Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The point of Inheritance/Birthright Legacy Gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The point of Inheritance/Birthright Legacy Gear?

Xrande
04.24.2012 , 10:29 PM | #1
Someone explain to me the point of Inheritance/Birthright gear that is bound to legacy?

What is the difference of sending a blue item to your alt? The legacy gear have level requirements. Inheritance around 14 and Birthright around 30. You buy for class-specific item. 1x use when outlevel, and done. You cannot give a BH Inheritance to IA, Warrior or Inquisitor. Also if these legacy gear are actually easy to obtain it is a different story. These legacy gear are pretty rare. Birthright gears cost 200-250 daily comms?! As much or more than best end game Campaign relics?

Why such a poor design of legacy item? I rather the devs not waste time and resources for something that would be thrown away after hours (L14 gears) or days (L30 gear).

The idea of legacy gear is to promote levelling of alts. There are already zone commendations. There are crafting. Legacy Gear is not useful at its current state.

Current Legacy Gear System
  1. Bound to level
  2. Stats bound to specific class
  3. Outlevelled very quickly
  4. Big level gaps missing for gear. L15-30? L40-50?
  5. Not overly easy to obtain for the minimum usefulness it provides

Suggestions to Change Legacy Gear. No point having a useless 1.2 items update.
  1. Make Legacy gear not stats bound to specific class
  2. If stats bound to class, have the gear scale with level
  3. If no full scaling is allowed, have it 15-30, 35-50. So you have to find diff sets of legacy gear
  4. Remove level requirements or make legacy gear easier to obtain or Make gear not class-stats bound
Beta 2011 Tester For the Sith Empire!
Circle of Kakis - A GMT +8 Timezone Guild

Zzxe
04.24.2012 , 10:31 PM | #2
While the idea of having gear for legacy was good, the implementation was terrible. Both open world PVP systems are also examples of good ideas but horrible implementation.

The legacy gear makes NO sense at all to me.

Ronamo
04.24.2012 , 10:50 PM | #3
I was under the impression that legacy gear gained stats as the character using it gained levels, so that it was always roughly equal to blue quality gear of that level.

I am now disappointed.
The Duluoz Legacy || Krayt Dragon
Benway | Cassidy Seward | Bul'lee Lebris Ti'Jean

Lokai
04.24.2012 , 10:53 PM | #4
a ton of issues with legacy gear atm...

1: gear has a set level, and it doesn't scale...this basically makes it less useful since you'll quickly out level the usefulness of it FURTHER its not modable... and we cant change the crystal color which as a jedi/sith is a fairly big deal to some of us.

2: almost all the classes have stat specific weapons and weapon types...for example, an assassin uses a saber staff.. 9/10 people are NOT going to roll 2 assassins... while say a SW sword might be used for a mara...and same for a BH MOST classes have failrly unique weapons making giving them to alts an even bigger problem.

Basically boils down to the above issues... the idea is fine but way it was implemeneted is bad... they need to take a hint from WoW and take it a step further. Make gear modable, then add LEGACY mods that scale as you level so you can have a nice look while you level up,

Right now its barely worth even looking at the vender.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ronamo View Post
I was under the impression that legacy gear gained stats as the character using it gained levels, so that it was always roughly equal to blue quality gear of that level.

I am now disappointed.
you were reading WoW patch notes from Wotlk >> cause thats not how legacy gear works.
" Destiny is like a river...washes us along its ever winding path, the jedi follow its path drawn along it like lambs to the slaughter... but We Sith fight the flow of destiny, turn its course to our whim! Through this will we be the true victors of this war!" -Lokai-

Ronamo
04.24.2012 , 11:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Lokai View Post
you were reading WoW patch notes from Wotlk >> cause thats not how legacy gear works.
No, but that's how it was expected to work, and how people quite obviously want it to work.
The Duluoz Legacy || Krayt Dragon
Benway | Cassidy Seward | Bul'lee Lebris Ti'Jean

Xrande
04.24.2012 , 11:08 PM | #6
The point of having legacy and alts is for Bioware to extend subscription. People bored, play alts for story. But poor implementation of such legacy gear and alt levelling is not helping them. For the future of SWTOR, please get feedback and test the the idea/design before releasing it for live.
Beta 2011 Tester For the Sith Empire!
Circle of Kakis - A GMT +8 Timezone Guild

Mezla
04.24.2012 , 11:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lokai View Post

Well, that's the problem isn't it? It doesn't work. There was no point introducing it in its current state.

ConradLionhart
04.24.2012 , 11:22 PM | #8
Legacy gear should level with the character up to 50, and then you balance it to ensure it is not too powerful.

Right now these level ranges are not intuitive.

Kadin
04.24.2012 , 11:49 PM | #9
If you guys want these Legacy Gear pieces to act like Heirloom pieces in WoW, don't expect them to just be given out. You all remember the amount of time it took to get each piece in WoW right? They weren't simply handed out like these are... you had to put in some decent time to grind for them.

With that said, I didn't even bother sending the item to a lower level because as already stated, what's the point? It will simply be left behind too fast to worry about.

Spankyjnco
04.24.2012 , 11:57 PM | #10
I agree, it's quite stupid. I think if you DO get the item like.. birthright pants for example, it should just be that.. a tradeable item that you can use for say.. my Agent, then when Out-leveled, I can send it to my Mercenary and he can get pants now... but nope that's not it.

It's not like the armor is THAT good anyways, it's like a purple, maybe slightly better. For the cost/difficulty to get it, that's a joke.