Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rakghoul Plague Outbreak World Event: Thank You

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Rakghoul Plague Outbreak World Event: Thank You
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Moondragon
04.24.2012 , 04:26 PM | #1
Hey Bw,

Thanks for the first world event. Good stuff. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, even when being on a PvP server. While I'm not a big fan of "mutation plague" scenario, which is what just about every modern zombie tale is based on, it was still enjoyable.

What I was expecting after discovery:
A fun event that would have some cool little prizes that I had to work for to achieve. Delivered. I wasn't expecting anything grandiose or "epic". Just good times and good fun. For me, it was delivered.

What I did like:
  • Codex entries (yes...read them all) for the event.
  • Event actually brought people together. Even had Imps and Pubs working together for a common goal from time to time. The joining of forces to fight a common greater threat can be seen everywhere and it came together here. Was kinda cool.
  • The little prizes. Didn't manage to get all of the social armor on one of my characters because I started it late with them, but I still walked away with a crystal, a title and a red rakghoul without paying for any DNA samples.
  • You actually had to figure things out...even if it was only for the first day or two before it blew up on a bunch of sites. It's not as if it was a hard puzzle to figure out, but it wasn't spelled out for you what you had to do. Keep doing this. Too much of this game is on "easy mode". I get it...to a point.
  • Enjoyed the fact that there was no announcement for it. It just hit us. "Hey...what the hell is that announcer talking about? What's this holovid about? What's going ON?!!?" Dun Dun DUUUUUUUUUN!!! I would imagine quite a few people were pissed about this though. Eh. Each their own. I loved it.

What I didn't like:
  • Fleet Station crowding - The intention, it seems, was for the plague to spread. Cool. Understandable. However, I could have lived without the droves of people sitting on fleet with the plague. But then again, I've never liked the idea of the "Fleet" points anyway. I could go into story elements that would've worked and all that business, but needless to say...I understand why it was allowed. Fanboys might say, "Blame the community, not BW for that one." There's legitimate arguments on both sides, so I'll just let it be. I personally didn't care for it and there were ways around it.
  • Social Armor "lockdown" - Was a bit bummed by this one. It is nice to tie in a daily system to unlocking each piece of armor, and you did allow for quite a bit of time, however...this is where the "casual gamer" side of me was a bit bummed. I only did the event with two characters. Missed the belt on both and chest armor on the other because I missed a daily on one and didn't start in time with the other. Quite a few casual players missed out on a neat little armor set because of the unlocking system. I'm sure there's ways around this that appeal to both the power gamer and casual gamer, but for me this is something to consider in the future for sure.

So yeah. Thank you. Good stuff. Look forward to future world events...just...no zombies please.

On another note, I'd be interested to see what it is that other people did enjoy about it. There's already quite a few on what people didn't like about it.
Dai'alastar Moondragon .
Jedi Guardian
Jung Ma Looking for Guild

Leggomy
04.24.2012 , 04:29 PM | #2
I really liked the event. I wonder if maybe it would have been better to offer the armor on the jawa. That way noone gets left out if they came across the event late.

Dyslexicon
04.24.2012 , 04:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Leggomy View Post
I really liked the event. I wonder if maybe it would have been better to offer the armor on the jawa. That way noone gets left out if they came across the event late.
Yeah, they would have been a positive for the future - I missed two days but still manged to get the whole set, darn real life interruptions

Loved the event BW, keep them coming as they keep the community involved and growing

Leggomy
04.24.2012 , 04:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dyslexicon View Post
Yeah, they would have been a positive for the future - I missed two days but still manged to get the whole set, darn real life interruptions

Loved the event BW, keep them coming as they keep the community involved and growing
I missed the first day being hard headed trying to find everything myself. The second day I asked and found out about the outbreak area heh.

Endriss
04.24.2012 , 04:59 PM | #5
I think the plague itself is a very interesting mechanic and should be expanded upon. I am interested in seeing just how long players can keep the plague alive now that the event has ended.

HalcyonicPlague
04.24.2012 , 05:56 PM | #6
Loved it. Fantastic community event. The working together that I saw on both sides was really great.

Partyrockk
04.24.2012 , 05:59 PM | #7
The plague will never go away unless it's patched. People can just make an alt, get the plague and then log it off until they can't find anyone to blow up on them.

Cleet_Xia
04.24.2012 , 06:02 PM | #8
This was an awesome event ! I look forward to seeing what they do in the future !
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Stugotz
04.24.2012 , 06:02 PM | #9
The best part of the event is that its over!

"Let me guess Ethics violation?
Bad people doing bad things and it made you sad?
Every day the same skrag, day in day out.. why me?"

Barrgil
04.24.2012 , 06:20 PM | #10
It was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it and a LOT of people on my server came back for this. I usually don't see more than 50 Republic players online on my server at any given time but this event brought 90+ players to the fleet at any time it was on.

I loved it! Though I can't say the same for those who missed the item sets
Kra - Deception Assassin
Bargil - Hybrid Sorcerer
DARKHOUND - Hyperspace Cannon | Dara Mactire - The Crucible Pits