Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

RickRedOne
04.25.2012 , 02:42 PM | #31
I thought the event was great. A few of the things that impressed me.

You did not have to be near level cap to enjoy the event, there was something for everyone.
You could do as much or as little as you wanted.

The few things I could see as improvements.

The event could have done a better job of being "Galaxy Wide". The announcement that was in the fleets should have been at all space ports. I can see people missing out because they don't go to the fleet that often. But you travel through ports all the time.
Closure. There really wasn't a closure to the event, it just disappeared. I would have liked to see some follow-up news casts/reports that told of the plague being contained.

For a first time event, with no PTS testing I think it was brilliant.
Job well done.
The Details, it is all about the Details
Adapt, Overcome, Improvise

Helishron
04.25.2012 , 02:43 PM | #32
I really liked the lack of notice. Just logged on and got the announcements about the outbreak. After hearing about it I went off to tat to see what was going on. Although I did check out an on line guide of where to get things it did not ruin the experience of the event at all. I also liked how it was progressive with new things popping in every day although i can understand some peoples frustration with this it was a nice reward for playing through all the content and succeeded in allowing the event to extend over a longer period of time.

Liked to see:
  • The plague, or event, spanning several worlds.
  • The fleet military should have attacked anyone who had the plague. To some extend this was present if you were infected and went to the hanger bay but I would have liked to see the immersion increased to anywhere on the fleet or anytime you were scanned by the military in an area.
  • The rewards for companions should not have been chosen and not random. The randomness was the main reason i did not waste any dna on them. Who wants to spend the hard earned dna and get the same thing several times.
  • The vaccine lasting through death
  • Some players were very vocal about not liking the plague idea and not wanting to participate in it. So perhaps something that would allow the person to opt out of the event. Something similar to a PVP tag on PVE servers. If you want to do it you have to make the choice to join in. The choice could be activating the tag or participating in the missions.

Altairien
04.25.2012 , 02:46 PM | #33
Mildly interesting (only mildly) until I found out I wouldn't be able to finish due to the event's short length. You know, many people have real life responsibilities that trump gaming; family, work, school, etc. Look to other MMO's (WoW, LOTRO, etc.) for event durations. Weeks minimum. One week tells me that there is a definite lack of concern for players of my playstyle and available gaming time. That by itself killed it for me.

In addition, having an event on a mid-level planet where it was necessary to kill cap-level bosses just isn't fun in my opinion. Never could get into a group. Adverts were always "level 50 please!" and I'm not 50 yet.

The rakghoul event only left me with a feeling of frustration and disappointment. Lesson learned. If this is the way Bioware will be running their events, then I won't even bother to participate from now on.

Hierodule
04.25.2012 , 02:48 PM | #34
Random boxes seemed ok to me: i got the one I wanted first time out.

My main thing is to make sure the planet codex is all achievable if youre going to send people to scan wreckage all over the planet. It makes a fine time to get entries/datacrons, but I'm disappointed by the nagging unfinished entries.

Kestulefa
04.25.2012 , 02:50 PM | #35
To echo many of the sentiments here:

1. The day chaining was difficult for those who could not get on every day or were on vacation. Event would have been better if it had gone a full 2 weeks or so. No more than 15 days, to keep it new and fresh, with the chained quests only through the first week (to give second-week jumpers a fair shake.)

2. Persist the vendor another 3-5 days, for those who may have missed the end. Sure, it sounds strange, but there are STILL people on our server trading DNA. Give the player commerce network some additional time to play out.

3. Lock the random box rewards to unique, so the loot table ignores ones you already have. OR, make the random box rewards tradeable like everything else. Someone on our server had FIVE QUINN SKINS, and no Warrior (much less the intent for five.) I would have loved to buy one from him if possible.

4. As far as environment went, spot on. It was sudden, random, and completely like an outbreak would work. The news reel was a great touch, as was the Fleet announcements. Maybe... space the ambient announcements a bit more, just to give it less "in your face" on the fleet; let those who enjoy cognitive dissonance the ability to ignore the happenings in the rest of the universe.

5. I agree with a previous poster's sentiment: the announcements could have been galaxy-wide. I should have heard about it on Corellia, or Voss, or Korriban. Every time you hit a spaceport or station, they scanned you; it would have been great to hear a news burst ambient in that area, or a viewscreen to get the newsreel.

Overall, I loved it. Despite some of the nay-saying, it did not impact my normal questing/RPing/gaming at all, and I was able to indulge the event to my level of enjoyment. Another day or two, and I would have had some alts get the title, but I got it on the one that mattered. It was well-handled and thought out for the first random world-event for this game.
"Sanity is a state of mind forced upon me by those who know how powerful I am without it."
Begeren Colony RP server, Bloodlines of Korriban

MystiQ
04.25.2012 , 02:51 PM | #36
Ever since I first set foot on Taris I hated Rakghouls, they were irritating and stupid, and were no challenge whatsoever. The latter part of that did not change with the event, however what set it apart from the Taris were that the Event in itself was quite fun, and the rewards superb (if only they'd scale with armor profeciency and get an augment slot, but I heard you'll get to that later). However the random Companion Customization boxes were idiotic, ended up with like 4 Elara dorne and 3 Adronikus for instance. Too many DNAs wasted on worthless rewards. So if you plan to do this again in the future, make each individual customization purchasable with whatever the event currency might be, as a tradeoff, make it more expensive. In retrospect 60-80 DNAs for a customization should be adequate, atleast from my own personal findings.
I did however assume that, in light of the new Legacy Update, which this event came quite soon after its release. There would be more Legacy bound items to be procured. I half expected the Armor to be bind to legacy in fact, which is a point I'd like to take up with you. I'd Love to have parts of that armor on my now currently lvl 17 Shadow, which I waited with creating till 1.2 for the new races. However, due to him beeing too low level I was unable to get this armor set for him.(I level him in a group with 2 other people, which we were unable to do during the event) So Bind the stuff to legacy.. Not to mention you could hoard quite abit of armor by doing the daily quests every day, which as it stands, leaves you with several useless pieces of gear taking up bank space.
The do the daily one day, unlock the a new one the next day system was actually quite nice, always had me come back for more, What new stuff do they have planed for us today? I always said. And some of these quests were quite entertaining.

All in all, I'd call the event a success, altough some people were upset with the blowing up thing, it was a fun addition with no loss other than 5 seconds of your time in the event you blew up, and since the DNAs you got were sellable, you could potentially make alot of credits for doing pretty much nothing.

In short: Awesome! Keep doing it! I want more, and I want it yesterday!

EDIT: One further addendum, don't put PvE event stuff in a PvP zone ever again. On servers where one side greatly outwieghts the other in numbers, this just turns to borderline harrassment.

Now onto what I want in the future. Something to do with Czerka would be great. Something to do with Mandalorians, would be great. A way for Republic people to get an "iconic" set of Mandalorian Armor would be downright AWESOME.
I trust you guys to come up with more awesome stuff which will keep me occupied for hours on end. Just don't fall into the temptation of making it a "grind".
Zero Ravens
European casual Republic guild with a history.
Check out our Recruitment thread ->here<- ... And our Guild portal->here<-
Huttball - A tale about dying in a fire.

ArmoredJuneBug
04.25.2012 , 02:53 PM | #37
Personally I found the event awesome!

Both the questline(s) and rewards, with the side benefit that it's also been a great boost to open world PvP (I play on a PvP server) as there has been actual resources to fight over.

The fact that it is/was an on-off event also makes me quite happy to have been playing the game right now and means the rewards will have a special appeal.

I'd love more of the same but if there are any things to add to that I'd consider the following:
  • Both recurring/seasonal and on-off events would be nice.
  • I don't agree with the complaints about the event being poorly communicated, though adding more obvious information in the launcher is probably a good idea going forward.

Psnacky
04.25.2012 , 02:54 PM | #38
I really enjoyed the event, especially the fact that it came unannounced. But, there are a couple of things that I think should be changed for such events in the future.

1) I was disappointed that the mod-able gear rewards were light armor and therefore impractical for my Trooper, please have have future mod-able event gear come in light, medium and heavy variants so that they can be used by all classes.

2) The event was too short. I liked how new quest phases opened every day but with the event only being about a week long there wasn't enough time for us casual players who don't play multiple hours every day to see everything. This would have been merely annoying but on the heels of "casual players aren't 'valued,' loyal' or 'supportive' no matter how long they have been subscribing" it was quite aggravating.

NineInchNinja
04.25.2012 , 02:58 PM | #39
the things I liked:

- That both factions had to go to the same areas to complete the quests. This lead to impromptu world PvP at some points, and silent truces at other times

- That there was no warning or instruction when it occurred. This lead to a lot of discovery, exploring and sharing amongst the community

- The humour. from the news casts to the plague's mechanism for transmission, the containment officers rappelling in from the ceiling... lots of fun

- The planning and forethought. It was a nice tie-in with the new flashpoint, there were lots of 'little' things, like the announcements, the droids in the hangars, that made it feel like more like an event and less like "Go here, do that, kill mobs."

Things I didn't like:

- The 'daily' quests. Some were ok, but doing them repeatedly resulted in a break in the immersion. In my opinion, daily quests should make sense to be done repeatedly. For example, a quest to kill certain amount of rakghouls or infected players a day would make sense. Doing the same research every day and killing the same ship captain does not.

- The location - I love Tatooine, but most of the places I went were places I had already seen while leveling. Send us to the little used areas of Alderaan or Hoth

- The rewards - This was a bit of a let down. Two colours of the same pet, a cool customization that isn't tradeable and only has a 1/8 chance of being for one of your companions, and colour crystals which are only really relevant to the force-using classes (because non-force users barely ever even notice the colour of their blaster shots). These all felt a little underwhelming. The rewards were easy to get, and so shouldn't be anything too crazy. Simply making the companion customizations relevant to your character would have made a big difference.

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun and I look forward to more events like this.

Neamhan
04.25.2012 , 02:59 PM | #40
I thought it was mostly great! I liked that there was no advance notice and we discovered things as we came across them, yet the event lasted long enough to make sure everyone would have a chance to get everything they needed without lasting so long people got sick of it. I also liked that there was a new mission every day so the dailies wouldn't get boring.

The only things I didn't like: The achievement bug, the vaccine to the plague not lasting through death and the random companion boxes (I'd have liked to be able to choose the customizations for myself).

Other than that it was about as good an event as one could hope for.