Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Formal Apology to the Galactic Republic


Ardim's Avatar


Ardim
09.23.2012 , 03:49 PM | #1041
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Finally read it. And I really, really liked it. I think since the death of the Emperor Isaac has become a more complex character. And seeing him and Raii clashing now, without the pressure to work together and after Raii has solved his issues, was imo very well done.




Dre'zilli: No, because you didn't fail, you are not tragic. And the things you did weren't obviously heroic, so you are no hero. I might be biased on the second one, though. I am an Imperial and currently a Republic POW because of your actions after all.
But, if you take away the Shadow Dealer and all of your other masks, what is left of you?



OOC: Still, no spy. A spy sits in the enemies territory and gathers INTEL, maybe manipulates a little on a subtle way. Wash is as much of a true spy as James Bond.
Wash: You are biased on the second one. It's a shame you can't check my history to see the things I've done.

OOC: He doesn't do that anymore, I'll give you that. Still, there's more to being a spy than just that.

Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
I got 2 JKs to 50, picking the exact same choices along the way, got 2 SWs to 50 (although they were different), and have made multiple other classes past Act 1. AND I'm still having fun.
That argument holds no water with me.

Javik was the best warrior out of an entire race. He was the Avatar of Vengeance. Wash is history.
How many characters do you have in total? I have approximately 13-16. Going through the same world quests over and over and OVER again is NOT fun.

Wash defeated JADUS, who is stated to be second to the Emperor in power. He would not die so quickly.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

LogicLoup's Avatar


LogicLoup
09.23.2012 , 03:53 PM | #1042
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
They STARTED out with noble intentions and they INEVITABLY became corrupted.

Directly from Wookieepedia:

In the aftermath of the Great Hyperspace War, many individuals began to question the the justice of millions of lives being lost in a conflict between the Jedi and Sith. Some of these individuals came together in the Koros system, and with the declaration of the Koros Covenant they formed the Star Cabal—a secret organization dedicated to the preservation of galactic civilization through the control of information and influence.


And:

However, sometime before the Cold War, the Cabal took on a less noble purpose. Later generations of members began to subvert the organization's goals, taking advantage of the Cabal's resources for their own profit. Over time, the Cabal strayed from its goal of preventing war, and became a secret society dedicated to its own protection and continued prosperity.

As bad as they were, you cannot deny that they did SOME good.
Grats on sailing right past the point? Regardless of the intent of their founders, the Star Cabal that the canonical Agent takes down is wholly corrupt and concerned only with perpetuating their own place as the engineers of society. Look at any totalitarian regime you could care to mention and you'll find at its origin the intent to do right by its protectorate, but that does not, and can not, automagically wipe away culpability for the atrocities of the regime in question. lrn2history, n00b.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
09.23.2012 , 03:54 PM | #1043
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Wash: You are biased on the second one. It's a shame you can't check my history to see the things I've done.
Dre'zilli: Well, you could go public. Just sayin'.

Quote:
OOC: He doesn't do that anymore, I'll give you that. Still, there's more to being a spy than just that.
OOC: But he tried to invoke a spy trope he doesn't fit in anymore. "We are invisible and we will not be remembered in history. "



Quote:
Wash defeated JADUS, who is stated to be second to the Emperor in power. He would not die so quickly.
He did not. He distracted him long enough for Watcher 2 to establish the shield.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

drfumblez's Avatar


drfumblez
09.23.2012 , 03:56 PM | #1044
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
How many characters do you have in total? I have approximately 13-16. Going through the same world quests over and over and OVER again is NOT fun.

Around 10. And it is fun if you don't pick the same choices everytime.

Wash defeated JADUS, who is stated to be second to the Emperor in power. He would not die so quickly.
They seriously overestimated Jadus then. He's a push-over on the biggest scale. Plus, all of the characters in game are very Mary Sue-ish in power lvls.

And you didn't beat him. you kept him busy long enough for the shield to pop up.

Ardim's Avatar


Ardim
09.23.2012 , 04:00 PM | #1045
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
Grats on sailing right past the point? Regardless of the intent of their founders, the Star Cabal that the canonical Agent takes down is wholly corrupt and concerned only with perpetuating their own place as the engineers of society. Look at any totalitarian regime you could care to mention and you'll find at its origin the intent to do right by its protectorate, but that does not, and can not, automagically wipe away culpability for the atrocities of the regime in question. lrn2history, n00b.
Okay, that does it, I'm done. This is not fun anymore. This is pointless, and now you're going to throw insults at me. Seriously, calling me a n00b? Yeah, I'm out. I'm not debating this anymore.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

drfumblez's Avatar


drfumblez
09.23.2012 , 04:06 PM | #1046
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Okay, that does it, I'm done. This is not fun anymore. This is pointless, and now you're going to throw insults at me. Seriously, calling me a n00b? Yeah, I'm out.
Ardim, the ends don't always justify the means. And the insult didn't send you away, the fact that Logic flawlessly deconstructed your argument did. Don't be mad and RAEG QUIT because of that. Accept you're wrong, that Wash has evolved past his original incarnation, and move on. Such is life.

Ardim's Avatar


Ardim
09.23.2012 , 04:07 PM | #1047
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Dre'zilli: Well, you could go public. Just sayin'.



OOC: But he tried to invoke a spy trope he doesn't fit in anymore. "We are invisible and we will not be remembered in history. "





He did not. He distracted him long enough for Watcher 2 to establish the shield.
Wash: .... Please tell me you're joking.

OOC: He will not be remembered in history though. Only his mask, the Shadow Dealer, will be.

It still speaks volumes that he managed to survive long enough to do so.

Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
Ardim, the ends don't always justify the means. And the insult didn't send you away, the fact that Logic flawlessly deconstructed your argument did. Don't be mad and RAEG QUIT because of that. Accept you're wrong, that Wash has evolved past his original incarnation, and move on. Such is life.
No, the insult DID send me away. I can take debating, but if you are going to insult me and call me crap then f*** it. And Logic totally ignored what I said: The Star Cabal started off well, but they eventually became corrupted as evidenced in the Agent's storyline. When you confront them, they're only out for themselves. They ARE evil, but they DID do some good as evidenced from the past. Unfortunately, that's like a small light in the dark.

I'm sick and tired of this. Think what you want, I don't give a crap anymore.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

LogicLoup's Avatar


LogicLoup
09.23.2012 , 04:10 PM | #1048
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Okay, that does it, I'm done. This is not fun anymore. This is pointless, and now you're going to throw insults at me. Seriously, calling me a n00b? Yeah, I'm out.
My apologies: I thought the shift in tone from academic to lulz-intarwebz would serve as sufficient signal that no personal slight was intended. I realise, in retrospect, that a lack of tonal or other cues makes intent sufficiently muddy that it would have been better to err on the side of caution and leave the parting quip unwritten. If you'd prefer to leave the rest of the discussion where it stands, that is of course your right, and I will abide by your decision.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
09.23.2012 , 04:17 PM | #1049
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Wash: .... Please tell me you're joking.
Dre'zilli: Well, I don't know how dangerous it would be if these things were revealed...

Quote:
OOC: He will not be remembered in history though. Only his mask, the Shadow Dealer, will be.
True, but what is he if you take away this mask. He isn't Bruce Weyne without Batman, he is Peter Parker without Spiderman. A normal dude, nothing special.

Quote:
It still speaks volumes that he managed to survive long enough to do so.
Yes and no. Yes, holding his own against Jadus this long is quite impressive. But fighting to distract is different than fighting to win. Wash's primary weapon is that he is smart. I don't know his Mass Effect opponent, though, so I can't say who would outsmart the other.

Edit: My opinion about Star Cable's original intentions and if they were good is a little different by the way. Just as my opinion about most dictatorships starting out with good intentions.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
09.24.2012 , 06:45 PM | #1050
OOC: Time for Evardon's closure scene.

Dromund Kaas

Evardon stood at the ruined camp site. Every tent looked as if it was burned down long ago. The jungle had begun to claim this place back. Much had changed since he had left. He looked up into the sky. It was still clouded, but the rain had stopped some hours ago. The dark power, which had covered the planet into a never-ending thunderstorm, seemed to be vanishing.

He walked around a little, carefully searching for clues. There was no sign of bodies. But they could have been moved after the attack or carried away by Dromund Kaas' beasts. He looked into some of the tents. There had been a time when he had lived here. Before the unfortunate turns his life had taken since it had brought him to Korriban. Or perhaps not. He still couldn't remember the “first training” on Korriban. The one which had made him a Child of the Emperor.

To his surprise, all supply tents were empty. Of course, the food supplies would have attracted beasts. But the weapon supplies and especially the repair tent shouldn't. His heart lightened up. The Revanites were gone, not dead. And he needed to find them.

Now that he though about it, his heart sunk again. They could be everywhere. But he had to start somewhere.

***several days later***

Evardon filled his canteen with water in one of the rivers which ran through the jungle. He hadn't succeeded. He had searched Morun's camp and the Mandalorian camp. Both had been empty and destroyed, like the main compound. He even had reached the Wall and looked for Major Pathel from the distance, but without success.

There he had been spotted and driven off into the Jungle. It had taken two days to get rid of his pursuers. Afterwards he had lost track of where he was. His Dromund Kaas map was still functioning, but he wasn't tracked there anymore. Since the tracking used imperial satellites, he had made sure of that well before he arrived.

It started raining again and Evardon gave a deep sigh. Would he ever be able to find them? He took out tarpaulin to build a small bivouac for the night. Sundown had started already and today he wouldn't make it much further.

Tired from the march of the day, he fell asleep an hour later.

***

Something awoke him. A noise? He listened.

There it was again. But he didn't hear it, he felt it. It was like a whisper... a whisper through the Force.

He couldn't understand what it was saying, but it was there. He looked around in the darkness. Nothing. Or maybe... There, between the trees, he saw something.

***

As it turns out, being a Force Ghost has it’s own small advantages”, - mused Emerage.

Namely, it meant that one could wonder through wild intensive jungles of Dromund Kaas without constant danger of being bitten, eaten, or attacked and slain by ever-present rogue slaves or bandits.

Why there are so many of them here anyway? I thought with all those new Sith being tasked to eliminate the traitors, they all should be long dead already… How do they replenish their numbers so fast?

Emerage smiled at his own thoughts. That was his curse – former Overseer had an immense amount of free time and he had nothing better to do with it than to think about something, no matter how stupid or irrelevant.

In the last few weeks it has become somewhat of a habit for the Overseer to take long slow walks in the jungles of his homeworld. Granted, Emerage still was spending a huge amount of time in the reopened Academy, teaching his new students to resist the constant call of the Dark Side, but it was a slow, delicate process, and the fact that officially former Overseer didn’t exist anymore certainly didn’t help. To avoid exposure, Emerage was forced to meet with each of his acolytes individually and only for a short amount of time. The rest of his days Overseer had to spend beyond… and he was becoming pretty sick of it.

Emerage did visit Nathema though, but wonder didn’t happen – Overseer’s flesh didn’t come back, which was of a little surprise for him. Still, Emerage spent long minutes gazing from the distance at the planet’s new inhabitants with tremendous envy… and then went away, vowing to never return.

That’s when Emerage’s desperate need to feel the real world again, to touch it, combined with his growing resentment of his “home” forced Overseer to enter the reality without any long-term goal in mind. Naturally his attempt was an utter failure – in the midst of Dromund Kass jungles seething with life, Emerage felt himself no different then beyond . Still, at least he was in the real world now, instead of a lifeless darkness , so the former Overseer did the only thing that made sense to him – he went forward.

This is how his walks in the jungles started. Initially short and apathetic, eventually they became longer, with Emerage starting to pay intense interest to his surroundings and the only thing that could interrupted the Overseer was inevitable draining of the Force he burrowed.

One day Emerage remembered that the Revanites were still out there, somewhere. It took little efforts for him to find their camp, using his netherworld perspective, but the Overseer never bothered to make his presence known. He already had his own students, besides, Revanites were not among the most trusting people of this world, and Emerage had neither means nor desire to persuade them of his sincerity.

Also, he kinda liked to walk among their camp without being seen.

But there was at least one other man, who did want to meet the Revanites, so Emerage reluctantly left reality behind to find Evardon. To Overseer’s surprise he found the Sith on the same planet, in the jungles, a few dozens miles to the south of the Revanites new camp in the foothills of the mountains.

Emerage spent a few days monitoring the young man’s progress. Evardon was restless in his search, although it seemed to the Overseer that the Sith had no idea where to look. And still young man continued to wander through hostile jungles, stopping only to eat and to sleep.

This one is strong-willed and persistent… or maybe he just has nowhere else to go? Still I like his enthusiasm…

Regardless, Emerage was at first reluctant to offer Evardon any assistance. Because last time he entered an alliance with someone else, it cost him both his students and his life, not to mention the end result had weaken the Sith and the Empire alike. Granted, the corrupted Emperor was truly dead this time, but that size of collateral damage was too great, and, therefore, unacceptable.

Then Emerage remembered that Evardon was the only one in Omega, who called out Isaac on his mistake and then left it to pursue his own goals, similar to that of the Overseer himself. Perhaps this time things would be different. And even if not, Emerage could use some company anyway.

He could just appear beside Evardon, but decided that setting the man off balance would give him nothing. Instead Emerage sent a subtle warning through the Force and came out of thin air among the trees, a dozen meters from sleeping Evardon. Then the Overseer slowly went forward, wearing a friendly smile on his face.

***

A Sith? He looked like one, even though he smiled. But Evardon also looked like a Sith at the moment, wearing his old Sith Armor. But something was different. He couldn't feel the presence of this man. He was... there but not there. And then he recognized him.

"Am I dreaming, Overseer Emerage?" he asked flat out.

So he figured out who I am. Interesting.

- Pleasure to finally meet you face to face, Darth Evardon, - replied Emerage, suddenly aware that he has no idea, if the man has been made a Darth yet, - And no, I don't think you are. I do wonder though, what brings a member of Darth Isaac's order here, alone.

"I am no Darth, and I never will be," Evardon said fiercly. "For this title stands for everything I hate about the Sith. And I am here to finish the work Isaac has begun."

- Titles alone mean nothing, - dismissed Emerage, - It's actions through which they are earned should be judged. As for Darth Isaac's work, his goals proved to be somewhat changeable. Which of them you want to achieve - a just Empire or the Omega's paradise?

"A just Empire," Evardon stated. "I guess I wouldn't be of much use for building Omega's paradise in the jungle of Dromund Kaas," he winked.

Emerage almost laughed but managed to keep his usual calm appearance at the last moment.

So far so good. Down to business, then

- I suppose not,- agreed the Overseer,- unless you want to get the Revanites to join the fun. You are looking for their camp, aren't you?

"I am," Evardon nodded.

Is it that obvious, he asked himself, then he continued speaking. "The Revanites did indeed support Omega, if I am informed correctly. I will tell them Isaac's plans and my goals. If they want to leave the Empire behind, I won't stop them. But I hope they continue their work for a better Empire instead."

Emerage looked at Evardon silently for a few seconds, lost in his thoughts. The Overseer didn't like the idea of the Revanites joining Omega, but in truth he didn't know what they will decide either.

-Very well, - said the Force Ghost at last, - The Revanites were afraid that the Sith patrols would find them eventually, so they moved their camp closer to the mountains. It's to the north from here, and it will take about a week to reach on foot. I can lead you there, if you want.

"I am very grateful, Overseer," Evardon said. "Or however I should call you now."

A bitter smile appeared for a second on his lips, when the man unknowingly reminded Emerage just how much he had lost. But that was no longer important and therefore not worth thinking about.

- You can keep calling me that, - said Darth Emerage, - For it's all what I do now, in more ways than one. He decided that it would be a little too early to inform Evardon about his new students.

Perhaps later, when we will find out what the Revanites position regarding Omega is... Wait, did I say "we" already?

- I suggest you sleep till morning, Evardon, - added the Overseer,- You have a long trip ahead of you. I'll return tomorrow once you will be ready to move out

With this words Emerage turned away and disappeared in the air.


The next morning they started their journey towards the mountains. They travelled together, just like two people on their way. They even talked like normal people, mostly ignoring the Emerage was a Force Ghost.

As for the Overseer, he found it refreshing to be in someone's company once again, to be able to have and maintain an intelligent conversation. In his past Emerage wasn't much of a people person, his only company being his students or other Overseers, neither of which had any interesting ideas to offer in actual conversation. Meanwhile Evardon was nothing like any of them, and not once Emerage caught himself enjoying exchanging thoughts with him.

Of course, Evardon would get tired from the walk and become silent after some time everyday, while Emerage wasn't affected by that. Former Overseer used this time to recharge his supply of the Force, which kept him in the world and to check up on his students. Emerage still didn't tell Evardon about their existence, not because he distrusted the man, but because he was afraid the Sith could get it out of his head like Nox did with Bin Sain not so long ago.

The weather became more pleasant. It was raining less and the air was less humid. Probably because they had reached higher areas of Dromund Kaas. But from time to time they even got a glimps of the sun. And that was a clear sign that the Emperor's influence was fading.

***

The jungle had already changed into more climated woods and the nights had become colder, as Evardon noticed they were followed. He didn't hear anything, but he could feel through the force that someone else was there. He couldn't say how many, though.

"We are followed by them, aren't we?" he asked Emerage.

The Overseer simply nodded and winked out of existence only to return a few seconds later.

- There are four of them, each armed with a lightsaber and a blaster, - said he, - Don't worry, it's the Revanites. A guarding patrol, perhaps. Oh, and by the way, they see only you.

Evardon nodded, then called out: "I am looking for the Order of Revan!"

No answer. He called out a second time. Still no answer.

"Well, I'll just continue moving towards your camp then," he declared loudly and walked on.

The night was already closing in when he got the answer. Two people appeared from behind the trees. They wore the Revanite robes, but had concealed their faces. Several more of them appeared, at his sides and behind him. Evardon turned around a little, in total there were eight of them.

They must have alarmed a second patrol, he thought.

"Why are you searching for the Order of Revan?" one of them asked.

"I once was Lord Evardon Dalriad," Evardon said and took off his Sith mask. "I am a Revanite like you."

"Many have claimed to be," the Revanite said doubtfully. "Some of them were genuine, others were not. Those who were not brough division into our order and Sith lackeys into our camps."

"But I was a member since youth," Evardon said. "Jhorval knows me."

"Jhorval is dead," the Revanite said bitterly.

"Oh..." Evardon didn't know what to say. If Jhorval was dead, who else hadn't survived.

"Is... Is Dzuon alive," he asked after a moment.

"He is," the Revanite said.

"Can you take me to him," Evardon asked hopefully.

"We will take you into our camp. Our leaders will take time to judge you. Surrender your weapons and your mask."

He gave one of the other Revanites the mask, then took the lightsaber form his belt and gave it the one he had talked with.

The Revanite ignited it and looked at the blue blade.

"Uncommon for a Sith," he commented.

"The last battle I fought was not on the Sith's side," Evardon replied.

"And still you are an Dromund Kaas."

"I returned."

"Our leaders, and perhaps we will listen to your story. Blindfold him and bind him," the Revanite ordered. "I am sorry, but these are necessary precautions.

Evardon wanted to thank Emerage, but he couldn't. It would raise a lot of questions for the other Revanites.

"I understand," he said to the Revanites and held out his hands.

- Well, this is it, my friend, - stated Emerage with a smile, - I will be watching your progress from beyond. Perhaps, when the time is right, we shall meet again. For now, however, I wish you luck and may the Force be with you.

The Overseer vanished. Shortly afterwards, the Revanites took Evardon away.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall