Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Future 3D Space Combat


zuile's Avatar


zuile
04.24.2012 , 08:30 AM | #41
3d space combat wouldn't lead to space exploration that'd be like making a whole new game just too much to do, it'd be like now where we fight around an asteroid belt/space station/planet just with an area that we can actually move around in how we'd like to, like battlefield's air combat vs a fullblown flight sim.
Great and Powerful Trixie best pony.

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
04.24.2012 , 08:31 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
I would hope they would get paid lol. Look, if they can afford to give out a free month to players for waiting around until 1.2 came out, I'm sure they have enough to pay a team.
Free month was a "loss leader". Just like advertizing at the local market. They get you in the door with it. Paying another team is another straight up budget expense with no direct revenue attached to it.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
04.24.2012 , 08:34 AM | #43
My fear is that they'll just relaunch the same basic missions we have with 3D flight enabled. This is the same group of guys who were giddy about the Legacy system, which turned out to be a flow chart and a way to sell over priced cosmetic items. They were also the same guys who told us Ilum would "blow us away"...Ilum was so bad, they've removed it from the game.

Honestly, they'd be better off investing time/resources into NON-combat activities. Let us customize our ship, player housing of some sort, multi-player mini games (not WZs), Open World PvP objectives...3D space just sounds like a massive investment of money, resources and time that could be better spent on many other things instead.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
04.24.2012 , 08:37 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by zuile View Post
3d space combat wouldn't lead to space exploration that'd be like making a whole new game just too much to do, it'd be like now where we fight around an asteroid belt/space station/planet just with an area that we can actually move around in how we'd like to, like battlefield's air combat vs a fullblown flight sim.
EXACTLY!!! Don't expect anything more than we have. Expect warzone type content, nothing more.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
04.24.2012 , 08:38 AM | #45
Space Combat was the only thing i was king at in pvp, most players never saw me coming, always causing them to do friendly fire and stuff like that, it was so funny.

As long as the npc fighters don't randomly spawn just as i take out another lot of fighters, cause thats what peed me off with SWG space combat.

Monoth's Avatar


Monoth
04.24.2012 , 08:38 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
My fear is that they'll just relaunch the same basic missions we have with 3D flight enabled. This is the same group of guys who were giddy about the Legacy system, which turned out to be a flow chart and a way to sell over priced cosmetic items. They were also the same guys who told us Ilum would "blow us away"...Ilum was so bad, they've removed it from the game.

Honestly, they'd be better off investing time/resources into NON-combat activities. Let us customize our ship, player housing of some sort, multi-player mini games (not WZs), Open World PvP objectives...3D space just sounds like a massive investment of money, resources and time that could be better spent on many other things instead.
That alone would actually be pretty cool.... there's nothing wrong with the mission designs we just need freedom to make it feel like your actually in control..... If your expecting a Sandbox space game (IE: SWG) your going to be very disappointed IMO....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
04.24.2012 , 08:45 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Free month was a "loss leader". Just like advertizing at the local market. They get you in the door with it. Paying another team is another straight up budget expense with no direct revenue attached to it.
Except more subs and expansion sales........ basically the winning MMORPG formula.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
04.24.2012 , 08:47 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
That alone would actually be pretty cool.... there's nothing wrong with the mission designs we just need freedom to make it feel like your actually in control..... If your expecting a Sandbox space game (IE: SWG) your going to be very disappointed IMO....
No, it wouldn't be 'cool'. Maybe you like repeating the same 5 missions over and over and over and over and over...I don't. I enjoy them for what they are, but the variety is most certainly lacking from Bioware.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Fizbanic's Avatar


Fizbanic
04.24.2012 , 08:56 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertheron View Post
I don't think its a good idea.

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.
I can see from your join date that it is possible you missed the big blow up concerning space combat. Back in the summer I believe it was first shown the boards were on fire about the pipeline space combat. People said that they would still do it but the fact that it was not full 3 dimension flight made it weak to pathetic. I recall maybe 1-2 people that openly voiced that they preferred the pipeline to the 3D flight that the "Majority" wanted.

Currently space combat is a joke, I can and have closed my eyes for about 30 seconds and shot down most of the enemy that flew past, always the same place and always the same timing. There is no challenge to it. Got bored and haven't done much other then when I start a new char.
ThyBountyHunter Mercenary Bounty Hunter
Conclave Atrum Empire Guild | Conclave Lumen Republic Guild

StavinskyElyas's Avatar


StavinskyElyas
04.24.2012 , 08:57 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertheron View Post
I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways
2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR
3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.
Mostly wrong on all the line, as a lot of people where already asking
for the 3D, joystick piloted, space fight since the Beta and before.

SWG had it as a nice part, and with all the supposed fights and battle around
a full 3D space could add more to the game. And it could even be more fun
if you could have full crews complement to fight with you, for exemple
taking the Scoundrel freighter, and having friends manning the turrets.
I can tell you it had some success on SWG with people who were
"not that good" with 3D piloting, but were enjoying a good evening
of space fight with 1 or 2 freighters fully manned with a couple of
escorts fighters.

I really hope BW will do it a nice way, and give us a great 3D space
environement.