Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A theory about the end of the cold war.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
A theory about the end of the cold war.

JimNoonienSoong
04.25.2012 , 10:45 PM | #1
We all know that the Republic is going to use many of the same warships and ranks that the current empire uses right now. I believe that this might not be a mistake on the part of bioware.

We've seen the incredibly harsh rule the Sith uses over the imperial military, many of whom and been observed to be full of honor and decency. But what if they finally snapped? What if the imperial military abandoned the Sith and joined the republic to form one government? It's not that much of a stretch, think about it. Their head of state wants to KILL EVERYONE, if this plot were to be unmasked, what's to stop the light sided sith from joining the Jedi, and the Imperial military from abandoning the rest of the sith?

Guildrum
04.25.2012 , 10:57 PM | #2
"What's there to stop the Imperial Military from abandoning the Sith?"

An hierarchy of super-powerful force users tends to be a decent deterrent for not rebelling.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

JimNoonienSoong
04.25.2012 , 11:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
"What's there to stop the Imperial Military from abandoning the Sith?"

An hierarchy of super-powerful force users tends to be a decent deterrent for not rebelling.
That same hierarchy is constantly backstabbing each other and will kill itself and have to go into hiding with only two allowed to exist at a time.

Guildrum
04.25.2012 , 11:07 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JimNoonienSoong View Post
That same hierarchy is constantly backstabbing each other and will kill itself and have to go into hiding with only two allowed to exist at a time.
It seems that once they go to war, they get their act together pretty well. I mean, in a matter of a couple decades, the Empire managed to seize from 1/3 to 1/2 of the galaxy, pretty impressive. (Albeit, they had advantages over the Republic that should have let them destroy them, but that's not the point.) And the Rule of the Two won't happen for about 2700 years, so they've got some time methinks. It's the same reason that the Empire's citizens haven't said, "forget this, I hear Democracy is in season" and had a revolution.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

JimNoonienSoong
04.25.2012 , 11:11 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Guildrum View Post
It seems that once they go to war, they get their act together pretty well. I mean, in a matter of a couple decades, the Empire managed to seize from 1/3 to 1/2 of the galaxy, pretty impressive. (Albeit, they had advantages over the Republic that should have let them destroy them, but that's not the point.) And the Rule of the Two won't happen for about 2700 years, so they've got some time methinks. It's the same reason that the Empire's citizens haven't said, "forget this, I hear Democracy is in season" and had a revolution.
The emperor is trying to kill everyone, pretty sure that's a nice motive to rebel. And they're gonna destroy themselves in this incarnation as well. Darth Rivan was the one who restarted a sith empire that was a shadow of it's former self with holocrons not far from now.

JAson_ST
04.26.2012 , 02:45 AM | #6
No one knows the emperor is plotting to kill everyone though.

DeutschGamer
04.26.2012 , 03:04 AM | #7
And most Imperials you interact with seem quite content with their lives, if not a bit lazy. Sure some harsh truths about the Empire can be hard to swallow, and there are some they aren't privy to, but at least for now there is no reason for the Empire to fall.

They should have taken over the galaxy during the first war.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Mutive
04.26.2012 , 05:49 AM | #8
Well, and to be fair, the Republic isn't all hearts and bunnies, either. It wouldn't surprise me if the average life for an Imperial citizen (at least a human citizen) is better than that of a Republic, just in that they're not really exposed to the Sith, but do have clean drinking water, enough to eat, etc. (Which seems to be a chronic problem Republic side.)

I mean, yeah, a lot of the Imperial higher ups want the Sith gone. But I suspect that they want the Sith gone and the Empire in *their* hands, not the Empire gone all together. (Or put under Republic rule.)

ImmortalAlien
04.26.2012 , 02:01 PM | #9
The Empire if very varied. Some of the honorable Imperials believe that serving the Empire, whether it's right or wrong, is the best thing they can do. Others believe the Republic is more evil, both due to perceived and real corruption and injustices the Republic has done.

The Empire is also well liked by those in the Republic that feel that their lives there are going nowhere. Defections are easy. Though, the Republic lures in those that perceive the Empire as unjust and want to fix that.

Also, the fact that the Emperor wants to kill all life is unknown to nearly all. Not even the SW finds this out. Even then, the Emperor is a galvanizing force in the Empire. His lack of guidance in the years after the Treaty of Coruscant is the reason for the divisions and corruption seen in the Empire. His return, regardless of his objective, would result in the Empire becoming more centralized and effective.

Tuscad
04.26.2012 , 08:04 PM | #10
I can't prove it, but I believe that the Emperor has the ability to use Battle Meditation, the Empire nearly crushed the Republic but then after the Emperor disappeared it became inefficient.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade