Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse engineering - Artifce Adv Might Hilt 22

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse engineering - Artifce Adv Might Hilt 22

Shaynae
04.24.2012 , 11:32 PM | #1
Before anyone says anything, I understand completely how statistics work. I understand that a 20% chance does not mean I do something 5 times for a guarantee. I understand completely that it means each time is 20% and sometimes that means a bad streak.

Okay, that said... how do I get someone to check if my character is bugged? I've blown 20 of these hilts since I started counting and probably another 20 before then trying to go from the blue Might Hilt 22 to the purple Advanced Might Hilt 22.

Even for a bad streak that seems excessive. I've had good success with many others, but this one seems to be unreachable....

rjkishida
04.25.2012 , 01:09 AM | #2
Tons of threads on this. RE is still broken. some report as many as 30 tries before getting a single blue (prototype) schematic. Failware lied. RE was not fixed.

Astansus
04.25.2012 , 01:39 AM | #3
It could be broken but in a large enough sample this will happen to some.

The chance of this happening is 0.8^30 = 0.12%, in other words 1in 1200

Take a sample of only 100000 people crafting and attempting to Re: something.

124 people would experience what you just did (100000 x 0.12)

The odds are low but there are many people using crew skills so it's bound to happen to some. Does that make it ok? I don't know. If they wanted to avoid this they could simply add that with each failed Re: chance of success would increase. You could still have massive amounts of bad luck but the odds of that happening would be lower.

Rhaphael
04.25.2012 , 01:57 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by rjkishida View Post
Tons of threads on this. RE is still broken. some report as many as 30 tries before getting a single blue (prototype) schematic. Failware lied. RE was not fixed.
Before 1.2 you could go 100 RE's before you got one (chance was 4% back then, now it is 20% or 10%), and then it might even be one you already had! So even while it's not fixed, it is definitely improved a lot.

Icid
04.25.2012 , 02:26 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Astansus View Post
It could be broken but in a large enough sample this will happen to some.

The chance of this happening is 0.8^30 = 0.12%, in other words 1in 1200

Take a sample of only 100000 people crafting and attempting to Re: something.

124 people would experience what you just did (100000 x 0.12)

The odds are low but there are many people using crew skills so it's bound to happen to some. Does that make it ok? I don't know. If they wanted to avoid this they could simply add that with each failed Re: chance of success would increase. You could still have massive amounts of bad luck but the odds of that happening would be lower.
Just because I'm a math nerd, but your math is off. It is not 1 in 1200, it is actually 1 in 800. To determine "1 in X" you have to take the inverse (1/x) of the odds. And if you think about it some more 12.5% = 1 in 8, 1.25% = 1 in 80 so 0.125% would be 1 in 800. In the whole grand scheme of things, 1 in 800 is fairly common place. Especially when you consider how many people play the game.

Your math about it happening to 124 people out of 100,000 is correct, and is 1 in 800, not 1 in 1200.
100,000 / 800 = 125
100,000 / 1200 = 83.3

Anyways, back on topic. The change from 4% to 20% deffinatly does reduce the odds of getting massive strings of failures, but it doesn't completely remove them. At 4% the odds were as bad as a 30% chance to take 30 attempts to successfully RE something.

RichyYoung
04.25.2012 , 04:22 AM | #6
Yeah RE is loads better but not fixed its got this annoying thing where you will get 20 fails until you relog then it goes back to normal, i think RE is better but there just seems to be LOTs of annoying bugs, which are so intermitant that some people genuinly just turn around who dont RE alot and think thats how it should be after all its random chance.

But ive just done too much RE and i see regular normal RE and then this weird bug till i relog.

Cleet_Xia
04.25.2012 , 06:17 AM | #7
I've experienced the same bug with RE not working until I've relogged. It seems to be caused by the speeders for me.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Shaynae
04.25.2012 , 07:01 AM | #8
At least in my case it isn't a relogging issue because I haven't done all these in one sitting. It takes quite a bit of time, even with max affection to make these., so I send my crew out for a few, log and come back later to RE them. I used to be superstitious about the first item I RE'd that I'd never get a schematic, but that's been shown to be wrong a couple of times now. And I always knew it was just a superstition.

I've seen the purple for sale on the GTN so I know someone can make them....

Natarii
04.25.2012 , 08:10 AM | #9
Functionality of reverse engineering aside, there's actually NO reason to reverse engineer a rank 22 hilt up to artifact for the simple fact that 8 daily commendations gets you a rank 23 artifact hilt. Save your time, money, and sanity and do 6 daily quests (*maybe* 1 hour's work) and buy one better than you'd ever be able to make.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Skolops
04.25.2012 , 08:26 AM | #10
I'm power leveling a synthweaver right now. Yesterday, I ran missions to get archaeology up to 400, Today, I am crafting and leveling synthweaving up as far as I can get with the time I have, so I am doing a lot of reverse engineering.

So far, I have gotten a schematic on 6 out of 27 reverse engineers, or 22%, which is right on the money. Now as you said, a 20% chance doesn't mean it should give you a precise 1 out of every 5, or that there should be no bad streaks. Over a large sample, however, it should probably balance out to about 20%

For me, its there right now. Might change over time for the better or worse, but it should eventually come back down to about this level. I think its certainly providing the increased chance they said it would. Sorry for your bad streak.