Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Profs and Companion Gifts...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Profs and Companion Gifts...

Blackardin
06.02.2012 , 05:14 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KorinHyvek View Post
There are only so many underworld metals/luxary fabrics/experimental compound missions available. You're not supposed to be able to be able to have all 5 companions out collecting the same type of resource at once. While, with a bit of trickery, you can do just that, that's not the design intent.
Please explain why. What would be the intent? This is a question that I would pose to the dev team. In attempting to understand why one would postulate such a theory, I can find no logical reason to do so while formulating many a reason to the contrary.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Heezdedjim
06.02.2012 , 12:05 PM | #12
I often have 5 out of 5 available missions being nothing but gifts for UT. And when I play the relog slot machine game . . . I get five more gift missions. I have not seen other mission skills being quite so plagued by gift missions as UT.

And there is no "economic" reason that we should not be able to dispatch five companions on any particular type of mission we want, any time, all the time. The economic sourcing and sinking of items through crafting is completely controlled through three variables the developers can alter at will: (1) time to run for each mission; (2) credit cost for each mission; and (3) mission yield. If "too many" units of a particular mat are entering the game, they can just ramp up the credit and time cost to run high yield missions for that material and *poof* problem solved.

Similarly, there is no reason for there to be only "moderate" yield missions and no bountiful or rich for certain categories of materials, like the level 2 power crystals. They're perfectly free to make the rich missions cost as much as they want in credits and time; even to cost more per unit than moderate yield ones; but there is no reason we can't have five missions spread across all the yield categories, for each tier and type of material, that we can choose from at any time. Two moderate, One abundant, One Bountiful, and One Rich would work just fine.

The only thing that a crippled and restricted mission roster does is make crafting a boring, frustrating, tedious chore, where most of your time is spent on idiotic kludges like ship-hopping or constant relogging trying to get the mission dispatch slot machine to give you what you want.

Esproc
06.13.2012 , 12:26 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
The only thing that a crippled and restricted mission roster does is make crafting a boring, frustrating, tedious chore, where most of your time is spent on idiotic kludges like ship-hopping or constant relogging trying to get the mission dispatch slot machine to give you what you want.
Exactly so. Boring to the point of logging out, sometimes just falling asleep in my chair to fianlly wake up and just play Solitaire, Minesweeper, Mahjong, or FreeCell, because I can't stand to bore myself to death again with the roulette table loaded with Companion gifts.
In this Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice!

Keiret
06.13.2012 , 06:57 AM | #14
Whilst it wouldn't address the underlying issue, which is the ratio of gift missions, it would improve the interface if we could filter to hide certain mission types (and not have to do it every time we log in).

I have no issue occasionally running UT luxury fabric missions as opposed to metals, as I need both. But I don't need or want to run companion gift missions on certain characters (particularly if all of their comps are at max affection and I'm low on cargo space/GTN orders). And tbh I don't want to see them either, it adds to the time wasted just scrolling through them to read. Same thing for light/dark side missions on characters that are maxed either side, or pursuing a particular alignment.

Silveracorn
06.13.2012 , 07:57 AM | #15
You guys do realize that gifts increase your companions' affection and thereby combat effectiveness, efficiency, chance of crits, etc...? Not to mention story development. Why would you not want that? I do gift missions almost exclusively until they are rank 6 affection.

johnnyreece
06.13.2012 , 08:25 AM | #16
Yeah, I'm actually working on maxing all my companions' affection right now, so I'm glad when my Treasure Hunting window has 3 companion gifts missions...
Neldiahr, Sith Sorcerer Gibsenne, Imperial Operative
Neldienne, Powertech Smash'Kitteh, Meowauder

Darth_Philar
06.13.2012 , 08:54 AM | #17
I only send out for Companion Gifts right now (farming affection points) and I only ever have 1-2 of them available at any given time. The game does seem to try and prevent targeted farming via crew missions by reducing the number of missions available for whatever result you are focusing on. Not sure if this is real or confirmation bias though, as I don't have actual hard data to compare.
Server: The Fatman
Philar - Corruption Sorcerer - Level 50 | Satarel - Rage Marauder - Level 50
Geheime - Concealment Operative - Level 20 | Zahhak - Arsenal Mercenary - Level 17

asbalana
06.13.2012 , 08:56 AM | #18
The companion gifts are just fillers. They are there to keep the number of mats missions that can be run at any time down and so regulate the supply of purple mats.

The one thing that I don't get is that the companion gifts always sell and since they are so prevalent, I am not sure who is buying them.

parmie
06.13.2012 , 09:23 AM | #19
Gifts do have their uses and with legacy there is more incentive for non-crafters to max out affection so there is even a reasonable demand on my server for them.

The original poster is correct however, there are just far too many gift missions. I constantly run gifts while doing operations and rarely does it trend towards fabrics or metals.

One you have maxed out your own affection, there is an annoyance factor to there being so many. We're not here to be annoyed?

Ivan-Drago
06.13.2012 , 12:38 PM | #20
I turn a good profit selling companion gifts. The purples sell quick for 8000 to 10000.