Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the lack of lowbie items on the GTN?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why the lack of lowbie items on the GTN?

Dabrixmgp
04.24.2012 , 10:18 AM | #1
Whenever I try to level a new alt I always hit the GTN for any gear I might not have upgraded in a few levels for me and my companions. But theres nothing there. If there is something there its 10 levels under my level so useless or its for the wrong class. Tried looking for Mods for my orange gear and again nothing for sale on the GTN except high level stuff. Also there is the fact that there are hardly any grade 1-3 mats on the GTN of any kind so what are these people using the mats for if not for making armor or weapons?

I tried getting armormech or synthweaving to make my own gear but cant find the mats and it take forever running missions to get blue/purple metals/cloth needed to make decent pieces along with the RNG factor with RE. Also tried cybertech figured Id just get an orange suit and keep it modded out. Again wasnt worth the hours and hours of running UWT missions, hoping for crits so I got purple metals because again nothing for sale on GTN.

parmie
04.24.2012 , 10:45 AM | #2
The reasons are:

For people who have reached high level, there is little profit to be made from crafting for low levels, your companions are your workforce, you want them generating as much profit as possible.

The rates of return for purple mats and RE are still too low to make it easy to craft for low levels. This applies to any level crafters. It's impossible to keep yourself geared up solely from crafting while levelling so theres certainly not much opportunity to do it for others.

So, any crafter putting lower level crafted items up for sale is probably doing it for the enjoyment of crafting, there are not many around who do that.

If you've got , multiple characters I'd suggest joining a guild, they may have put some low level items in their bank and you can ask them to craft for you, and most will have someone willing to help out - be prepared to do the same for others in the guild.

XElementalX
04.24.2012 , 11:00 AM | #3
You can´t earn enough money for your effort by offering low-level items in the GTN. You will earn much more per hour if you do daily quests once you are level 50 or (in most cases) if you use your mission or gathering skills and sell what your companions bring back.

Not many people will buy high quality lowlevel gear and most of those who do are unwilling to pay a price that would make it worthwile for a player at level 50.

Most people do a few flashpoints for blue/orange gear or buy it for warzone commendations of for planetary commendations.

It´s almost impossible to avoid blue gear if you play the game as it is supposed to be played.

That keeps the number of people who buy lowlevel gear for credits on the GTN rather low.

Additional to that many guides and forum threads encourage people to save up their credits in order to buy their speeders at levels 25, 40 and 50.

And in addition to that the game is really easy and you level really fast. Which means that you neither need Artifact level gear nor that it will last long at lower levels.

Additional to all that there are the 2 days limit and the 50 items limit (I may be mistaken, maybe they were removed with 1.2.). That makes it even more stressful to offer slow-selling low-priced items.
Now playing:
Revolverheld John <Das Wayne-Vermächtnis>
Sithdartha <Das Gautama-Vermächtnis>

mrfoughtforever
04.24.2012 , 11:00 AM | #4
Low level crafting and gathering is so trivial in this game I'm honestly surprised it exists at all. I don't think many people would care if they made crafting only available at max level.

ThiborF
04.24.2012 , 11:03 AM | #5
Plus with 2 day listings, it's hit or miss to post lower level stuff because it's pure chance when a lower level char will buy up your listing. So you might list something multiple times just to get it to sell. With the small profit margin that tends to go with the lower level items, it's often not worth the crafter's time.

You might be better served simply asking in /general or /trade if any crafters are willing to help you out. Or check within your guild. I really miss the one addon from WoW, Altoholic, that allowed other people in your guild that used it to see your crafting list, even if it was for an alt-crafter not logged in. Made it MUCH easier to commission something to be made.

Also, don't know if you run alts but, one thing I have found since leveling is fairly easy in this game and reliance on having good gear for your level isn't a top priority for survival, consider taking commendations as the quest reward option when available. You'll find at the end of a typical planet you'll have 20-30+ and can use them to buy mods for alts coming up behind you and then it's a trickle down effect.

Owsley
04.24.2012 , 11:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ThiborF View Post
Also, don't know if you run alts but, one thing I have found since leveling is fairly easy in this game and reliance on having good gear for your level isn't a top priority for survival, consider taking commendations as the quest reward option when available. You'll find at the end of a typical planet you'll have 20-30+ and can use them to buy mods for alts coming up behind you and then it's a trickle down effect.
Commendations is one big reason I don't bother crafting for low level characters. It's just not worth it. I understand why this was needed at launch. but I wish it was phased out. All mods should be drops or user crafted. This would give crafting a huge boost and create a market for lower level stuff.

Baptes
04.24.2012 , 12:01 PM | #7
Crafters lose money making decent quality low level items. Hardly anyone buys them when you make them anyway so its a pretty pointless endeavour all around.

Sithhelmet
04.24.2012 , 12:18 PM | #8
Pre-1.2 I would put up 25 or so purple heavy low level armor on my main, would mail off 15 or so medium to an alt to put up (since I also had a number of other items for higher levels). I'd do the same on my synthweaver with light and medium/heavy force gear. I'd check every so often in the day and would make and post more. They sold quite often, I'd have to restock around half every day.

So far as little profit, I have to disagree. I could send a companion off to do one 60 minute rank 6 underworld trading mission in the hope to get a crit return of 2 mandalorian iron worth around 8k each. Or I could send one companion off to do 10 rank one missions in the same time to try for a crit of 2 agrinium, worth around 2-2.5k each in the crafted item. Even better, I could buy the agrinium for half that much most days and double the price with a crafted item.

So far as prices, I'd sell at a range of 5k for the low purples up to 15k for medium level ones. I'd also put a premium on ones that crit with an augment slot and make more that way. While those were being made I'd switch to an alt and do the same with Synthweaving, then while those were made switch to my slicers, biochem to do the same with implants, artifice, then back to the first to post, mail to alt seller(s) and reload the crafting and send off companions on UT missions.

No, making upwards of 1m credits a day doing this was a total waste of time. No exaggeration- I made nearly 3 million on the Saturday and Sunday before 1.2.

Since 1.2, though, I haven't sold jack squat. After a week of expired auctions I've concluded that what I could sell was for rich alts who now only buy the cheap legacy gear and mod that with the billions of leftover planet commendations that the mains have stored up. Also, players are less interested in alts now that there is new content for level 50.

Drewhat
04.24.2012 , 12:18 PM | #9
I noticed this on my server and I'm fixing it. It is mainly as a learning experience since the time investment quite lower than that for the higher level armor.

The interesting part about lower level gear is that when you make, say crit artifact level 10 gear, it can last you well the way up to levels 17 or 18, especially if you swap out the augment. I'm really trying to market the idea that people should pay more attention to what they are paying for per point of rating. First you worry about getting the right stats for your class, then you worry about the rating to level ratio. I've found that when this average ratio of all of your equipment drops below 2.25 (rating pts to level) playing against content that is at your level gets to be more difficult.

At lower levels it is much easier to get the ratio closer to 3.5 to 4 which means you can blow through content, die much less, and need fewer people in heroics.

So far my business strategy has been find out how much credits/rating pts a piece of gear is selling for in the level 20-40 range. And then I shoot for selling my lower level gear a little below that, depending on what is available. So for example if i see a bunch of blue level 32 belts, rating 83, selling for $8,500. I then figure that that is about $102/rt.pt. Therefore I figure I can get away with selling my purple level 20 belts (rating 74) for around $7k-$7.5k. The reality is that after about level 10 you should be advancing through content at the same speed, so people should be spending on armor relative to the amount of time they will be spending IN the armor. If people understood this I think there would be a more even distribution of armor on the market.

I've seen for example that most purples are inflated though for what can be bought in relation to them, and many people don't realize that you should see armor as a long term consumable item.

Taomist
04.24.2012 , 12:23 PM | #10
I've been seeing multiple people spamming trade with level 12-20 oranges going for 80K and up.
???

Are these realistic prices? Yeah I know you can spent the money to mod them up to use until 50 < I guess> but seriously, ***?
Ven Zallow Refugee