Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do you think about 1.2 and operation accessibility?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What do you think about 1.2 and operation accessibility?

Reryn
04.23.2012 , 08:36 PM | #1
Will the average player continue to play a game where they can't complete new content or have access to top end gear?

That's the question BW should be pondering. It doesn't matter if the top 10% of players who run orginized raids find the game easy. That's what nightmare mode is for, to get extra gear as a reward for running extra hard content.
Most of the people who play this game are casual. The casual player should be able to complete operation and hard mode flashpoints with their friends. They should eventually be able to complete hard mode operations to get top rated gear after a month or two of gear progression.

The current state of the game restricts the average casual player, by far the majority, from having access to end game content and gear.

The best players and best raiders should have a challenge. For them we have nightmare mode and yes, I agree, it should be really hard. Much harder then it is now. The problem is hard mode ops. The top players want it to be elite player exclusive transistion grounds and the casual player wants access to the best gear.

Hard mode, has to be casual friendly. Why? I'll tell you why, because people will not play a game where they are excluded and in a game like this, gear is everything. The same goes for rated warzones. If you restrict average players from the best gear. They wil not praticipate for very long. Who would?

Many casual people hung on just long enough to see some of the changes made in 1.2. What did they see? They saw that they will not be doing the new operation. They see that very soon they will be given a warzone rating and will be told they can't have PvP gear if they don't add up to the pro player.

IMO, BW has gone the wrong direction with this update. I think it will effect the overall player base and we will see a huge dip in subscribers. BW should have made nightmare modes harder and the new hard mode operation accessible.

Everything I have said is anecdotal, am I right? What are your opinions on the new content and will people stay to play it? I don't think they will.
ị▀ịị≡▀ị▀╠▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Council of Seven Vote, come join our democracy of evil!

krinaman
04.23.2012 , 08:54 PM | #2
Looking at a couple other MMO's recent history I would suspect that the move will cost them. The only question is how much and can they afford it.

aBrooski
04.23.2012 , 08:54 PM | #3
I apologize, but everything you wrote is irrelevant. Eternity vault and Karagga's are doable by folks in tionese/light Columni or Champion geared players on normal mode, rewarding them with Columni gear. Hard mode is doable by mostly Columni players, rewarding Rakata, and Nightmare continues from there.

PVP endgame content is accessible by everyone and anyone.. Rewarding you based on your persistence.. You can easily do better than those who have better gear than yourself.

Explosive conflict is hard, as it should be, to satisfy those willing to work hard enough to get the next level tier of items.

Again, I have no idea where you are coming from. Good day

Reryn
04.23.2012 , 09:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by aBrooski View Post
I apologize, but everything you wrote is irrelevant. Eternity vault and Karagga's are doable by folks in tionese/light Columni or Champion geared players on normal mode, rewarding them with Columni gear. Hard mode is doable by mostly Columni players, rewarding Rakata, and Nightmare continues from there.

PVP endgame content is accessible by everyone and anyone.. Rewarding you based on your persistence.. You can easily do better than those who have better gear than yourself.

Explosive conflict is hard, as it should be, to satisfy those willing to work hard enough to get the next level tier of items.

Again, I have no idea where you are coming from. Good day
I was talking about 1.2 content.

Also wasn't looking for snide comments. Was looking for responses an opinions and elaboration on why you think what you do and explain it thoroughly.

As stated I wanted to know what people's opinions where and why. I don't care if you just disagree. If you do disagree, please keep it relevant to what I said at least and stay on the topic of 1.2 content and what direction it is headed.

Thanks for coming

Reryn
04.23.2012 , 09:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by aBrooski View Post
Replying to the relevant part of your post.

I never said someone couldn't beat some who is in better gear. Right now PvP rewards are based on persistence. Take a look at war hero stuff, ratings come into play soon and gear will have a rating restriction. Do you think people will continue to play when restricted from the best gear? I don't think they will, who would?

bentleybender
04.23.2012 , 09:35 PM | #6
I agree with the original poster. The new HM flashpoint is not pug friendly. I made the mistake of pugging dps for it today and gave up after 2.5 hours of wiping and 2 trips to the repair bot. It is frustrating since I complete it with relative ease in guild groups. The pug group did make it to the end boss in that 2.5 hours, but it was grueling and not in the least bit enjoyable.

The new raid is harder than the previous raids in Hard mode and probably even nightmare. It will not be experienced by the vast majority of players tuned the way it currently is. My guild is having some trouble even on story mode despite completing the previous tier on nightmare. As a result, the guild is already seeing a higher rate of attrition in its raider ranks and the bench of the guild is not deep enough to suffer too many additional losses. As a result, I would not be surprised if in a couple of more weeks that we either will not be able to field a raid group or will need to start clearing EV and KP again to gear new recruits intead of working on the new content

I believe the developers over corrected from previous tiers perceived ease

Biovat
04.23.2012 , 09:41 PM | #7
It doesn't matter what the dev's do. At first all people complained about was everything was too easy and how boring the game was.

Now Bioware gives more challenging content at the next tier and now its too hard.

The issue isn't content difficulty, The issue is an entitled and whiny community that is never happy. So instead of being super excited about having to go back and run T1 HM FP's and HM/NM Ops to get more gear or find a better Operation group to run with people sit on the fleet alt tabbed and complain on the forums.

This game will never be perfect, No game will ever be perfect. just shut up and enjoy the ride.

Lymain
04.23.2012 , 09:59 PM | #8
As far as I know, the PvP items that are restricted by rating are fluff (mounts, gear with different appearances but the same stats). It will be far easier to get War Hero gear with ranked tokens, but you can do ranked matches without having a high rating.

As far as PvE goes, I think the Black Hole gear is really nice for people who aren't able/willing to jump right into Explosive Conflict Hard Mode. It opens up a new avenue for progression regardless of whether you've been farming hard mode operations or not.

bentleybender
04.23.2012 , 09:59 PM | #9
Biovat, thank you for the enlightening reply. The issue is the difficulty. The game went from being at difficulty level 1 to a difficulty level of say around 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. My view is that maybe they should have settled on something lower like a difficulty level of say 5.

This isnt my first MMO, nor am I new to raiding. My opinion is that they over reacted to a vocal minority that thought the game was too easy. At the end of the day it is a game and with the difficulty set the way it currently is it is not an enjoyable one to me.

So i will play out the couple of months I have left on my six month subscription and then probably go back to playing my old MMO.

As far as black hole gear, at least it is decently itemized, but people will just end up buying the pieces to pull the mods out to put in their old tier of gear to keep the set bonuses, which is the same reason augmented gear is worthless to almost anyone not running HM EC.

Iandayen
04.23.2012 , 10:01 PM | #10
Because everyone in wow has access to heroic gear right?

And everyone in wow has access to the highest tier arena gear right?

And they can all get this gear without raiding or pvping or putting in any work right?

And if they can't get this gear without putting in the work, and people will quit in droves like you claim, then why is it still the most successful game ever, and still has more than 5 times the subscribers as the next highest mmo.

So obviously bioware should 100% ignore the best company role model they have and do what you and a vocal minority think they should do eh?
Hardpeck - Arsenal Mercenary
Ambient.enjin.com