.

Toogeloo's Avatar


Toogeloo
04.27.2012 , 10:17 AM | #27
You don't have to gear Healing companions as badly as Tank or DPS companions to keep them effective in what they do in leveling.

You say that you can tear through Heroics and mass kill quests, but your companions need to be geared. Well, how long did it take you to get that gear for your companions?

I could just as easily tear through the planets, doing the quests a little slower, but not having to stop and check the GTM, harvest and craft, and constantly check vendors for upgrades, just using a Healer companion and only worrying about gearing myself and using my own abilities.

MouseNoFour's Avatar


MouseNoFour
04.28.2012 , 06:31 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
You don't have to gear Healing companions as badly as Tank or DPS companions to keep them effective in what they do in leveling.

You say that you can tear through Heroics and mass kill quests, but your companions need to be geared. Well, how long did it take you to get that gear for your companions?

I could just as easily tear through the planets, doing the quests a little slower, but not having to stop and check the GTM, harvest and craft, and constantly check vendors for upgrades, just using a Healer companion and only worrying about gearing myself and using my own abilities.
This.

Sorry but healing companions are just plain easier and faster to level with. Here is why.

1. No down time. By the time your finished looting, any damage left unhealed is gone. You can practically leap head first into the next lot of enemies the second your loot appears in your inventory. And no need to self heal either.
2. Use the gear you get from rewards to put towards your healer companion and they make you a god. Seriously i just killed Thanaton on my 46 Assassin and never went below 85% health the whole time. And i was super lazy. Talos is wearing 100% reward gear. No blues whatsoever. No purples. Not even a custom. He isnt even wearing a helm or an ear thingy.
3. There is absolutely no need to micro a healer. Just set their medwatch and forget they even exist or that you even have a health bar.
4. If you know how to kill stuff, they wont ever die. Your the one holding everyone's attention the whole time. Whether your a sniper, an assassin or a bounty hunter - everything will be attacking you and not them so again, forget they are even there.
5. They heal at range so aoe is almost never going to hit them.

Biggest reason of all - they are EZYMODE!

siegeshot's Avatar


siegeshot
04.28.2012 , 10:40 AM | #29
Not only are they ez mode but as said many times already. It's like choosing between;

Not being able to clear a group = maybe 50% of the companions (ranged dps if you're a melee, and vice versa)
Being able to clear it, but having to heal after every group (if there's a pat, you're hosed) = 25% (tank and some dps)
Happily jumping from group to group = 25% (the healers, such as Doc)

So really for my Jedi Knight > Sentinel > Combat, it's Doc if I want to hop around or Kira if I want down time between combat, and I don't even bother bringing the rest out anymore. It felt like this happened at Alderaan. I specifically remember landing and not being able to do anything without a maxed out T7.

Then I remember at Balmorra having to help (on my Smug) at least two different Jedi Knights complete the zone so they could get their Doc. I had to skip to the end to get my Doc on my JK also.

Whereas, and I've heard this commented several times, my Smuggler was just fine. So was my Trooper. Although my Smuggler would never bring out Risha or Guss. My Trooper would never bring out anyone other than M1, but he's a healer.

I don't know. Some of these there are spec reasons behind, some of them are just confusing. Smuggler and Risha are one example. Trooper and Jorgan are another one.

Some of them just seem like they're the token ranged dps, whether you need it or not. The only use I've ever had is if I'm doing 2p co-op and the other person is melee tank and has his companion healer, and we need a 4th dps then I use my companion ranged dps'er, but that is so rare it almost never happens. Likewise my Smuggler is a healer and has absolutely zero use for Guss whatsoever. I didn't even need to go get him except so I could have him go do missions. Likewise my Trooper is a healer and I will never need Elara. My Sith Warrior has a beefed up 2V and I won't ever need Quinn.
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

Nicki_Minaj's Avatar


Nicki_Minaj
04.28.2012 , 07:29 PM | #30
I really wish they had companion kits that changed their combat role for a hefty price.

Halfway through chapter two on my Operative Medicine spec. Vector is the coolest companion I have met so far on the game. But I don't like using him for his squishiness. Kaliyo can easily keep aggro and it gives me more backstap opportunity. Vector and I clean up mobs a little faster, but there is more downtime between fights. Likewise my next companion is a healer... very useless.

I'm not crazy about some Companion aspects though. I wish we could turn off companion affection points for some decisions/dialogue choices. With Kaliyo around I'm a disrespectful Agent, but when I pull out Vector I'm pretty well-mannered and professional. I don't make the dialogue choices I really want to make, I make the dialogue choices my companion wants me to make.