Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

RabidPopcorn
04.25.2012 , 05:41 PM | #81
Will we be getting any server-wide events, at least to the scale of the opening of the gates of Ahn'Qiraj in WoW? That would be rather epic.

Kalli
04.25.2012 , 05:52 PM | #82
The event was nice but it would have been nice to have the armor be a complete set, the bracers were missing, and the option to get something other than light armor. I would have liked a little heads up that something was going to happen kind of like a tabloid reporting the issue a couple of days before the event starts so players don't miss any of it

Deewe
04.25.2012 , 05:54 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

I want to hear your thoughts on why you thought the Rakghoul plague was fun.
  • It brought life to the servers
  • It made the world feel less static so more alive
  • It was well scripted and chained
  • Quests scaled
  • I liked the scavenger hunt
  • Go back to lower planets
  • The rewards where nice

Unasked question: what went wrong or should be changed
  • Not enough SW feeling bit too much WoW / horror movie
  • Waste of a good opportunity: the event should have been launched around Halloween.
  • Certainly not tailored for more casual gamer
  • Random companion reward is a miss in a such short time frame event
  • Too short notice, bad communication (forums vs in game and no emails either)
  • Way too short notice on announcement of the vendor removal and none official stepping in to at least address the concern.
  • There's no way a casual gamer would have been able to complete the scavenger hunt in a such short time frame without external websites. Next time at least point at general areas on the map.
  • Prerequisites for the new dailies was a bad move for such a short time frame.
  • Without context the "avoid Tattoine" message made it so some players indeed avoided them
  • Color choice of the crystal is a bad move to Razer products owners especially since you did not use all the available crystal color choices yet
  • Placing the event vendor not in a low level nor a neutral spot was a bad decision.
  • Removal of vendor after the event was a bad move, MMO wise.
  • The plague felt as griefing by others players: should have emailed vaccines to all players and told them how to get more.
  • Tag 10 players quest brought silly gathering in the fleet.
  • PvP tagging through the plague should not occur on PvE servers as PvP should always be optional on these.

Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Also, what kind of stuff would you like to see in the future?"
  1. More Star Warsy feeling events
  2. With a bit more multiplayer components
  3. Doable by lower characters
  4. More casual friendly
  5. Make items BoL (Bind on Legacy)
  6. Keep vendors up afterwards
  7. No need to use external resources (internet based guide) to do the events in an acceptable time frame
  8. Better notification before and during the event both in and out game

Beratac
04.25.2012 , 06:03 PM | #84
•It brought life to the servers
Some what.
•It made the world feel less static so more alive
No real change
•It was well scripted and chained
Scripted well and chained well
•I liked the scavenger hunt
n/a
•The rewards where nice
n/a
Unasked question: what went wrong or should be changed
•Not enough SW feeling bit too much WoW / horror movie
DID NOT FEEL STARWARS AT ALL.
Waste of a good opportunity: the event should have been launched around Halloween.
Good theme event
Certainly not tailored for more casual gamer
Im not casual so I got tired of seeing it every day for a week.
•Random companion reward is a miss in a such short time frame event
YES
•Too short notice, bad communication (forums vs in game and no emails either)
Events should be a suprise so short notice or announcement in game is good.
•Way too short notice on announcement of the vendor removal and none official stepping in to at least address the concern.
n/a
•There's no way a casual gamer would have been able to complete the scavenger hunt in a such short time frame without external websites. Next time at least point at general areas on the map.
n/a
•Without context the "avoid Tattoine" message made it so some players indeed avoided them
•Color choice of the crystal is a bad move to Razer products owners especially since you did not use all the available crystal color choices yet
n/a
•Placing the event vendor not in a low level nor a neutral spot was a bad decision.
•Removal of vendor after the event was a bad move, MMO wise.
n/a
•The plague felt as griefing by others players: should have emailed vaccines to all players and told them how to get more.
Give me a break. Its a plague thats how it works. It was not griefing.
•Tag 10 players quest brought silly gathering in the fleet.
Silly?? I wouldn't call it silly... My words are a bit harsh for what I call it.
•PvP tagging through the plague should not occur on PvE servers as PvP should always be optional on these.
agree with the pve servers.

Skolops
04.25.2012 , 06:03 PM | #85
- Community Involvement
- Daily progressing goals.
- World Bosses
- Plague In concept. - something which can effect a player in a relatively harmless way.

Dislikes:

- Terrible decision to lure hoards of 50s on PvP servers to a planet where level 20s are trying to quest.
- Plotline / event mechanics didn't sync. People disregarded instructions to contain plague due to event mechanics.
- No resolution: event just disappeared.
- Players not interested having no effective way to avoid it, required spending to avoid.

VorpalK
04.25.2012 , 06:04 PM | #86
Serious effort needs to be made to prevent griefing in events like this. In particular the apparent exploit allowing people to force others to flag PvP is the kind of thing that should NEVER make it through QA again.

I didn't reactivate my sub until the event was basically over, so I don't have much feedback past that.

Love events.

Hate when players are enabled to grief by exploiting the events.
CE Preorder VIP
PvE players on PVE servers should NEVER be forced into PvP through the actions of greifers. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167

Kholt
04.25.2012 , 06:09 PM | #87
I found it frustrating that some of the content for the event practically required you to be lvl 50. I think in the future, it would be nice if bw considered the other 49 lvls of the game when making limited time events.

The parts I were able to complete were a lot of fun though. I usually stick to pvp, but the story implementation was clever.. well what little bit I found out. Not a fan of the daily unlocks, but unlocking new parts of the story, in general, was neat. Like a mystery.

Senecalp
04.25.2012 , 06:12 PM | #88
I would have loved I instead of instantly dying you transformed into a Rakghoul and begin mindless attacking until taken down. Sort of like a zombie outbreak.

Lyriel
04.25.2012 , 06:13 PM | #89
Plus Column:
  • Surprise effect - No advance knowledge, not even for those on PTS.

Meh Column:
  • Rewards - They just didn't thrill me personally. I don't want a rakghoul following me around, as a pet or masquerading as my companion. If I had been interested in a rakghoul companion appearance, the randomness of the rewards (such that I could receive one I had absolutely no use for) would have been in the Minus column. And the black-core crystals also just aren't my thing.
  • Serial dailies - I've got mixed feelings about this. Plus: Keeps things interesting because you don't know what you'll learn the next day. Minus: If there are too many to unlock relative to the length of the event, players will be unable to get to the end.
  • Repetitive announcements in chat on Fleet - Annoying to have my entire chat box taken over by the same thing every few minutes.
  • Rakghouls - I have never cared for them, so creating an event around them was just not going to excite me.

Minus Column:
  • Plague mechanic - Encouraged large groups of players to go afk exploding at the Fleet load in point. FPS ground to a halt, once the area actually finished loading. Also encouraged them to seek out players to infect; some players took that further by going to low level worlds to infect people.
  • Vaccine - Cost was high for low level non-alts, and didn't persist through death. When the latter is combined with dying due to involuntary PvP (see below), extra un-fun.
  • Involuntary PvP flagging on PvE server - Seriously. If I want to PvP, I know how to queue for it. If I want it all the time, I'll roll on a PvP server.
  • Mandatory PvP for completion - Having an event boss in a PvP area on a PvE server meant I had two distasteful choices: PvP, or miss the Codex entry (which, being somewhat of a lore junkie, is not making me happy).

End result of all this is that I just avoided the danged event altogether after running the dailies once and seeing the rewards and behavior involved. Too little fun for my limited play time when balanced against the meh rewards and unpleasant play experience (PvP griefing, lag, etc.).

Future Events:
I realize what I posted above is rather critical, but I don't mean for that to be taken out of the context of this specific event. I love the idea of the event. Not every event is going to appeal to every player. This one wasn't my cup of tea, and that's fine. I'd just like it if future events took into account that not everyone wants to PvP (especially not involuntarily), and not every low level character is an alt.
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."
―Carth Onasi, hero of the Republic

Ultimas
04.25.2012 , 06:14 PM | #90
Rakghoul Event was fun, but lets get a DIRECTIVE 7 event or something similar with a droid invasion on Correllia or Belsavis. Either that or have something that is FACTION EXCLUSIVE and occured on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to more surprises.