Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

Jhayden
04.27.2012 , 01:23 PM | #331
i just wanted to add some things that i thought could have been done better;

1. i feel the event could have had a progressed story line and not just new quests every day... Something that builds up to the end of the contamination. this way it doesn't feel like a every day grind for 5-7 days of the same stuff

2. i feel there should have been an epic ending to the Event, not just having it disappear

What i liked:

1. announcements, news, and introduction on the fleet
2. loved the containment units on the spaceports.
3. loved the infection.
4. loved the fact that you could be spread the plague all over the galaxy

Thundernuts
04.27.2012 , 01:57 PM | #332
I thought the in-game event was awesome. I love how it was unannounced too. I think an event where the hutts or the mandalorians invade a neutral planet could be cool. Or, a conflict erupts between republic and empire on, say, Hoth. Maybe the force ghost of Malek possesses someone and both sides need to destroy him and his followers. Anything is cool honestly, it provides a lot of diversity to the game.
THUNDERNÜTS TITO - Guardian Tank
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Kauhu
04.27.2012 , 02:09 PM | #333
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparxysparx View Post
A short some up:
Since there was no advance notice, some people missed it because of vacation.
The daily chaining (one new daily when you finish the one of the previous day) was kind-of disturbing to people who couldn't play every day.

The plague lasted through death, while the vaccine didn't, which in some points wasn't all that cool, especially with those who did not own a level 50. (High price for vaccine)
My guild is of opinion it could have lasted a bit longer.

Also, especially for those on pvp servers, more than one vendor for the unique currency would've been nice. Vendor camping like hell, I've seen and heard it. Although some interesting wars did develop in the dune sea...

Negative effect on warzones was slightly annoying -- when infected, it'd randomly break your stealth (when you normally would get "stunned", which was disabled in WZs apparantly)

I'd say, keep the events coming! Good work!
This is pretty much what I would've written too. Good post.

2 most important points imho were:

- Daily chaining, it felt kinda dumb
- No epic ending

A forward notice, that would not spoil anything, would indeed be nice. Maybe a blog post, mention in patch notes or news "There will be ingame event starting in two weeks", but nothing more specific.

And yeah, the news reports were awesome.
Utinni!

Callandria
04.27.2012 , 02:43 PM | #334
PLEASE! Either Bring Back the Event Vendor or put the event items for DNA purchase on the menu of one the fleet vendors.

I have seen numerous people, in multiple SWTOR sites, who do not frequent the forums say they did not see any notice of it ending and are now left with earned DNA samples.

Personally my wife and I spent some decent time doing the event dailies each and eavery day and were storing up our Samples as we leveled to 50 to the tune of 250+ and now all that time was wasted.

In the future notices of the end of the event should be put on the Launcher
....If it was there I totally missed it but I do not frequent the forums unless for a fix or issue need.

Just take care of your users and what harm is there to add the items for sale for this event and any future events to a fleet seller.....you've done much the same with the launch event items.

Thanks!

Sapphicmojo
04.27.2012 , 03:15 PM | #335
The event was sort of fun while it lasted, but the lingering after-taste remains. I'm still getting infected by players all over the place, and for most of my characters, the price of the vaccine means I'm basically just forced to find somewhere safe and do nothing for 30 minutes.

What did I like? A break from the same questlines I've seen since Beta. Aside from that, it was a bit of a nuisance, overall. There's no opt-out clause and with the vaccine not surviving death and some PvP matches paying absolutely nothing now (thanks for that, by the way) I couldn't afford to keep buying them, anyway.

Spawn timer on the PvP zone event boss could have been shorter. It took 6 attempts over the course of 4 days to kill the bantha because of competition from the other faction's Ops groups. Fun? YESSS! But with no notice and most people having little time to play, I think this aspect hamstringed a lot of players' shots at Containment Officer.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Rassuro
04.27.2012 , 03:30 PM | #336
First: In my opinion this was the best thing you've done to the game since launch, I loved it! Thanks!

To me the important thing was that there were a lot of people on the same planet, trying to figure stuff out, helping each other. These things gave it a much more "community" feel than all other on-planet activities, which for me a lot of times felt like a single player game.
I don't think there had ever been this much relevant, interesting discussing going on in general chat, not even when when the game first launched.

I liked that you gave me a reason to go back to a planet which I really enjoyed being on during leveling.

I also really liked that we got some cool items, and that we didn't have to grind too much to get them, the amount of grindeage was just right IMO, not too easy but still not too time consuming. However as someone who's main is not using a lightsaber, (operative healer, so I rarely shoot also) I kind of wish that there was something else that we could have chosen as an alternative.

Really looking forward to the next event!
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

NickM
04.27.2012 , 03:47 PM | #337
I loved the surprise drop of the event. I loved new world bosses and the World PVP that ensued from this event.

I wish there was a progressing story for this though, maybe a newscast that said "The Rakghoul plague seems to be coming to an end, cleanup should be completed in X days..." There was a story to the beginning of it, but the end was just flat. Log in and it's gone. (Including the vendor, I assume he had his share of DNA samples?)

I'd love to see live events though, ones that players could participate in. Specifically speaking, I'd love to see fleet invasions, culminating with the fleets getting destroyed (both, of course) so that players have to hang out on the beautiful planets you guys made, and not just the drab, enclosed fleets. Nothing makes me feel more confined in a galaxy than sitting on a space station.

(And yes, I know I'm free to explore. But ask yourself, where do all the players gather? Make social events happen in other parts of the galaxy. Star Wars is not just a space station.)

pooks
04.27.2012 , 04:07 PM | #338
Event is over - I don't want to continually still become infected and have this crap affect seriously my gameplay. Maybe make smugglers not come out of their cloak for one thing or give some punative effect for all players.
End this event already.

Boogety
04.27.2012 , 04:14 PM | #339
I appreciated the event, but felt there was some additional planning that was neglected:

The announcements on fleet were cool, but as previous posters have said - there needed to be some change to the storyline as the event progressed to notify people of possible containment (end of event coming soon). I think part of the reason why people got annoyed with the announcers, is that it was the same thing..over and over and over. With variance, it's not as mind-numbing to listen to. (Perhaps also add a feature to make it chat only versus sound and chat. Otherwise you have players feeling forced to turn their sound off for a week so they can avoid having to hear repetitive announcements.)

The "random" companion customization was a cool IDEA, with exceptionally poor implementation. I would much rather have a random LOOK (between 2-3 customization appearance options) for a particular class than to have a completely random customization amongst all classes of both factions. This is due to the horrendous RNG luck that many people encountered. I personally have six customizations that I can only use one of for a character I don't even have that companion for (yet) on the opposite faction that I normally play as well as FOUR of the same for a class I will *never* play! (Out of six boxes, purchased at varying intervals... I received 4 Malawi and 2 Vector. All are Empire side, and I mainly play Republic. So not only is it not even my class, it's not even my normal faction!) (See URL for an example of a thread in the suggestion forum about the random customization boxes: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=430036 )

Not sure if this event will make a comeback, but some storyline/quests on additional planets would have been cool to make it truly galaxy-wide.
The Gigglebox Legacy - A'nanke Gigglebox - The Fatman
(Sigh. As of 1.2, no more giggles. Devs: Please bring back the giggles!)

CapWinterz
04.27.2012 , 05:48 PM | #340
I loved it and had a blast though a few tips/annoyances.

- Daily's, they are good but making it so you have to do them to unlock more and more, it left no wiggle room for people that missed out on a few days.

- Was no real notice about the event unless you go to the station everyday or on the site.

- I would suggest events go for maybe 2 weeks, 1 week just seems abit short to me.

Overall it was a great first event, keep up the good work.;
Mandatory Referral link aswell as FAQ.