Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

Zilkin
04.26.2012 , 08:53 AM | #201
Pros:

1. The event made the game feel more than it has felt probably since launch.

2. I liked the mystery and discovery involved. It was good that there eg. wasn't a NPC in the fleet who would give you a quest to go to the crash site.

3. It encouraged player interaction in the form of world PvP. I hope the couple whine threads I have seen here dont discourage you from doing this in the future, if there are any PvE server specific issues fix those seperately.

4. The plague itself was a cool thing since it a dynamic element that players could use to make their own gameplay with.

5. Well obviously I liked the unique items and codex entries.

6. I liked that the event had a personal progression for you though I think all the dailies should have had codex entry associated with them to explain things bit better like the earlier ones.

Cons:

1. I think the event might have been a tad bit too short. I would probably preferred if it had been about week longer. On the other hand at least this way it stayed rather fresh.

2. This game has made a big deal about voice acting and cutscenes and in that regard this event was pretty basebones.

3. I REALLY didn't like how the companion customi appearances where behind RNG, when you had very limited time to collect DNA samples and you couldn't trade them with other players. On the positive side at least they were legacy bound.

4. As casual player I didn't have lvl 50, and I'm not in a guild so finding raids for the world bosses felt too time consuming for me and I had to unfortunately skip that part of the event.

5. Would be nice if you could code the social items so that they were either light, medium or heavy as according to your class.

I have about same number of pros and cons, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the event, one the whole it was a great experience and I hope you continue with these kinds of things in the future!

Snakeyees
04.26.2012 , 09:02 AM | #202
I loved it I look forward to more if these kinda of events.
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

TheLastWolfman
04.26.2012 , 09:31 AM | #203
My feedback from another thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...83#post4088483

Regards
Wolf

Mythicrose
04.26.2012 , 09:34 AM | #204
I still have an infected character that I primarily just use to run slicing missions. As such, he will remain infected until the disease is removed by Bioware. I could potentially (and amusingly) start the chain reaction to reinfect my entire server down the road if the disease isn't removed without doing it myself.

I though the event was fun for the most part. Unlocking addional quests on a daily business was alright, but it would've been nice to know before hand and the exact duration of the event. Several people in my guild didn't didn't do the dailies ritually and were some-what bummed when they realized they wouldn't have enough time to acquire the contaiment officer garb.

I'd also suggest putting the Jawa vendor (or any future even vendor) in each faction's fleet or planetary hub zone. The jawa did promote open world pvp on Davik's Estate, but it negatively impacted those that just wanted to get to the Jawa in safety to spend thier DNA samples. I also some-what pitied the lower leveled players that attempted some of the quests and have to compete with (and agaisnt) level 50s.
Sniper, Renegade Soldiers [Davik's Estate]
5/5 Nightmare EV
5/5 Nightmare Karagga's Palace
4/4 Hard Mode Explosive Conflict

LizardSF
04.26.2012 , 09:41 AM | #205
To me, the most fun thing about the Rakghoul plague was that it WAS a surprise. It wasn't hyped, discussed, dissected, and mapped for two months before appearing. While every event can't be done like that, the more events are *events*.

I also like that it was short. This means, due to work and other life pressures, I didn't complete every daily or get every reward/piece of armor/whatever, but I could get the things I wanted most -- the Rakghoul pets -- by choosing how to spend my limited play time. I hope Bioware doesn't give in to the whiners who think that if anyone, anywhere, managed to get something they didn't, they're somehow being cheated/robbed/ripped off. Keeping events short keeps them from being tedious, and it also makes what you do manage to get, even if it's not "Everything", more special. As the game ages, year after year, it's a good thing if there's items, emotes, pets, whatever, that were only in the game briefly... if you happen to get them, cool, if you don't happen to get them, it's still cool when you see something new or different, something you haven't seen before because it was only part of the game for a week or two.

For future events, I'd like to see more integration with story -- more voice-overs, and possibly class quests for each class. Quest rewards should be things which are visually unique, but not mechanically superior to other items at their level -- no one should ever feel they "have" to be part of an event to "keep up".

There's a lot of people whining they want to be able to totally ignore events, to not have to deal with virus explosions or the like. Ignore them. The consequences for gameplay for those who didn't want to do event quests were trivial and easily mediated. No one was locked out of quests, prevented from travel, etc. Some events should be totally localized -- maybe a habitable comet (hey, SW plays loose with science) is passing through the Alderaan system, and the event consists of quests on its surface, while it's there. Others should impact the galaxy and be noticed by all players.
MrLizard.com: All-new material for tabletop RPGs (mostly D&D 4e), occasional rants, and original science fiction and fantasy.
Why the developers haven't fixed that bug yet!
Don't be a looser -- read Grammar For Gamers

falconschild
04.26.2012 , 09:43 AM | #206
Having seen how a "plague" event could be a total fiasco in another game that shall not be named, I'll have to say that with the rakghoul plague, BW, you did just about everything right. With one or two exceptions, of course. I didn't like the fact that a flagged infected person of the opposite faction could "force-flag" an unflagged player by exploding on them, regardless of their desire desire to be flagged or not be flagged. Especially on a PvE or RP-PvE type server, that kind of thing is just not cool. I have a feeling a decent amount of world PvP would have gone on without this particular little "feature," that in most cases presented to the unwilling flagees as a nuisance and a detraction from their enjoyment of the event, especially if the victim was below 50, and got jumped, force-flagged, then ganked by a group of flagged opposition players.

Second...a speeder point out near the crash site or Jawa vendor would have been nice. It would have cut down a little bit of the travel time to get from the outskirts of civilization to the crash site, and from the crash site to each faction's research center. I know for a mere week-long event, this kind of thing likely isn't terribly doable, but for an event any longer in duration, I'd hope you might consider this.

On the whole, well done!

Hurgis
04.26.2012 , 09:48 AM | #207
Personally I really liked that it wasn't announced.
People slowly coming on, either to fleet or Tatooine and seeing/hearing the reports.

Bad for people who don't play as much, or follow the forums though. But I liked it.
Also the whole death by explosion was rather fun.

I would have much rather preferred that the armor parts were bind to legacy though.
I only have so much available time to play and grinding daily quests every day for a new piece is not something I can do, so I ended up with a light armor suit for my trooper...

Screaming_Ziva
04.26.2012 , 09:48 AM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
What I didn't like about the event:

1) It boiled down to just another quest chain.

After the initial run through and excitement, the event was basically just another quest chain to grind. Apart from the crimson rakghoul quest, they were all very standard, nothing particularly interesting or fun. No group content or anything. This is the main reason I hardly did anything: it was boring after the first day!
I really never understand posts like this. What exactly were you looking for? 99.9% of content in MMOs is "just another quest chain."

Persephonee
04.26.2012 , 09:56 AM | #209
I completely loved logging on and hearing an unexpected news bulletin and finding myself in the middle of an epidemic. It made the world feel more real. The fact that it wasn't announced ahead of time and I didn't know when it would end, was a plus for me.

I would love to see some type of war break out where we can go to a planet we normally don't go to for our faction... I guess maybe a phased area that the other faction can choose to go to so it doesn't interfere with their leveling but definitely something that allows us to get immersed in a war scenario. A plus would be if our actions had a role in when the war ended and/or the outcome of it so that each server could actually have a different variation of the war.
SithPanda

MrGrizzly
04.26.2012 , 09:56 AM | #210
Loads of fun! Loved that it wasn't announced, that it just happened. I didn't manage to score all the armor but I came to the party a day late.

I think it would have been great to have the addition of the news announcer on the fleet saying that the plague had been contained on the couple of days after the event, just to give it a nice wrap up.

Also I would suggest maybe this was a great opportunity to make the armor a bind to legacy to showcase the option.

Despite the two suggestions above; my son and I loved the event and add our thanks to this thread!
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast