Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seer PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Seer PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

Onager
04.23.2012 , 02:31 PM | #1
Purpose:
Spoiler

Street Cred:
Spoiler

Guide starts here:
As for my take on the changes, I'll summarize and wrap up this preface as follows: We are no longer a single-resource healer. We are now a dual-resource healer. This is the core of our resource mechanic now, like it or not, and learning how to be more observant of our health totals in addition to our force pools will be the difference between succeeding and failing as we move forward with the content.

Barebones stuff: In the beginning

Welcome to Seer Healing in 1.2! The community thanks you for your contribution, no matter how much they insist otherwise! Let's get down to brass tacks.

The Build:

32/7/2 High Crit
I define 'High Crit' as ~35%+ after Agent buff and Companion affection. I consider 40% crit total to be soft cap, since that's when you're guaranteed to crit with Force Potency + Deliverance.

32/7/2 Low Crit
This is the one for those with lower than 35% buffed crit.

There are quite a few viable alternatives to these two, that are up to personal preference, but I consider these two to be the best.

Priority Flowchart for 1.2 Seer Healing:

1. Before the fight, Force Armor everyone and Meditate.
  2. Are you unfortunately in the interrupt rotation? If so, Mind Snap as necessary, reserving the right to make known your protests for having been reduced to doing so. Otherwise;
  3. Does the fight have a stacking cleansable debuff mechanic? If so, Restoration. Otherwise;
  4. Does tank have Force Imbalanced debuff? If no, Force Armor. Otherwise;
  5. Does tank have Force Shelter? If not, Rejuvenate. Otherwise;
  6. Do you have Resplendence, and your health is over 95% and/or your Force is 50 or more points below max? Noble Sacrifice. Otherwise;
  7. AE Damage of any kind affecting 2 or more players? Conveyance > Salvation, placed where you can benefit from it as well. If you've freshly placed Rejuvenate on the tank and you need Conveyance, hit yourself, an offtank, or one of the melees who routinely take damage with it just for the proc.
  8. Someone need healing? Triage time!
    • Green (Minor): Tank? Wait for yellow. You or a DPS? You and they should stand in Salvation to heal/pewpew. Heroes before Herps. I strongly advise going wherever your Salvation needs to be and stand in it. If damage is somewhat continual, Rejuvenate.
    • Yellow (Moderate): Force Armor > Rejuvenate > Healing Trance. Refer to no. 6 above for general Resplendence guidelines. Deliverance filler as necessary.
    • Red (Severe): If the burst healing phase is predictable, have Salvation down on the tank first. Pop a relic. Force Armor before the relic if it's Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if it's Power. Force Potency > Deliverance x2 > Rejuvenate > Healing Trance. Wait till you're back to Yellow to spend your Resplendences, unless you're about to cast another Conveyed Healing Trance or Resplendence will fall off without being spent.
  9. Does the fight have some kind of hard-to-avoid AE mechanic or one where the boss targets people at random? Force Armor whenever Force Imbalanced falls off.

A note on Benevolence: Benevolence is now (as before) pretty situational. Basically, the only time it really works is if you're in a Red rotation and the player in question won't live to see the first Deliverance for whatever reason, either your other healer is dead or out of range, etc. In this particular case, the rotation for best burst healing would be to have Salvation down if possible, relic/adrenals, Force Armor (before Relic/Adrenals if Crit/Surge or Alacrity, after if Power), Rejuvenate > Benevolence > Healing Trance > Deliverance filler. This is a pretty rare occurrence, most of the time you can get through the vast majority of boss encounters without so much as touching Benevolence, but it's a good thing to know in the tiny percentage of cases where it comes in handy. Benevolence loses out on HPS and HPF vs both Deliverance and Healing Trance in pretty much all cases.

Force Management: Back to the two resource thing. Things have changed for us. You now have to watch not only the Red Bars, and the mechanics of the fight breaking loose around you, and that DPS or other healer that's standing in the red circle of 'Don't stand here FFS', and your Force Bar, but also your own health bar as well. Here's some handy protips:
  • If your health gets too high, (90% to 95% or higher) use Noble Sacrifice whether you have Resplendence up or not, just be wary of going over two stacks. It seems counterproductive, but you should be trying not to be at 100% health, as this represents an untapped resource.
  • In the event of stacking Noble Sacrifice without Resplendence, generally I stay at one stack and let that stack fall off before using Noble Sacrifice without Resplendence again. At 50% Force, I bring it up to two stacks instead, and again, wait for those stacks to drop before refreshing. I personally feel that 2 stacks is the absolute max you should sit at, since our native regen is more significant due to the general slowing of our healing pace.
  • Triage section above applies to you, too.
  • You're not alone. You don't have to bear the burden of your resource mechanic by yourself, especially if your other healer hero homey is doing fine on his resource or has a free heal to toss your direction, it significantly eases your usage of Noble Sacrifice.
  • Basic common sense stuff, but if you're at full health when you throw down Salvation, Noble Sacrifice first so you have something to heal.
  • Noble Sacrifice is always a net gain in force, although triple and quad stacking of the Noble Sacrifice debuff puts you in a position where Noble Sacrifice itself becomes your regen and you better have some beefy healing income to compensate. This is more practical in 16-player content than it is in the rest, however, and great caution needs to be observed in its application.

Overhealing. This is the concept of wasting resources healing someone for more health than they needed. For all the comments I make in this guide about us being a dual resource healer and how to properly manage Force, if you're overhealing a lot on your single target heals, all this talk of force economy is basically for naught. You eventually develop a feel for how much you can heal for with a given heal.

If you don't trust your feelings on that, a simple equation is to find out what actual increase to your base healing comes from your crit/surge by taking your surge multi and dividing it by 100, then multiply that by your raid buffed crit chance. That number is the actual average amount your heals are increased by your crit/surge combined. In my case, my Surge multiplier is 77%, and my crit chance raid buffed and stimmed is 40%. [77/100]*40=30.8, so my crit/surge combined multiply the noncrit base healing of my heals by 1.308 on average. If you're calculating Benevolence or Healing Trance under Conveyance or Deliverance under Force Potency, make sure to take their increased crit chances into account during these calculations.

You then multiply your noncrit base healing amount by that number to find the rough estimate of how much you can expect that heal to be good for on average to avoid overhealing. For example, my Healing Trance buffed but not stimmed heals for 938 a tick, or 4908 average across four ticks after being multiplied by 1.308, without Conveyance. With Conveyance it heals for 5630 average across all four ticks. So if I was going to Trance someone with Conveyance, I'd optimally wait until they were about 6k health down before doing it to avoid overhealing. Even with lucky crits the chance of overhealing him and how much I do overheal is much lower than if I just launched into Trance at the sight of a dropping bar.

Gearing: Most of your equipment at endgame that's designed for healers specifically (Including set gear) is going to have a lot of power/alacrity enhancements. Personally, I ended up keeping the alacrity enhancements in two of my pieces and dropping the rest for crit/surge and power/surge enhancements (The latter of which comes from Columni Smuggler gloves.).

I ended up retaining about 5% alacrity. The reason for dropping alacrity is that our resource is now limited like it wasn't before, having fatter heals and more/better crits will slow down our healing pace without necessarily harming our throughput that badly, which in turn will allow for native Force regeneration to play a slightly heavier role in a typical Operations boss fight that we used to cover up with Resplendence abuse. The other reason being that our emergency burst heal is now Force Armor which is and always has been instant. We're not really what you go looking for if you're looking for massive burst healing single-target. Our healing is more AoE-centric and sustained, especially while min/maxing our resource.

That being said, striking a somewhat even balance between all three of Crit, Surge, and Alacrity with Power everywhere else would be a fair tradeoff, as this way you avoid hitting Diminishing Returns on your ratings for which it may apply.

Additionally, for Columni (and Rakata) tier gear, the Armorings for a specific slot are interchangeable without disrupting the set bonus, and because the daily lockout has been removed from Hard Mode Flashpoints, you have more flexibility in gearing yourself. Personally, I'd switch any Force User armorings with Resolve ones for the same slot (By getting both the Force Mystic and Force Master piece for a given slot and mixing/matching the best combinations of components), and also work on replacing one piece of either your Head, Chest, or Legs slot with an Augmented Custom-quality crafted piece, as well as your light saber/vibrosword. You don't necessarily need to swap out the Mods for the ones with the highest willpower, as the amount of power or crit on the lower Willpower ones is enough to compensate, as long as you're not hitting DR on Crit.

When you start getting Campaign gear, you can replace every one of them with the Custom piece of your choice, including augment slots on your Chest, Head, and Leg slots as well as potentially your wrists/belt (If you're a Synthweaver), and accessories. The only reason we don't do this with Columni/Rakata equipment is primarily because the new mechanic of set bonuses being grandfathered over to the Custom piece with the armoring only applies to Tier 2.1 equipment and beyond.

Stat priority is Willpower over Endurance in terms of primary stats, and Power > Crit/Surge > Alacrity on the secondaries.

Changelog:
  • 4/23/12 Found a discrepancy in my Triage priority thanks to Aurojiin.
  • 4/24/12 Added notes/clarifications about the build (Aurojiin, Gruddy) and Consumption/Noble Sacrifice always being a net gain in force (Daellia). Added section on Campaign gear. Fixed some of my custom Englishin' on some *****.
  • 4/26/12 Finally caved on the Telekinetic Defense thing, including a low crit and a high crit build. Stopped being a moron about the wording on the Triage section, resulting in a significant amount of deep cleansing thereof.
  • 4/27/12 Dropped minimum number of damaged targets for Salvation/Revivification down to 2 instead of 3 due to finally getting around to working out the math on its HPF under Conveyance. (XtremJedi )
  • 4/29/12 Adding notes about Benevolence usage and overhealing. (schmidtyfi)

That's about it. Feel free to comment on and/or criticize my work, and if you point something out that can be blatantly improved upon, I'm not too big for my britches to edit it in while giving you proper credit for making it better.

Onager
04.23.2012 , 02:40 PM | #2
Reserving for specific boss healing tactics!
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

Aquawar
04.23.2012 , 03:40 PM | #3
Great break down, a lot of people seem to fail at the NS game. Just an added side note for PVP, do not bother unless you have Guard and a good team to back you up. With no one to guard you, you are just going to get frustrated and waffle stomped.

Onager
04.23.2012 , 04:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aquawar View Post
Great break down, a lot of people seem to fail at the NS game. Just an added side note for PVP, do not bother unless you have Guard and a good team to back you up. With no one to guard you, you are just going to get frustrated and waffle stomped.
Thx man. Yeah I think what you just said pretty much applies to all healers in the current state of the game in PVP.

Also woot, instasticky!
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]

Aurojiin
04.23.2012 , 06:21 PM | #5
"uncomfortable" would be a mild representation of how I feel about 1/2 in Telekinetic Defense. Our bubble is reasonably efficient and has considerable utility in a variety of circumstance; 10% extra absorption is nothing to sneeze at.

The one thing that I'm not entirely sure about is this line, for "Yellow Alert": "If your health is below 80% and your force is above 75%, Deliverance." Healing Trance heals more per force point than Deliverance even if Deliverance has Conveyance and HT does not. Obviously Deliverance provides much higher healing per second, but if you're a situation that I would describe as yellow alert, efficiency seems more important. I only really consider Deliverance when HT is on cooldown, or when I need to drop a healing bomb on a single target, so to speak.

I would also say that in certain circumstances, one shouldn't be afraid to drop Salvation even without the requisite 4+ targets. If you're in, say, a specific boss phase where you know the tank will be taking a considerable amount of damage, pre-dropping Salvation under him to provide a buffer while you cast your strongest single-target rotation can do a lot to counter our lack of burst healing ability (since the changes to Conveyance).

Onager
04.23.2012 , 10:03 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
"uncomfortable" would be a mild representation of how I feel about 1/2 in Telekinetic Defense. Our bubble is reasonably efficient and has considerable utility in a variety of circumstance; 10% extra absorption is nothing to sneeze at.

The one thing that I'm not entirely sure about is this line, for "Yellow Alert": "If your health is below 80% and your force is above 75%, Deliverance." Healing Trance heals more per force point than Deliverance even if Deliverance has Conveyance and HT does not. Obviously Deliverance provides much higher healing per second, but if you're a situation that I would describe as yellow alert, efficiency seems more important. I only really consider Deliverance when HT is on cooldown, or when I need to drop a healing bomb on a single target, so to speak.

I would also say that in certain circumstances, one shouldn't be afraid to drop Salvation even without the requisite 4+ targets. If you're in, say, a specific boss phase where you know the tank will be taking a considerable amount of damage, pre-dropping Salvation under him to provide a buffer while you cast your strongest single-target rotation can do a lot to counter our lack of burst healing ability (since the changes to Conveyance).
Excellent points, thanks.

Using my own character as the template, I have just under 40% crit chance and 77% multiplier when raid buffed.

Healing Trance costs 37 force and casts over 2.85 seconds. So under Conveyance:
65% chance for me to crit, for 177% of its original heal of 938 base, 1664 on a crit (On my pet, which has no incoming bonus), for an overall bonus of 150.05% of base, 1412 average a tick x4 equals 5647 total over 2.85 seconds, for 1981 heal per second, 153 heal per force.

Without conveyance: 1227 average, x4 ticks is 4908, 1722 HPS, 133 HPF

Deliverance under Conveyance costs 34 force and casts over 2.37 seconds.
3029-3174 base, 5361-5618 crit, 40% chance to crit so 130.08% of base which averages out to 4057 over 2.37 seconds for 1711 heal per second, 119 heal per force.

Without Conveyance costs 51 force instead, 1711 HPS, 80 HPF

So yeah, it's conclusive, except when under the effects of Force Potency, Healing Trance is a better use of Conveyance than Deliverance. You're right, I'm wrong, gonna change the guide. They may scale slightly differently with gear upgrades but I don't think those differences would ever cause Deliverance to overtake Trance as the best heal to cast when under Conveyance.

In my defense that section of the guide was basically written before 1.2 and I hadn't worked out the math on how well it had stood the test of time afterwards, I assumed the main change was no more double dipping Conveyances on Deliverance, I should've put some more time into that. I greatly appreciate you finding that for me, though!

As for whether or not to take the points out of Telekinetic Defense to make the points for 2/2 Valiance, like I said that's totally up to personal taste, that extra point can come from virtually anywhere and the build itself is otherwise completely intact. I took the idea for that from some theorycrafting that was going on over on the Sorc forum. Most sources seemed to agree that Pain Bearer and Wisdom were pretty significant in conjunction with Valiance to mitigate the extra health lost to NS.

As for Salvation use, it's really easy to get 3 targets that are taking damage. Like, the tank and two Sage healers, all 3 are guaranteed to be taking damage at all times, so feel free to throw it down on cooldown.

I should run the HPS and HPF of Salvation on 1, 2, 3 etc targets.

Aurojiin
04.23.2012 , 10:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
As for Salvation use, it's really easy to get 3 targets that are taking damage. Like, the tank and two Sage healers, all 3 are guaranteed to be taking damage at all times, so feel free to throw it down on cooldown.

I should run the HPS and HPF of Salvation on 1, 2, 3 etc targets.
Very true. My point was more a reference to my own experience; for a while, I became locked in this mentality of never dropping Salvation unless I had at least four targets. That being said, even when not mathematically the most efficient choice it still has functional applications. As always, YMMV.

Only other note is that, sadly, set bonuses are not transferable with armourings on tier 1 gear, only on the new tier 2 (Campaign) gear

For reference, here is my spec. You'll note I have Pain Bearer at only 1/2. In general I'm just a big fan of passive buff talents, so I weigh the trade-off between Valiance and Pain Bearer. Let's say you're a Rakata-geared Seer, and for argument's sake you have 18k health.

NS with 1/2 Valiance = 2,340 health lost
NS with 2/2 Valiance = 1,980 health lost

So a 360 health difference. So over the average time from one NS to the next, you'd have to receive at least 9,000 in base incoming healing for Pain Bearer to pull ahead. As always, the disclaimer stands that I could be missing something quite obvious, or just plain old doin' it wrong.

If tactics such as standing in Salvation are actually resulting in you overhealing your losses, though, you could certainly pull points from Valiance.

Onager
04.23.2012 , 11:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Very true. My point was more a reference to my own experience; for a while, I became locked in this mentality of never dropping Salvation unless I had at least four targets. That being said, even when not mathematically the most efficient choice it still has functional applications. As always, YMMV.
Yargh. I always sought to stick Salvation with 3 targets, however if your force is high there's no problem being deliberately inefficient, such as when you're soloing the Assassin in the Duel of the Fates, keeping up Rejuv and Bubble and Healing Trancing occasionally is enough healing to burn the guy down before he can do the same to you. There's also times when soloing heroics where you keep Qyzen up with double hots (Rejuv and Salv) and bubble and just DPS otherwise.

Quote:
Only other note is that, sadly, set bonuses are not transferable with armourings on tier 1 gear, only on the new tier 2 (Campaign) gear
This irks me. If they're going to do this they should unlink armorings from specific slots, since they don't carry the set boni with them.

Quote:
For reference, here is my spec. You'll note I have Pain Bearer at only 1/2. In generally I'm just a big fan of passive buff talents, so I weigh the trade-off between Valiance and Pain Bearer. Let's say you're a Rakata-geared Seer, and for argument's sake you have 18k health.

NS with 1/2 Valiance = 2,340 health lost
NS with 2/2 Valiance = 1,980 health lost

So a 360 health difference. So over the average time from one NS to the next, you'd have to receive at least 9,000 in base incoming healing for Pain Bearer to pull ahead. As always, the disclaimer stands that I could be missing something quite obvious, or just plain old doin' it wrong.

If tactics such as standing in Salvation are actually resulting in you overhealing your losses, though, you could certainly pull points from Valiance.
I think painbearer is more important than Valiance point for point, you're going to be taking healing for the whole fight, no matter where the damage (or healing) came from, and 4% healing income per point that applies globally to every source to me trumps spending 2% less per point on Noble Sac. Valiance only helps when you're using Noble Sac, Painbearer helps with every point healed from every source of damage including but not limited to Noble Sac, and every source of healing including fun stuff like Zen and Slow Release Medpack. See my logic? If those are your choices, IMO the clear choice is to keep 2/2 Painbearer and go 1/2 Valiance. In my case, I wanted both :3. Again, I might have to do some maffs but in this particular instance I think I'm right.

Aurojiin
04.24.2012 , 02:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
I think painbearer is more important than Valiance point for point, you're going to be taking healing for the whole fight, no matter where the damage (or healing) came from, and 4% healing income per point that applies globally to every source to me trumps spending 2% less per point on Noble Sac. Valiance only helps when you're using Noble Sac, Painbearer helps with every point healed from every source of damage including but not limited to Noble Sac, and every source of healing including fun stuff like Zen and Slow Release Medpack. See my logic? If those are your choices, IMO the clear choice is to keep 2/2 Painbearer and go 1/2 Valiance. In my case, I wanted both :3. Again, I might have to do some maffs but in this particular instance I think I'm right.
I certainly understand your reasoning. Ultimately, though, I would argue that Pain Bearer vs Valiance comes down the specifics of the encounter.

If you're solo questing, Pain Bearer is undeniably superior, because virtually no fight will ever last long enough to deplete your force pool, and you can forgo NS entirely. Healing ops... I would say it depends on the mechanics. If there's a lot of raid-wide or random damage mechanics, Pain Bearer may well end up being superior. If it's tank n' spank, or just melee unfriendly (Bioware loves this approach), NS could well be your primary source of incoming damage. I suppose you could make the argument, though, that you could more easily forgo the benefit of Valiance because the cost of NS is always a known variable that you can manage.

Slipfeed
04.24.2012 , 05:13 AM | #10
I think the tactic most sage healers are going with to surmount the challenges presented by 1.2 is more like...

"Don't play broken ineffective class" and in some casses "Play different game".

Inb4 delete + warning and or ban.