Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Corruption PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Corruption PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

Onager
04.23.2012 , 05:50 PM | #1
This is the Corruption Sorcerer flavored version of the guide I posted on the Sage board earlier today, enjoy!
Purpose:
Spoiler

Street Cred:
Spoiler

Guide starts here:
As for my take on the changes, I'll summarize and wrap up this preface as follows: We are no longer a single-resource healer. We are now a dual-resource healer. This is the core of our resource mechanic now, like it or not, and learning how to be more observant of our health totals in addition to our force pools will be the difference between succeeding and failing as we move forward with the content.

Barebones stuff: In the beginning

Welcome to Corruption Healing in 1.2! The community thanks you for your contribution, no matter how much they insist otherwise! Let's get down to brass tacks.

The Build:

32/7/2 High Crit
I define 'High Crit' as ~35%+ after Agent buff and Companion affection. I consider 40% crit total to be soft cap, since that's when you're guaranteed to crit with Recklessness + Dark Infusion.

32/7/2 Low Crit
This is the one for those with lower than 35% buffed crit.

There are quite a few viable alternatives to these two, that are up to personal preference, but I consider these two to be the best.

Priority Flowchart for 1.2 Corruption Healing:

1. Before the fight, Static Barrier everyone and Seethe.
  2. Are you unfortunately in the interrupt rotation? If so, Jolt as necessary, reserving the right to make known your protests for having been reduced to doing so. Otherwise;
  3. Does the fight have a stacking cleansable debuff mechanic? If so, Purge. Otherwise;
  4. Does tank have the Deionized debuff? If no, Static Barrier. Otherwise;
  5. Does tank have Reconstruct? If not, Resurgence. Otherwise;
  6. Do you have Force Surge, and your health is over 95% and/or your Force is 50 or more points below max? Consumption. Otherwise;
  7. AE Damage of any kind affecting 2 or more players? Force Bending > Revivification, placed where you can benefit from it as well. If you've freshly placed Resurgence on the tank and you need Force Bending, hit yourself, an offtank, or one of the melees who routinely take damage with it just for the proc.
  8. Someone need healing? Triage time!
    • Green (Minor): Tank? Wait for yellow. You or a DPS? You and they should stand in Revivification to heal/pewpew. Heroes before Herps. I strongly advise going wherever your Revivification needs to be and stand in it. If damage is somewhat continual, Resurgence.
    • Yellow (Moderate): Static Barrier > Resurgence > Innervate. Refer to no. 6 above for general Force Surge guidelines. Dark Infusion filler as necessary.
    • Red (Severe): If the burst healing phase is predictable, have Revivification down on the tank first. Pop a relic. Static Barrier before the relic if it's Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if it's Power. Recklessness > Dark Infusion x2 > Resurgence > Innervate. Wait till you're back to Yellow to spend your Force Surges, unless you're about to cast another Force Surged Innervate or Force Surge will fall off without being spent.
  9. Does the fight have some kind of hard-to-avoid AE mechanic or one where the boss targets people at random? Static Barrier whenever Deionized falls off.

A note on Dark Heal: Dark Heal is now (as before) pretty situational. Basically, the only time it really works is if you're in a Red rotation and the player in question won't live to see the first Dark Infusion for whatever reason, either your other healer is dead or out of range, etc. In this particular case, the rotation for best burst healing would be to have Revivification down if possible, relic/adrenals, Static Barrier (before Relic/Adrenals if Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if Power), Resurgence > Dark Heal > Innervate > Dark Infusion filler. This is a pretty rare occurrence, most of the time you can get through the vast majority of boss encounters without so much as touching Dark Heal, but it's a good thing to know in the tiny percentage of cases where it comes in handy. Dark Heal loses out on HPS and HPF vs both Dark Infusion and Innervate in pretty much all cases.

Force Management: Back to the two resource thing. Things have changed for us. You now have to watch not only the Red Bars, and the mechanics of the fight breaking loose around you, and that DPS or other healer that's standing in the red circle of 'Don't stand here FFS', and your Force Bar, but also your own health bar as well. Here's some handy protips:
  • If your health gets too high, (90% to 95% or higher) use Consumption whether you have Force Surge up or not, just be wary of going over two stacks. It seems counterproductive, but you should be trying not to be at 100% health, as this represents an untapped resource.
  • In the event of stacking Consumption without Force Surge, generally I stay at one stack and let that stack fall off before using Consumption without Force Surge again. At 50% Force, I bring it up to two stacks instead, and again, wait for those stacks to drop before refreshing. I personally feel that 2 stacks is the absolute max you should sit at, since our native regen is more significant due to the general slowing of our healing pace.
  • Triage section above applies to you, too.
  • You're not alone. You don't have to bear the full burden of your resource mechanic by yourself, especially if your other healer hero homey is doing fine on his resource or has a free heal to toss your direction, it significantly eases your usage of Consumption.
  • Basic common sense stuff, but if you're at full health when you throw down Revivification, Consumption first so you have something to heal.
  • Consumption is always a net gain in force, although triple and quad stacking of the Consumption debuff puts you in a position where Consumption itself becomes your regen and you better have some beefy healing income to compensate. This is more practical in 16-player content than it is in the rest, however, and great caution needs to be observed in its application.

Overhealing. This is the concept of wasting resources healing someone for more health than they needed. For all the comments I make in this guide about us being a dual resource healer and how to properly manage Force, if you're overhealing a lot on your single target heals, all this talk of force economy is basically for naught. You eventually develop a feel for how much you can heal for with a given heal.

If you don't trust your feelings on that, a simple equation is to find out what actual increase to your base healing comes from your crit/surge by taking your surge multi and dividing it by 100, then multiply that by your raid buffed crit chance. That number is the actual average amount your heals are increased by your crit/surge combined. In my case, my Surge multiplier is 77%, and my crit chance raid buffed and stimmed is 40%. [77/100]*40=30.8, so my crit/surge combined multiply the noncrit base healing of my heals by 1.308 on average. If you're calculating Dark Heal or Innervate under Force Bending or Dark Infusion under Recklessness, make sure to take their increased crit chances into account during these calculations.

You then multiply your noncrit base healing amount by that number to find the rough estimate of how much you can expect that heal to be good for on average to avoid overhealing. For example, my Innervate buffed but not stimmed heals for 938 a tick, or 4908 average across four ticks after being multiplied by 1.308, without Force Bending. With Force Bending it heals for 5630 average across all four ticks. So if I was going to Innervate someone with Force Bending, I'd optimally wait until they were about 6k health down before doing it to avoid overhealing. Even with lucky crits the chance of overhealing him and how much I do overheal is much lower than if I just launched into Innervate at the sight of a dropping bar.

Gearing: Most of your equipment at endgame that's designed for healers specifically (Including set gear) is going to have a lot of power/alacrity enhancements. Personally, I ended up keeping the alacrity enhancements in two of my pieces and dropping the rest for crit/surge and power/surge enhancements (The latter of which comes from Columni Agent gloves.).

I ended up retaining about 5% alacrity. The reason for dropping alacrity is that our resource is now limited like it wasn't before, having fatter heals and more/better crits will slow down our healing pace without necessarily harming our throughput that badly, which in turn will allow for native Force regeneration to play a slightly heavier role in a typical Operations boss fight that we used to cover up with Force Surge abuse. The other reason being that our emergency burst heal is now Static Barrier which is and always has been instant. We're not really what you go looking for if you're looking for massive burst healing single-target. Our healing is more AoE-centric and sustained, especially while min/maxing our resource.

That being said, striking a somewhat even balance between all three of Crit, Surge, and Alacrity with Power everywhere else would be a fair tradeoff, as this way you avoid hitting Diminishing Returns on your ratings for which it may apply.

Additionally, for Columni (and Rakata) tier gear, the Armorings for a specific slot are interchangeable without disrupting the set bonus, and because the daily lockout has been removed from Hard Mode Flashpoints, you have more flexibility in gearing yourself. Personally, I'd switch any Force User armorings with Resolve ones for the same slot (By getting both the Force Mystic and Force Master piece for a given slot and mixing/matching the best combinations of components), and also work on replacing one piece of either your Head, Chest, or Legs slot with an Augmented Custom-quality crafted piece, as well as your light saber/vibrosword. You don't necessarily need to swap out the Mods for the ones with the highest willpower, as the amount of power or crit on the lower Willpower ones is enough to compensate, as long as you're not hitting DR on Crit.

When you start getting Campaign gear, you can replace every one of them with the Custom piece of your choice, including augment slots on your Chest, Head, and Leg slots as well as potentially your wrists/belt (If you're a Synthweaver), and accessories. The only reason we don't do this with Columni/Rakata equipment is primarily because the new mechanic of set bonuses being grandfathered over to the Custom piece with the armoring only applies to Tier 2.1 equipment and beyond.

Stat priority is Willpower over Endurance in terms of primary stats, and Power > Crit/Surge > Alacrity on the secondaries.

Changelog:
  • 4/23/12 Found a discrepancy in my Triage priority thanks to Aurojiin.
  • 4/24/12 Added notes/clarifications about the build (Aurojiin, Gruddy) and Consumption/Noble Sacrifice always being a net gain in force (Daellia). Added note about Campaign gear. Fixed some of my custom Englishin' ****.
  • 4/26/12 Finally caved on the Lightning Barrier thing, including a low crit and a high crit build. Stopped being a moron about the wording on the Triage section, resulting in a significant amount of deep cleansing thereof.
  • 4/27/12 Dropped minimum number of damaged targets for Salvation/Revivification down to 2 instead of 3 due to finally getting around to working out the math on its HPF under Conveyance. (XtremJedi )
  • 4/29/12 Adding notes about Benevolence/Dark Heal usage and overhealing. (schmidtyfi)

That's about it. Feel free to comment on and/or criticize my work, and if you point something out that can be blatantly improved upon, I'm not too big for my britches to edit it in while giving you proper credit for making it better.

Onager
04.23.2012 , 06:05 PM | #2
Reserved for specific tactics for healing through operations bosses.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

jordynz
04.24.2012 , 06:18 AM | #3
Nice guide Confirmed most of mt thoughts and showed me a great take on things

Daellia
04.24.2012 , 09:38 AM | #4
Nice job. Can't really find any issues with it, except for this:

Quote:
In the event of stacking Consumption without Force Surge, generally I stay at one stack and let that stack fall off before using Consumption without Force Surge again. At 50% Force, I bring it up to two stacks instead, and again, wait for those stacks to drop before refreshing. I personally feel that 2 stacks is the absolute max you should sit at, since our native regen is more significant due to the general slowing of our healing pace.
Technically speaking, every stack provides (approximately) the same benefit, as long as the Consumption casts are back-to-back. All casts of Consumption are force-positive so long as they are not refreshing the debuff after a fair portion of its duration. The efficiency of each cast drops slightly as you cast more (due to the 1.5 seconds between refreshes), but as long as they are cast back-to-back they are going to be force-positive. For example:

1 cast: 10 seconds @ -25% regen, +48 Force -> net 28 Force gained, -15% HP
2 casts: 1.5 @ -25% regen, 10 @ -50%, +96 Force -> net 53 Force (26.5 per cast), -30% HP
3 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, 10 @ -75%, +144 Force -> net 75 (25 per cast), -45% HP
4 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 10 @ -100%, +192 Force -> net 94 Force (23.5 per cast), -60% HP
5 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 11.5 @ -100%, +240 Force -> net 130 (26 per cast), -75% HP
6 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 13 @ -100%, +288 Force -> net 166 (27.7 per cast), -90% HP

Obviously the last few are impractical for normal use, but using it 3-4 times in a row (particularly if the first cast is Force Surged) is perfectly viable if the encounter mechanics allow it (and many of them do if you time it right).
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Gruddy
04.24.2012 , 10:55 AM | #5
@ OP: you are proposing a HPS nerf to the community by not getting Lightning Barrier [2/2]. And albeit a very thought-out post, I have just one point of contention.

My suggestion is moving 1 talent point, whereby making Force Surge [1/2] a 50% chance to proc from an Innervate crit (since -any- of the channeled tics that crit have a 50% chance to proc this talent), and maintain a 20% increase to the damage absorbed by your shield through Lightning Barrier [2/2].

So, for your consideration, my addendum:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...0duzZf00MZ0M.1
[32/7/2]
May your pants never falter, even when they're optional.

Onager
04.24.2012 , 11:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
Nice job. Can't really find any issues with it, except for this:

Technically speaking, every stack provides (approximately) the same benefit, as long as the Consumption casts are back-to-back. All casts of Consumption are force-positive so long as they are not refreshing the debuff after a fair portion of its duration. The efficiency of each cast drops slightly as you cast more (due to the 1.5 seconds between refreshes), but as long as they are cast back-to-back they are going to be force-positive. For example:

1 cast: 10 seconds @ -25% regen, +48 Force -> net 28 Force gained, -15% HP
2 casts: 1.5 @ -25% regen, 10 @ -50%, +96 Force -> net 53 Force (26.5 per cast), -30% HP
3 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, 10 @ -75%, +144 Force -> net 75 (25 per cast), -45% HP
4 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 10 @ -100%, +192 Force -> net 94 Force (23.5 per cast), -60% HP
5 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 11.5 @ -100%, +240 Force -> net 130 (26 per cast), -75% HP
6 casts: 1.5 @ -25%, -50%, -75%, 13 @ -100%, +288 Force -> net 166 (27.7 per cast), -90% HP

Obviously the last few are impractical for normal use, but using it 3-4 times in a row (particularly if the first cast is Force Surged) is perfectly viable if the encounter mechanics allow it (and many of them do if you time it right).
Yeah, I'm aware that consumption is always force positive, (Showed the same math to Khadroth over on the Sage board) but my contention remains that the nerfs were designed more than anything to slow us down, and slower healing allows for less reliance on Consumption in general anyways, so stacking 3 or 4 stacks of Consumption requires more healing income to you and necessitates slower throughput to compensate for the lack of natural regen. In a 16 man with four Sorcerers staggering Revivifications you can basically use Consumption as your regen with little to no ill effect, however for HM Flashpoints and 8-player content this is impractical.

This is mostly why I advocate only two-stacking Consumption. It's more of a gentle, proactive maintenance mechanic than it is reactive compensation.

I'll include a note on this in both of the guides for clarification, thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gruddy View Post
@ OP: you are proposing a HPS nerf to the community by not getting Lightning Barrier [2/2]. And albeit a very thought-out post, I have just one point of contention.

My suggestion is moving 1 talent point, whereby making Force Surge [1/2] a 50% chance to proc from an Innervate crit (since -any- of the channeled tics that crit have a 50% chance to proc this talent), and maintain a 20% increase to the damage absorbed by your shield through Lightning Barrier [2/2].

So, for your consideration, my addendum:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...0duzZf00MZ0M.1
[32/7/2]
Personally, I'd take a point out of Dark Resilience before I'd commit to touching 2/2 Force Surge. The main thing to look at for this IMO is what you give up for what. I personally feel that the *best* place to take that point out of is Seeping Darkness, but only if you're damn close to if not exceeding 40% crit after Agent buff and pet affection bonus. This might be worth reviewing if other Force healers like myself are dropping alacrity for more crit/surge and power. I'm a half a percent away from 40% crit as it stands, and 40% is where your Dark Infusions are guaranteed to crit after Recklessness, so I consider that a soft cap of sorts. I added a line describing this in the Sage version of this guide, so I'll include it here as well. Thanks.

PS: it's also of note that if your crit is high enough to take the point out of Seeping Darkness it's probably also high enough to take the point out of Force Surge, so you might actually end up with another floater out of the deal. Food for thought.

Edit: The Sage version of this guide was stickied within 30 minutes, let's get this up there. :3
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]

Onager
04.24.2012 , 01:57 PM | #7
Updated the OP, including changelog.

Nyvan
04.24.2012 , 03:43 PM | #8
THANK YOU! It's nice to hear someone is doing something helpful and positive in reaction to the changes to sorc heals from 1.2. Personally I love my sorc...and since I was only level 40 when the patch went through...didn't notice the changes at all. But thanks for your helpful insights into sorc healing!

Onager
04.24.2012 , 10:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyvan View Post
THANK YOU! It's nice to hear someone is doing something helpful and positive in reaction to the changes to sorc heals from 1.2. Personally I love my sorc...and since I was only level 40 when the patch went through...didn't notice the changes at all. But thanks for your helpful insights into sorc healing!
Thanks man, someone had to do it!

Also I can has sticky!

Aurojiin
04.25.2012 , 12:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
Also I can has sticky!
Which is good, because this thread deserves it.