Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Profs and Companion Gifts...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Profs and Companion Gifts...

Grethore
04.23.2012 , 05:41 PM | #1
Ok BW, ENOUGH with the missions for companion gifts. For cryin out loud Hesus H. Cristos! Every single toon with underworld trading, every single mission is for companion gifts. Enough is enough. No one gives a rats @%& about companion gifts! And yet they accound for 50% of underworld trading...and I think "treasure hunting" too...and slicing...is now almost completely worthless.

These are crew professions not the local Hallmark shop. Having to leave and return from my ship every single time I want to send a companion on a crew mission is a bit much, especially when that mission could fail or come back with something I don't want or need.

Come on, change/fix this please.

Skodan
04.23.2012 , 06:16 PM | #2
its not a bug. its to reduce the number of times the mission you actually want to appear. if for example you take scavenging and you only send out metal missions then eventually less and less metal missions will appear and only have the compounds and crafting material ones to appear.

you need to diversify the missions you send out. if you alternate between the companion gifts and whatever trade item you want then it will never be completely filled with gifts.

since you mentioned underworld trade if you are going for just UT Metals then you will notice CGs and UT Fabrics to appear more, and vice versa if you ran just UT Fabrics
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

AndasKastor
04.23.2012 , 07:15 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Grethore View Post
Having to leave and return from my ship every single time I want to send a companion on a crew mission is a bit much, especially when that mission could fail or come back with something I don't want or need.
You do realize that you can send your companions out from anywhere don't you? Just click on the ship icon on the companion icon or press N (default key anyway) to bring up the crew skills window.

I am always sending out my companions in between fights and such.

Zekim
04.23.2012 , 09:28 PM | #4
I do companion gift runs constantly. I don't swap companions out too often (I prefer Mako's heals over anyone else) so I use them to build the others affection stats. I could also mail some to an alt and save him some affection leveling time (if that's allowed). I do get frustrated when I can't get the right material from a mission but I don't make crafting my priority. It's secondary.

Grethore
04.27.2012 , 12:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AndasKastor View Post
You do realize that you can send your companions out from anywhere don't you? Just click on the ship icon on the companion icon or press N (default key anyway) to bring up the crew skills window.

I am always sending out my companions in between fights and such.
You missed what I was trying to say. Going form planet/station to ship reset the crew missions available. So if I only got 1 metal mission out of 8 or so, I could send one pet on that one, go to my ship, pull up the missions again and another would be available, metal mission that is. It's just a way to get around the "you have no choice but to get companions gifts" problem. I send me pets from anywhere, like you said, already do that, it's the mission selection that just sucks. And the only way around it is going onto and leaving the ship constantly.

Point is, I don't care about companion gifts. I have 3 underworld traders, and when all 3 have nothing but companion gifts as options, that just sucks. In a way, it doesn't make sense too. If I'm sending a pet to do something, logically, it's with a purpose and there would be an objective to achieve, and that is to get the underworld metals that you can't get any other way. Conversely, you can get companion gifts from other profs. IE: slicing, treasure hunting etc etc. With 3 UW traders, 3 treasure hunters, and a slicer, I have plenty of companion gifts to go around, I don't want more.

JRastenn
04.27.2012 , 01:21 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Grethore View Post
Conversely, you can get companion gifts from other profs. IE: slicing, treasure hunting etc etc. With 3 UW traders, 3 treasure hunters, and a slicer, I have plenty of companion gifts to go around, I don't want more.
Slicing can get you companion gifts? Since when?

Also, if you don't want to zone back and forth (I take forever to load planets) you can always send one companion on a 3 minute tier 1 mission. When they return, it resets your whole list. It's not ideal, and I agree the current system is badly designed, but it is what it is.

Veeius
04.27.2012 , 03:05 PM | #7
Poor design is poor. I've never seen anything so frustrating before. It's not "interesting" or "fun" it's not even "boring." It's "REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATING."

KorinHyvek
04.27.2012 , 03:12 PM | #8
There are only so many underworld metals/luxary fabrics/experimental compound missions available. You're not supposed to be able to be able to have all 5 companions out collecting the same type of resource at once. While, with a bit of trickery, you can do just that, that's not the design intent.
The Ferrin Legacy, Ebon Hawk
Major Volner Ferrin // Darth Hessar

Esproc
06.02.2012 , 03:20 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KorinHyvek View Post
There are only so many underworld metals/luxary fabrics/experimental compound missions available. You're not supposed to be able to be able to have all 5 companions out collecting the same type of resource at once. While, with a bit of trickery, you can do just that, that's not the design intent.
If I can't craft because I can never get my materials because they are always full of Companion Gifts mission then what is the point.

Spend a half hour or more logging back and forth resetting the missions to fianally get a moderate or (Gasp) abundant metal mission.

I have an Armormech that needs the metal missions.

I have a Cybertech that needs the metal missions.

I have a Synthweaver that uses Luxury Fabrics missions, which are much more available than metal missions, but also needs metal missions.

I have never once with any (I am maxed on all crafting and gathering skills) used a single Companion Gift or Lockbox etc.. to craft any type or form of item.

The Companion Gifts missions need a nerf sledge hammer to put things in perspective. 4 or 5 of 5 missions being Companion Gifts missions is all too normal a sight for the selection of missions to send a Companion on.

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...ftsAgain16.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...pnGfts1001.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...mpnGfts124.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...CmpnGfts60.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...CmpnGfts97.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...mpnGfts145.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...CmpnGfts83.jpg

http://myimages.bravenet.com/362/328...rCmpnGft63.jpg

Shows just a super, very small, sample of what it is like every time you open gathering skills to run mission options.

Covers pretty well all of the, UT, TH, Diplomacy, and Investigation.

Logging off and on for half an hour to an hour to get a moderate run for 2 pieces, or for another 200 credits or so an abundant run for 4 pieces, the cost effectiveness is horrendous, and the lack of pretty much never being able to get the needed artifact items (metals, compounds, med supplies, gems) means you can not make the artifact items for either sale or for personal use.
In this Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice!

Blackardin
06.02.2012 , 05:10 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Skodan View Post
its not a bug. its to reduce the number of times the mission you actually want to appear. if for example you take scavenging and you only send out metal missions then eventually less and less metal missions will appear and only have the compounds and crafting material ones to appear.

you need to diversify the missions you send out. if you alternate between the companion gifts and whatever trade item you want then it will never be completely filled with gifts.

since you mentioned underworld trade if you are going for just UT Metals then you will notice CGs and UT Fabrics to appear more, and vice versa if you ran just UT Fabrics

I do not find this to be true. If one were to step in and out of their ship, the desired missions will pop regardless of how many of any mission one has run in the past. I've also done a test round running only companion gifts and found the return rate to remain steady. In short, this did not diminish the number of companion gifts available at any time.

The overall return rate for companion gifts is 3.15 to 1 over underworld metals. In many cases when I was testing this, there would be 4 companion gifst and one fabric mission returned with no underworld metal missions at all.
May the Schwartz be with you....