Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

darth_thanatos
04.25.2012 , 02:31 PM | #21
Was pretty entertaining.

It had a Zombie apocalypse type feel, and as an avid zombie fan, I think that's part of what got me interested.

in A star wars sense I guess it was okay. I thought it was just kinda... scanning Jawa's, alright, get some sample... then... Rakhghouls flying outta Dewbacks. Alright. You're the boss.

I did like the World Bosses. Banding with people was entertaining. And I never do that.

ScoutCJustice
04.25.2012 , 02:33 PM | #22
I haven't liked Rakghouls since the original KotOR (no psuedo-zombies in my sci-fi, thanks). But I really enjoyed this event. It really seemed to increase the community involvement. Lots more people in fleet, lots more talking and lots more people out in the world doing stuff as opposed to isolated in FPs or Ops.

As for the future, some straight Republic vs Empire events might be cool. Say, the PvE oriented dailies as small invasions on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. Then some more PvP oriented dailies on a higher-lvl "neutral" world. Voss maybe?
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." -Hoban Washburn

JDBoston
04.25.2012 , 02:34 PM | #23
Honestly I didn't do a single Rhakghoul quest on any character. The rewards just didn't entice me at all and after about 3 days it was quite annoying listening to all the announcements about it on the fleet. Not to mention people thinking it's funny to come to an Ops with the plague and kill everyone mid-fight.

As for future events I played Asherons Call many many years ago and out of all the MMOs I've ever played that game had the best In-Game events. Most of them weren't static events but rather they would have a developer control a major villain of the game and wreck havoc on a portion of the world for awhile, all the while you had tons of people trying to kill him/it.

I understand that you may not have the technology built into the game yet to do something like this but it would be awesome to see it done in some fashion.

Filip_Zahariev
04.25.2012 , 02:36 PM | #24
I understood about it the very last day, bought 23 DNA samples, was about to start doing dailies and then...my Internet disconnects. Makes me want to blow my head away... Other than that, I reallly did like the idea, and I wanted ze prizes. Eh...next time, hopefully. And please, give atleast a day or two notice.

Ragdon
04.25.2012 , 02:40 PM | #25
I found the spontaneous nature of the event great and overall it was well done. I would have changed the stacking daily unlocks though, friends not having all the quests while I did kinda sucked. The worst part by far was the companion box randomness, I just wanted zombie Mako and after opening 20ish boxes and still not getting it I gave up. Random rewards does not make for fun.

Lavath
04.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #26
Thanks for adding stuff like this. Overall, I really enjoyed the event. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts of the event (though I'm sure I'm missing something)...

Things I liked:
  • I especially liked how there was suddenly an alert announcement, and various "news" terminals around to talk more about the event's happenings.
  • Dailies didn't take too much effort to get through. Sometimes dailies can end up getting to the point that they are a second job, and quickly become time consuming and no longer enjoyable. The event's dailies, while were not done in five minutes, didn't really take too much effort to complete. This meant I would still have time to go back to PvP, or other aspects of the game that I enjoy.
  • Immersion into the environment. I liked how the plague was able to be spread from player to player, just like an actual outbreak. I know that the community has mixed feelings on this, but I personally thought it was a nice touch. I like events that tie everything together and affect the world(s) around the players a lot.
  • I liked the addition of world boss kills into the event. A lot of times, world bosses only get attention from "higher end" or "motivated" guilds and the causal player has a harder time taking part in world boss kills. With events like this, even casual people are more likely to be welcomed to take part in such things.
  • The rewards were pretty good. I won't say dazzling, but I think they were worth taking part in the event for.

Things I did not like:
  • I think that there could have been a little bit more direction into where to go to start the dailies for the event. Sure there is a blanket statement of "Don't go to Tatooine" but that place is kinda big. For the duration of the event, general chat would almost always have someone asking where to go to start the dailies. While I don't think we need an X,Y exact location, I think that it might have been helpful to give out a little bit more information. Example, In addition to the Fleet warning messages, when people actually get to Tatooine, have a message that warns people to stay away from the Northern Dune Sea as containment officers are currently trying to control the situation." That small addition would have helped a lot of people out.
  • While I was not directly affected, I know others were not happy about the daily unlock of quests that would offer the orange gear as rewards, particularly those who didn't start the event until the weekend. The idea that they were unlocked from the day you started a particular part came a couple days too late for a few people. This didn't really bother me, as I personally wasn't interested in the social gear, but had this been items that I was interested in, I would have been upset.
  • The companion customization reward really needed to be based on the faction of the person making the purchase. I seriously don't know what I'm going to do with a Kira customization when I am Sith and have no plans to make a Jedi anytime soon. I somewhat understand the random part, but I think it should have been random for your faction, at the least. Random based on current character (or characters that you have in your legacy) would have been much better.

Overall, I really enjoyed the event. I hope to see more stuff like this in the future! /Salute
Darth Lavath
<Syk>
Mind Trick

Teralin
04.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Gameception View Post
I loved it but I forgot there was a way to give in your DNA to get stuff. So i would love for there to be a vendor on the fleets or somewhere who can take the leftovers for the items. Please!!!
I collected a LOT of DNA samples (mostly from being infected by Imperials and then dying over and over...), but there was no way I was going to hop all the way to the vendor, then back to turn in dailies or whatever else, then realize I had even more samples and go back out....

I ended up just giving all of mine away because I didn't want to have to go through so many loading screens while queuing up for WZs.

Other than that, I really really enjoyed it. I actually liked the surprise of it when I logged in and was happily minding my own business when someone ran up to me and exploded. Then it just spiraled out of control from there...
(███████████████████◫◫◫‖‖◫◫◫███████████████████)

Friggia
04.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #28
I loved the event and I think the best part was the no notice. It made it feel like an actual emergency.
I do like scheduled "holiday" type world events as well.

cabowse
04.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #29
I thought the Rakghoul plague was pretty cool, I was nice to be able to get those black-green crystals, however it did feel quite easy in the end, and it seemed like people were cheating the system with the explode and get 5 DNA samples part.

It would have probably made more sense that you gave the DNA samples to a droid as apposed to a jawa, seeing as jawas deal more with spare parts and junk than science stuff.

I would love to see more stuff like this in the future however, having a crystal as a reward is cool, it would be cool to have some mounts maybe as rewards.

As for Events in the future here are some ideas

-special batch of droids has gone rouge, lead by an AI

-Something to do with the revanites maybe

-A mysterious organisation in hutt space causing trouble

just some ideas, would be really cool to see some new light saber colours, but its nice when they are harder to get, makes them more rewarding

or even better, rewarded with better schematics for things, lvl 24 things, feel like crafting gets a bit pointless after you get to 50, unless you are making stuff for your alts

EvilHamhawk
04.25.2012 , 02:41 PM | #30
I didn't get a chance to appreciate it. I was in the final stretch getting to level 50 when the event was released and was concentrating on that, especially with a tangible reward of 30 days free gameplay for hitting 50 before the 22nd. That and that I got attacked by vicious players spreading the plague every time I hit the fleet made the event both unenjoyable and poorly timed. I would love the chance to partake in events but this event just didn't work well at all.