Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Those 'other' companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Those 'other' companions

MouseNoFour
04.26.2012 , 06:57 AM | #1
You know the ones i talk about. The crafting and crew mission mules who still wear the gear they came with, and who never leave your ship.

Biggest problem i see with all those excess companions, is there is never a reason to bring them out.

On my bounty hunter, i am quite happy to have Mako out permanently as i just enjoy the character. Same with Corso on my smuggler. Those characters i would consider to be lucky, as the one i want to have with me just happens to be the most efficient companion for them.

But, on my Sage i want to use Nadia all the time as i quite enjoy her story and her character. Warrior, i want to have his girl Vette with him on his adventures. My inquisitor, i want her romance out with her all the time - Andronikos.

The list goes on, but you get the picture.

A lot of these characters ive tried and tried to do my missions from 10-40 but without their most efficient companion counterpart, it is just way too slow.

For example, ive fully kitted and tweaked Nadia to the best i can on my 44 telekinetic sage. I can quite easily kill things, but after every fight i have lost between 10-40% of my health. If i continue onto the next set of enemies, it drops even lower. If i pause to heal back up, that is downtime and it adds up when you have to do it after every fight.

If i have Tharan out, im knocking over missions so fast i practically finish entire planets in one session.

grania
04.26.2012 , 07:07 AM | #2
I know. I had no complaints about my warrior because Quinn was who I wanted out.

But on my bh, I wanted to keep Torian out because he was my romance companion but I got so tired of healing after every fight. Then I wanted to try Gault, because he's cool, and then I wanted to try Blizz because he's cute.. but I always had to go back to using Mako.

Now I'm playing an agent and I really dig Vector but I just know I'm going to fall back into using the healing companion when I get him. It's just too tempting, and such a relief not to get so hurt all the time.

Interestingly, for my sorcerer I just used whoever was my newest companion and didn't have too much trouble. There wasn't a specific person I wanted out all the time - plus I could heal and bubble myself. I guess that made a big difference and "set me free" so to speak.
--,-'-{## ##}-'-,--
"Mama, I dies your character, sorree!"

BenjaminminU
04.26.2012 , 07:11 AM | #3
On my Sentinel i only ever use Doc, Kira and T7 are sitting in level 40 gear, Scourge is still wearing what he came with, and Rusk has only ever been off my ship once. Just wish that we could let companions leave the crew, like Rusk could actually be helping the republic instead of guarding my ship all the time.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

JerokTalram
04.26.2012 , 07:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MouseNoFour View Post
For example, ive fully kitted and tweaked Nadia to the best i can on my 44 telekinetic sage. I can quite easily kill things, but after every fight i have lost between 10-40% of my health. If i continue onto the next set of enemies, it drops even lower. If i pause to heal back up, that is downtime and it adds up when you have to do it after every fight.

If i have Tharan out, im knocking over missions so fast i practically finish entire planets in one session.
Nadia must not be as good as Kira. With Kira out I can do a group of mobs very quickly. So quickly that even with healing between mobs, we are a lot faster than with Doc. Probably because Doc rarely actually kills the mob he is fighting himself and I have to finish them off. Also if there's 2 or more strong, I will still have to heal after the fight. Though I'm more likely to survive a fight with 2-3 Strongs if Doc is out.

I would say Doc is easier to fight with but not faster. If I run with Kira it's because I want affection so I progress the romance.

Dayln
04.26.2012 , 07:18 AM | #5
I do tend to favor a single companion, particularly for the tougher content

However I am starting to spread around as I want to unlock all of my companions in legacy

Bioware has given a nice incentive to do so, and I am enjoying outfitting and using all of them now.
I have a bad feeling about this

MouseNoFour
04.26.2012 , 07:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JerokTalram View Post
Nadia must not be as good as Kira. With Kira out I can do a group of mobs very quickly. So quickly that even with healing between mobs, we are a lot faster than with Doc. Probably because Doc rarely actually kills the mob he is fighting himself and I have to finish them off. Also if there's 2 or more strong, I will still have to heal after the fight. Though I'm more likely to survive a fight with 2-3 Strongs if Doc is out.

I would say Doc is easier to fight with but not faster. If I run with Kira it's because I want affection so I progress the romance.
Force Armour dont protect worth a damn and the stuff Nadia is not actively attacking, attacks me and therefore i take damage once that crappy shield takes its 2 damage and breaks.

Im not walking around in level 10 gear, i am properly kitted out in customs with latest mods and everything. So unless i can kill packs in 3 seconds flat or stun them all til death, i WILL take damage. And that damage adds up when you dont have a healer companion out.

When i got Nadia i did every mission with her as i really loved her story. Trouble was, the really terrible inefficiency of no heals from the companion seriously slowed me down.

And i dont have companions out for affection during mission. I just power level their affection to max from the gtn.

The_Butler
04.26.2012 , 07:30 AM | #7
The only companion I've found I've had no use for on my Consular is Irresso.

I can barely remember why I got him and even less why I'd take him out!

Nadia is the best geared companion and nicest story but Zenith has always got me out of trickier fights so gets some tlc from me.

Tharan lurks around too and Quizen is a stalwart but after having him around so much early on kinda gets a bit forgotten.

Watching my wife play her JK though I am more than a bit jealous as Lord Scourge is pure awesome as is Rusk and Kira. Always felt that the JKs companions much better suit going down the dark side

Drudenfusz
04.26.2012 , 07:31 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayln View Post
I do tend to favor a single companion, particularly for the tougher content

However I am starting to spread around as I want to unlock all of my companions in legacy

Bioware has given a nice incentive to do so, and I am enjoying outfitting and using all of them now.
Buy them gifts, no need to actually use them as active companion.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

MouseNoFour
04.26.2012 , 07:42 AM | #9
I just tested all this on a few packs on Voss.

With Nadia out, i take on average 20% damage PER FIGHT. So that is 3 seconds between fights im healing up.

With Tharan out, i take the same amount of damage BUT! by the time ive looted the corpses, im 100% again.

Really annoys me how good healer companions are compared to damage dealing ones in terms of efficiency.

LOL transfer Tharan's healing abilities to Nadia and her melee to Tharan and i would be so happy.

redfurry
04.26.2012 , 10:24 AM | #10
OP: here's an interesting variation on your point. My main is a 50 Seer Sage - as a healer character, Tharan is a bit redundant. I do like Nadia's character, I like adventuring alongside my fiancée, and I feel quite efficient doing missions with her. But since I maxed out her affection way sooner than everyone else, and she has a Diplomacy bonus, more often than not I have to take out someone else because she's out working.

@Dalyn: as mentioned, fighting mobs with a given companion does nothing affection wise. You can buy them gifts, or you can do the actual missions with whoever you enjoy more, and then call out the other one when delivering the mission or picking new ones. There is a potential problem with this - in some cases (particularly before boss fights), the end of the conversation is immediately followed by a fight, so you have to kill the mob with your non-favorite companion. And of course, it is a bit less efficient to be swapping out companions all the time. But still, I feel it is an OK system.

@The_Butler: I have actually played a lot alongside Iresso. My reasons are:
- As a Seer, having a tank companion is the easiest and most convenient way to play - a DPS one is possibly more efficient, but also more stressful.
- Around the time I got him, Qyzen had way more affection than everyone else, so he was on crafting / diplomacy missions most of the time.
- This is now outdated because techblades are finally moddable, but before 1.2, Iresso's gear was quite easier and cheaper to keep upgraded.