Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Future 3D Space Combat

shepardcomander
04.24.2012 , 04:33 PM | #121
How excited can Mr. lead developer be about 3D space combat? At PAX 2010 he revealed his true feeling on the matter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpGxM...ayer_embedded#! at the 6:00 mark

Nightspirit
04.24.2012 , 04:46 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertheron View Post
The point is: you have limited resources. You can create 10 new flashpoints or 3D space combat. Not both.
So 10 new flashpoints that will attract exactly nobody new to the game who is not already playing it and the current user base will blow through in a day or 3D space combat which will attract a completely new demographic of players.

Which is the better use of the limited resources again?
"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippman

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the war room!" Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Zeez
04.24.2012 , 04:50 PM | #123
I would love to see this. If this game had star trek onlines 3d space combat / travel system and combined it with this games ground content the result would be an amazing game.

The going in your ship and watching it on a viewer to travel kinda made this game feel small. They should let you free roam the systems, combat etc, random encounters. I mean the only limit would be their imagination.

For those who dont want to, you can always just fast travel.

nevash
04.24.2012 , 05:13 PM | #124
I would love to see 3D space combat, even if it doesnt come out for a while.
Vyrėn

jarjarloves
04.24.2012 , 05:15 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.
And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.
because if they added everything at launch what you would add latter? SWG didn't get space combat till after what almost 2 years when Jump to Lightspeed came out?

They have been saying they have something big for Space Combat since launch so it's not like they have been quiet about it you just haven't been listening.

terminova
04.24.2012 , 05:18 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Zertheron View Post
I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways
2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR
3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.
About the third bullet point....most of the players would probably disagree with you.
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
I support...wait, which thread is this? Sorry, I'm following a lot of flame wars at the moment. Uh, oh yeah, clicking!

I support clicking!

jarjarloves
04.24.2012 , 05:21 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by shepardcomander View Post
How excited can Mr. lead developer be about 3D space combat? At PAX 2010 he revealed his true feeling on the matter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpGxM...ayer_embedded#! at the 6:00 mark
psssst thats not what 3d space combat is. he is talking about free space not 3d space combat.

He is saying they won't have a system like EVE where you can go for ever in one direction.

My bet is they will first add free flying 3d space combat in missions so it would be like the missions we have now but you can control where you go. Sort of like how X-wing vs Tie Fighter was.

They will probably also have it be PVP based as well.

lightSaberAddiCt
04.24.2012 , 05:22 PM | #128
But the thing is, if they went the way of SWG, it would yet be ANOTHER form of level grinding. That is what I like about the space combat as it is now. I don't want to have to level yet another element in the game, there is enough of that grind planet side.

Overall, not counting what the forum views are, everyone I talk to actually in-game about space pretty much like it. The only thing annoying is that when you get higher up, you have alot of missions that give no exp, and are completely greyed out. If they are going to do the rails, they should at least make sure the space missions level up with the quality of your armor, mods etc.

Maybe have an expansion that you can pay for, which is in no way tied into the existing space combat for the people that want a full leveling space experience like SWG. I mean that is not a simple thing to ask for.

shepardcomander
04.24.2012 , 05:46 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
psssst thats not what 3d space combat is. he is talking about free space not 3d space combat.

He is saying they won't have a system like EVE where you can go for ever in one direction.

My bet is they will first add free flying 3d space combat in missions so it would be like the missions we have now but you can control where you go. Sort of like how X-wing vs Tie Fighter was.

They will probably also have it be PVP based as well.
If that's not what 3D space combat is, then why did he give that answer? The question he was asked was not about remaking eve but about moving beyond single player rails into 3D and multiplayer space combat...

utio
04.24.2012 , 05:46 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
because if they added everything at launch what you would add latter? SWG didn't get space combat till after what almost 2 years when Jump to Lightspeed came out?

They have been saying they have something big for Space Combat since launch so it's not like they have been quiet about it you just haven't been listening.
Actually they said nothing about space at launch. And when they did say something it was that they had something planned. That's it. Not much to listen to really. But maybe you're right, maybe I've missed something. Point me in the right direction, show me where they've said what they're going to do please.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE