Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

nicosand
04.30.2012 , 10:11 AM | #371
I my self loved the event, the fact that there was no anouncement beforhand, made it even better. This helps to give the gear and rewards you get for "completing" the event more of a rare status. As I my self managed to get all the containment gear for my main, the new title, both pets and a few crystals, I dont see the need to have kept the event going on longer, but I do sympathize with those who where not that lucky, but in the end, that's how it works. Maybe on the next event I wont be able to get anything out of it, and those who missed out on this will. For future events, there really is no limits to what you could do, but what I want most of all, is that when ever there is a big world event like this one, I would love it for there to be a proper aftermark on the planet(s) that were affectet.

rhirne
04.30.2012 , 12:41 PM | #372
Personally, I think the event was slightly too short - esp. since it was not announced previously. Luckily for me, I did not have a lot of plans so i was able to login and run the dalies. There were those who missed the event simply because of the fact it wasn't announced and unless they came to the forums, never realized it was there. I only realized it was there because I was hunting for datacrons on Tatooine and all the sudden "Daily Mission Area" like "What is this?"

I think for the most part, the event itself was great. It was a nice break from the daily hum-drum and gave you something else to do. Contrary to what some are saying, I think the exploding was a great twist. I would have liked to see the Jawa vendor stay around a little bit longer to sell off my extra DNA samples.

here are some things I would say could have been improved upon:

1. Notification of the event. I know you want to keep some things as a surprise, but there just wasn't a lot of notification. Even in-game, the only notifications were on Tatooine and the Republic Fleet (of which I do not visit either on a regular basis). So unless you were to go there, you may never of known of the event. Even a simple in-game email would have been all it took.

2. Unlocking of the Dalies. Because of #1 and because of how the dailies unlocked, it made it difficult for some to complete. esp if you missed a day for any reason. I complete Dailies 1, 2, and 3, then my son gets appendicitus and I'm at the hospital for days 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. I only have 2 days left, and 3 pieces of equipment to get. It would have been nice if the prerequisite would have been complete the quest before it and then the new one will unlock. Daily unlock on the actual new quest appearing (quest 1 opens day 1, quest 2 opens day 2, etc...), but have it so that If I'm on day 4, I can still do 1,2,3,and 4, but I have to do them in order If I hadn't completed them previously.

3. Being kicked into PvP when someone explodes near you. This one wsas more annoying than anything. People were camping the jawa, or camping the boss spawn locations, throwing you into PvP, and then taking you out. Getting auto-flagged for PvP wasn't cool. And since Tatooine is an PvP world with both Republics and Imperials, just made it annoying.

4. Injections not persisting through death. While minor, it would have been nice if the injections persisted through death. I mean, the virus persisted through death, so why not the vaccine?

For future events, I would love to continue seeing world / universe wide events. i don't want them to become "normal" meaning "Hey, every 2nd week in April is Rhakghoul Plague week." I would like to see some random events as well.
On Tatooine, and in Balmorra's night
No Sith shall escape my sight
To those who follow the Dark Side's plight
Beware the power - A JEDI'S LIGHT

Gomigakari
04.30.2012 , 08:25 PM | #373
Quote: Originally Posted by Owsley View Post
I loved the way that it unfolded. I logged in early Sunday morning close to the start of the event. I first noticed th kiosk pop up on fleet and after viewing the "news report" my immediate reaction was "YES! " I've played MMOs since UO was launched and I give you big kudos for how this went down. It brought a real sense of excitment and a feeling that it was an actual breaking news event. Players were reporting bits and piecess of information and like with any major news story, the internet was abuzz with both correct information and wild speculation. Well played. My only comment would be to keep the secrecy and scarity of official ingame info intact with future events. Figuring out what was happening had a real "fog of war" feeling. One improvement would be to leave the vendor up for a few days after the event.
^^ This.
"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh...everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

rpointon
05.01.2012 , 05:42 AM | #374
i know the game shouldnt be too focused on the "rakghoul" idea, but i think its still got a bit of life in it yet.

I am therefore thinking something like the rakghoul plague going to Hoth (huge planet with LOADS of open space like Tatooine had).

You would have infected Wampas attacking a base that you have to defend by using turrets first, then should any get inside the base you have to fight them without the help of turrets.

The_Swan
05.01.2012 , 05:51 AM | #375
Hi,
I think the event was overall really nice - well done !
Getting the codex entries so you found out what happened was appreciated, I like story.
I feel the following would be nice to consider for future events:
*Make some form of ingame tell that the event is now live and how long it will last. Perhaps via ingame mail or chat.
*The one daily quest per day in that specific questchain shouldn't have been one per day for late starters. You should be able to catch up atleast.
*Perhaps we should have some way of knowing how many codex entries can be found for an event.

Keep up the good work.

Nydus
05.01.2012 , 08:53 AM | #376
It was interesting and got a few of our absentee guild mates to log back in. I write this as Guild Master of a group of casual players. 15 strong (weak), only about 3 of us on at any given time. Anyways, a lot of these folks (not me, I'm hooked) are probably the ones BW wants to keep logging in to make it a success so I write this from their perspective.

Best Parts
Winning a title was a good idea, and getting a pet. I liked the custom gear and other rewards. Forcing players to cooperate was sweet. Made a lot of new friends and I found myself just helping folks out after I got the codex entries.

Humbly Suggested Improvements
Do not think it was a good idea to remove the vendor immediately. Guild mates are sending me batches of rakghoul DNA still and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. I liked the custom gear BUT I don't like how I can't send this to other people in my guild (e.g. I have bounty hunter custom gear that I will probably never use that I can't send to one of my guild mates as a reward for helping out).

I understand why you guys went with the daily quests. However, by the time I realized what I had to do to fully make use of the event there was hardly any time for me to do everything and definitely not enough time for the rest of the guild to accomplish much (even though they had interest). I think some people were fairly disappointed at spending an entire night on the game and still not getting a title.

Perhaps less of a hidden series of quests next time and more: if you want this title this is what you have to do (and everything else is a bonus along the way) and try to make sure that players can do this within a reasonable amount of time.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Witnezz
05.01.2012 , 08:55 AM | #377
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Swan View Post
*The one daily quest per day in that specific questchain shouldn't have been one per day for late starters. You should be able to catch up atleast.
A choice between light, med, and heavy armor would have been nice.
Aside from that ... epic awsomeness.
--== 1020 ==--
--= 367 =--
--=111111=--

GalacticKegger
05.01.2012 , 09:15 AM | #378
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
It was interesting and got a few of our absentee guild mates to log back in. I write this as Guild Master of a group of casual players. 15 strong (weak), only about 3 of us on at any given time. Anyways, a lot of these folks (not me, I'm hooked) are probably the ones BW wants to keep logging in to make it a success so I write this from their perspective.

Best Parts
Winning a title was a good idea, and getting a pet. I liked the custom gear and other rewards. Forcing players to cooperate was sweet. Made a lot of new friends and I found myself just helping folks out after I got the codex entries.

Humbly Suggested Improvements
Do not think it was a good idea to remove the vendor immediately. Guild mates are sending me batches of rakghoul DNA still and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this. I liked the custom gear BUT I don't like how I can't send this to other people in my guild (e.g. I have bounty hunter custom gear that I will probably never use that I can't send to one of my guild mates as a reward for helping out).

I understand why you guys went with the daily quests. However, by the time I realized what I had to do to fully make use of the event there was hardly any time for me to do everything and definitely not enough time for the rest of the guild to accomplish much (even though they had interest). I think some people were fairly disappointed at spending an entire night on the game and still not getting a title.

Perhaps less of a hidden series of quests next time and more: if you want this title this is what you have to do (and everything else is a bonus along the way) and try to make sure that players can do this within a reasonable amount of time.

- Arcada
Well spoken, err ... written. For a first world event though extremely entertaining it was probably a bit involved for some. Many in our guild were so immersed in our class stories that we just didn't have time to galavant the galaxy for DNA samples. Though we did make a killing selling what we had. Shorter and sweeter might be a way to go for awhile, which could allow for more world events to be introduced. At least until more players have maxed characters. Maybe insert the larger ones into a rotation every quarter or so as a "special reserve" vintage?

Overall though the Plague was ingenious as one would see dozens huddled in fleet dancing, sitting and smoldering green. First day of the event my group and I hit the bank in fleet and got infected together, but didn't know anything about it. So after grabbing extra stims & medpacs from the bank we ran Reaper & got to the bridge. Right when we crossed after CCs were applied - our healer exploded, followed by the rest of us. That was a Kodak moment. Vent was full of "what the ... !?! We figured it out and went back to the med droid for some Rakghoul serum.
Peace out . . .

Pelyrica
05.01.2012 , 10:38 AM | #379
Hello. I did enjoy the rakghoul outbreaks. Not sure what all the QQ is about - I think you guys did a tremendous job there. As far as wanting for new types of content pertaining toward world events, I would like to see more intrusive base attacks utilizing world bosses w/ minions. Something that can drop multiple class rewards w/ rare items, but would take something upwards of 80 players to effectively down. Preferrably something legacy or pattern related - or even a good sum of credits as per the damage inflicted by each individual's character. This way, "johnny-come-lately" types can't get a lion-share of the credits, but can still walk away with some sort of contributing prize. IE 60 strikes w/ a lightsaber = X damage = 5940 credits for example. Use the combat log of the creature to determine prize catagory by damage done and set several catagory ranks in which the program would generate a prize when looted. So let's say 6 catagories divisible by per 20000 damage done. After 20k, then a different bracket reward from 20k-40k, etc. Creature would be near unbeatable initially, but wouldn't regain health - so there would be imminent defeat. If an individual logs off to change toons, their already contributed strikes would be lost as per log wipe - and they would receive no credit on the creature. This is just a rough idea - so feel free to play with it as you see fit. Am reminded of the Lord Kazzak invasion event from World Of Warcraft just before they released the second expansion.

Phyreblade
05.01.2012 , 01:26 PM | #380
It was a very fun, enjoyable event, and I had an absolute blast with it. Fun running around with my little crimson Rakghoul pet, too. Any event that involves the addition of little pets is a plus, imo.

Mind you, I'm at end-game. I'm feeling pretty disconnected from my own characters' personal stories. Nothing wrong with the whole "interlude" portion of the game I'm experiencing, mind you. I like running operations in the meantime of additional story-telling.

Still, when you ask what sort of "event" I'd like to see added in the near future, some sort of event that provides an opportunity for some exploration of our own character stories would be amazing. Maybe visiting places or sites pertinent to our companion characters, I don't know. Just something fun and engaging that's more personal in nature, a small bit of companion story maybe, something.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel Duncan, Sawbones Scoundrel
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix