Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

Havokk
04.25.2012 , 08:40 PM | #121
Short version: Shedloads of fun.

Things I liked
The interesting nature. I haven't encountered a plague in any MMOG I've played.

The short life of it. I found it exciting to hurry and do stuff knowing that there was a timer. Few things in MMOGs have timers.

While I appreciate that the crowding was a bit forced it was still lots of fun to be doing stuff with lots and lots of other characters in the same area doing the same things. TOR sometimes feels like a single-player game (which is good, its the main reason I am playing) but a reminder that it is multiplayer is always good.

The Crimson Rakling.

I hope
That the Rakghoul Plague never gets repeated. I want to summon the Crimson Rakling in years to come and have people ask "where did you get that" so I can give them the "many moons ago there was this plague on Tatooine" story. Don't get me wrong - I want other events but I want all the events to be different.

Suggestions
That crashed ship should have had a Weyland-Yutani logo on it. Or maybe a Cerberus logo? More seriously, it would have been good for the quests to investigate who was shipping Rakghouls and why.

Thanks.
▂▇≡≡≡≡≡≡≡()▇(₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦₦

dmtvaroha
04.25.2012 , 08:43 PM | #122
I happened to be on the Fleet when I heard the "newscast" of the plague. That was my first indication that something was happening, and I thought that was cool. It felt like I was actually discovering something, akin to seeing something happening live on CNN or something. I do wish that the focus had been more direct: I took the broadcast at its face value to avoid Tatooine (I'm not the only one who thought this way) rather than the appropriate first thought to charge the planet. Since the Fleet is populated with countless heroes, one would assume that the announcement would ask for help rather than warn us away.

I'm glad it only lasted a week. It was becoming tiresome by day 5. I think the ideal event would be to enter an instance of some sort, perform some tasks & get your rewards in a day or two. I came upon a quest that was impacted by the event (timing worked out perfectly for me, as I was questing on Tatooine anyway) in that the normal quest mobs were overtaken by event mobs. I still managed it, but it got tiresome camping the handful of mobs I needed.

I like the [area] quests. Some bigger bosses that can be attacked by everyone for credit (a ratio of contribution) would be cool, similar to what Warhammer Online did: a small area to kill multiple mobs and stronger bosses. Seems like the event world bosses required a bit of coordination to achieve, and LFG is already a problem.

I would have liked to have seen an event wrap-up broadcast. As it is, the event ended and everything seems to have simply disappeared. Maybe there was some storyline somewhere that I missed. Fleet would be an ideal place for the newscasts to wrap things up.

Lastly, I noticed a performance hit on Fleet during the event. I understand that in order to keep the event a surprise it couldn't be tested on PTS, and I don't know what could be done to prevent adverse effects in future events without PTS testing. Hopefully you are aware of what may have caused the problem. I'm glad it happened, and look forward to future events.
The Davny Legacy:
Devaultian Flick Datum

The Shadowlands Vinticuffs

PanzerKraken
04.25.2012 , 08:43 PM | #123
The event was great... my only feedback is...

Don't take forever between them! It is really sad that it took four months for this game to have it's first event. Many of us have been playing MMO's for a long time now and doing live events like this is nothing new, and most games nowadays do them on a very regular basis. A four month gap with not a single event in game was really weak. Now the event itself was fantastic, and I do hope we see more in the near future, and not make this some rare occurrence that only happens every few months.

Khellus
04.25.2012 , 08:45 PM | #124
i liked the limited time items amd unique companion customizations. the story was ok.
i like that your doing them.
i didn't like that the rhakghoul serum was not persistant after death as a pvp'r..
I didn't like that the Armor reward was light armor only. So after the first two pieces i didnt bother going back.
Republic's Elite - Mandalor the Indomitable - Van'dal Van'illa

Raekor
04.25.2012 , 08:50 PM | #125
I like the concept of the random events (although I didn't participate in this one), but I think it needs to be kept off the fleet. I have a good computer, but it was slowing down horribly with 100+ people all standing on the fleet pass spawn point spamming their AOE. My friend couldn't go to the fleet as it would cause his game to crash or drop his connection. So maybe if another infection is done have the containment NPC's on the fleet be champions similar to the robots in Kaon that kill people who come on board with it. Would make sense to keep the central hub disease free.

Another downside was it negatively effected people who didn't want to participate. Keep spending money on vaccines (not a problem at high levels, but it is for low levels) or have random times when you are knocked off your speeder, unable to do anything whilst fighting, or die. Maybe a few of the medbots should have given free injections of the vaccine. They would need to be clearly marked though so people who want the plague don't go to them. This of course wouldn't be as big an issue if the fleet was a clean zone.

I do look forward to seeing what the next one is going to be.

Fozziwig
04.25.2012 , 08:54 PM | #126
I absolutley LOVE it because it was:
-unannounced
-new content we had to figure out
-social
-a good story
-had good rewards.

Vilefaith
04.25.2012 , 09:12 PM | #127
Was fun over all, I liked that there were several different ways to farm the event currency. However the repeats on the companion customization really pissed me off. 10 tries, 8 kiras. I dont have a Jedi Knight.

I would love to see more events.

EJedi
04.25.2012 , 10:01 PM | #128
I loved it, though there are some things I would change:

1) Nothing should be Bind on Pickup. Anything that isn't Bind on Equip should be Binds to Legacy, due to the limited duration of these events.
2) Fix the PvP flagging bugs. There should be NOTHING in the game that will PvP flag a player on a PvE server unless he/she directly targets and attacks a flagged player, directly targets and buffs/heals a flagged player, or enters an area that is designed to flag the player. (Additionally, taking a taxi should immediately clear PvP flag just like in WoW)
3) Fix the progression style quests. Don't lock them down by player. Lock them down by day if you like, but don't limit players who start the event late. Let any player progress through the entire unlocked series (for that day) even if it is the first day they logged on during the event.
4) Avoid putting event content in PvP areas on PvE servers. Making players feel compelled to engage in PvP on PvE servers is bad form.
5) Less randomization on the companion boxes. Make the boxes legacy-bound, and have them give the appropriate companion item for the current character and/or the currently summoned companion at the time it is clicked.
If you pick up a novel, and see pages 2-899 only as obstacles between pages 1 and 900, then it may just be that you don't like reading.

KiraraKat
04.25.2012 , 10:02 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by PanzerKraken View Post
The event was great... my only feedback is...

Don't take forever between them! It is really sad that it took four months for this game to have it's first event. Many of us have been playing MMO's for a long time now and doing live events like this is nothing new, and most games nowadays do them on a very regular basis. A four month gap with not a single event in game was really weak. Now the event itself was fantastic, and I do hope we see more in the near future, and not make this some rare occurrence that only happens every few months.
Give them some credit for making an event. The game is pretty new and they had their hands tie to fix a lot of bugs in the game. I doubt any company can be compared to what Bioware have done on trying to fix as many bugs as possible I don't think an event would sit well if the foundation of the game is buggy and close to non-functioning.

On the other note, the event was really nice. Everyone I spoke to loved it. It was funny sitting on the fleet when the first announcement went off and people were so clueless! It was a priceless moment and I wish I had recorded the chat of people panicking or curious as to what's going on.
ị█ị█████ị≡ị█Eternity▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Lord_Franklin
04.25.2012 , 10:10 PM | #130
I really enjoyed it as a whole, as I don't do much with my level 50 character, and it gave me something to do

I liked the idea of using the DNA to buy the extra items, as it stimulated the economy briefly, with people farming it to sell on. Perhaps others found this annoying, but I liked the idea of it having an impact more far-reaching than just Tatooine basically.

I did find it very disappointing that people playing catch-up with the quests could only unlock one daily per day. I only had enough time to do 4 of the dailies, and was devastated that I missed the chest-piece, only because I couldn't start until the weekend. I understand completely why you staggered them, to inventiveness people to come online for more days, but I feel when you are catching up, one per day feels slow and frustrating. I think maybe having 2-3 dailies unlock if available would be far better for everyone, but then some more clarity on the matter from the start would be very useful whether or not this happens.

Overall, it was really interesting, and I look forward to seeing more similar events