Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

JarekCyphus
04.29.2012 , 11:40 AM | #361
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparxysparx View Post
A short some up:
Since there was no advance notice, some people missed it because of vacation.
The daily chaining (one new daily when you finish the one of the previous day) was kind-of disturbing to people who couldn't play every day.

The plague lasted through death, while the vaccine didn't, which in some points wasn't all that cool, especially with those who did not own a level 50. (High price for vaccine)
My guild is of opinion it could have lasted a bit longer.

Also, especially for those on pvp servers, more than one vendor for the unique currency would've been nice. Vendor camping like hell, I've seen and heard it. Although some interesting wars did develop in the dune sea...

Negative effect on warzones was slightly annoying -- when infected, it'd randomly break your stealth (when you normally would get "stunned", which was disabled in WZs apparantly)

I'd say, keep the events coming! Good work!
I missed it because of a deployment, but you won't see EA give a hoot about it. I'm disappointed that I missed it, and I would be grateful if they restored the Rakghoul event for another week, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
_____HAGALAZ KAHN_____________________________
MANDALORIAN COMMANDO
___________________________STAR WARS_________

Talamars
04.29.2012 , 12:33 PM | #362
hated it.

i explicitly signed up on a PVE server to avoid being forced into PVP.

and don't give me that "you neednt go there" cr**, my toon already was on Tatooine, and he is too low lvl for alderaan...

next time you do something like this make a pop up box with "Do you want to enter the PVP event ?" to give people to chance to opt out.

LeonBraun
04.29.2012 , 08:18 PM | #363
I would have had it last a little longer, maybe 3 weekends (16 days) instead of 9 days. Some never got a chance to get all the daily unlocks done, as the information took a while to get around.

I would like to see a homeworld event at some point where the other faction invades. Or at the very least a contested planet is fought over, or invaded.

The dynamic event was great! I was on the fleet when it happened. It was a very welcome event that got many talking and many active also. Keep up the great stuff BioWare!
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

MbaxterBeau
04.29.2012 , 08:18 PM | #364
I missed the event but just exploded with it today and LOVED it! Hoping I catch it again because it cracks me up. I think it would be cool if you had an event where people got random drops of parts to create their own pet droid.

It would be awesome if they could arrange the parts in different ways to make them more unique.

Yes I'm a dork.

anexxia
04.29.2012 , 09:54 PM | #365
Overall, I loved the event. I participated on my level 40 and my level 50, both of whom got the DNA samples-purchased rakling pet as a result of their daily efforts.

I thought there was good immersion for players at a variety of levels thanks to having the news terminals and intercomm announcements on the fleet. I personally had a lot of fun with doing some in-character blogging about the event too on inquisitorsroadhouse.com since it was such a fun event.

I had one character's plague Origin quest get bugged, with the last piece not being clickable, which was not resolved by the end of the event, which meant she didn't get the rakling pet from it which was a bummer. And after having such a great iterative story, with new quests popping up each day, I was a little surprised and disappointed to have the event just sort of vanish at the end. I guess I was expecting some sort of finale. The cap to the story arc could have been a big world event, an all galaxy announcement, or even some sort of in-game mail letting me know that thanks to my hard work and DNA samples the plague had been contained. But these are minor areas for improvement. When I logged in and saw the plague had vanished, I thought I must have missed the end cap to the story.

Keep up the great work and please be implementing more of these in the future! A nice alternative to holiday events.
_*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*__*--*_
You can also find me at http://inquisitorsroadhouse.com

Freor
04.30.2012 , 04:27 AM | #366
It was indeed nice event. To answer the question why it was fun:

- Surprise event, long enough so one wouldn't miss it during a weekend holiday etc, but short enough to not become another daily.
- Soloable content, with some bonuses for teams.
- Reason to visit old planet (funny to see 75% of Tatooine population level 50 )
- Nice idea behind the rewards, although infected companion, Ghostbusters suit or slime-colored crystal aren't really for my taste. Maybe for halloween. But the idea was good, special pet and the crystals with good stats especially.

For future events,

- It would be nice to have at least one really tough boss/encounter for solo play. None of the "bosses" in this event were really any challenge.
- The announcemets on fleet were really nice, immersive way to spread the word, but after few days they became bit invasive. Maybe just visual "news" at the screens with an in-game mail from "containment agency" or whatever it was would have been enough.
- Personally I found the virus spreading on fleet pretty hilarious and just like real virus spreading, but I can also understand some might consider it disturbing as well. And for really new players (though I dont see them spending too much time on fleet) 2k for vaccine is actually notable money. So a bit better "opt-out" might be good.

Tiranea
04.30.2012 , 04:57 AM | #367
Personally I loved the event. Specifically, I loved that:

- it came as a surprise
- it lasted long enough that you could take part in everything without playing every day, but not so long that you burned out on it
- it brought people back to a levelling planet
- it got people interacting with each other, whether in "plague parties" on the station or by encouraging ad hoc world PvP with the enemy
- it felt like there was some content for everyone: exploration, dailies, pets, world bosses etc. (pugging the world bosses was really exciting!)

If I had to criticise anything it would be that:

- the personal gating for the daily quests felt unnecessary. It was annoying to miss a day early on (like I did) and then be forever out of the loop as your friends go on about the newest daily (which you can't get yet). People should be allowed to "catch up" to a certain extent.
- the random customisation boxes giving duplicates. Unlike others I didn't mind the randomness in principle, but when you only have enough currency to buy five of them and you get two different ones and three doubles that you can't use or trade... that kind of sucks.

I do hope that there will be more events like this in the future and that they'll continue to come as a surprise. However, at the same time I'd like it if they didn't all follow the exact same pattern (just grinding whatever currency for the newest pet/crystal etc.) as this carries the risk of making things feel same-y and bland.
My personal SWTOR Fan Blog: Going Commando

SWGEvictee
04.30.2012 , 06:19 AM | #368
I really enjoyed the Rakghoul plague event. It made for a nice break from regular activities.

Two corrections for any future events however. One, any counter to an event condition needs to persist thru death if the event condition does. Two, any event condition should not auto flag a player to PvP status even if oassed along by someone who is.

Other than those two points, which I didn't personally encounter but others did, the event was a blast and I loved it.

Zzxe
04.30.2012 , 07:08 AM | #369
This event reminded me of epic events back in Asheron's Call when the big bad evil guys would roam to lands and kill random players. I even got my in-game character name from one of these evil dudes.

World events like this are great and actually help to give us a sense that we are actually in a "living" and evolving world instead of just a game.

Here's what worked:
  • Completely random surprises like this are awesome. I think that pretty much sums it up and I look forward to more of these in the future
  • Making the rewards Bind on Equip was a GOOD idea for those who missed the event due to vacation; those players could purchase the rewards if they missed out, even though the amount of time the event lasted was adequate, in my opinion. People will still complain that they would have to then go and buy the items from other players, but this STILL gives them the option to obtain the items if they want them.

Here's where improvement should be made:
  • Players should not be forced to take part in the event in any way if they choose not to; imagine you just started playing SWTOR as a new player and you could not understand why you kept dieing from a plague that you had no control over, since it took place on a planet many, many levels above you
  • There should be multiple stages to these events. While you almost made it to that point with new dailies every day, that's not quite what I mean. What did not make sense to me was that the event just....ENDED. Server goes down for maintenance, and bam, the event is over. The players should have gotten new quests on the last day or so to try to cure the plague. It really didn't make sense to me for it to just abruptly end as it did.

I look forward to more surprises in the future along the lines of the magenta crystal, Taunlet, the Orobird eggs, and the Rakghoul event! These are the types of things that will keep me interested in SWTOR as I never know what could be around the corner.

CosmicKat
04.30.2012 , 10:03 AM | #370
I didn't like it because...

1) Look at the fleet on both sides, there was widespread, non-stop afk camping/farming. The majority of the people 'participating' were not actually playing the game, just standing around collecting goodies. The goal of an event should not just be to have players log on, but to encourage them to play.

2) To characters who did not yet have a ship or the money to buy vaccines, the event was either prohibitively expensive or just not possible to participate in.

3) As a roleplayer, the event made no sense and did not fit a "Star Wars world".