Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shinarika - Shadow Breaker [Ultimate Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin Guide]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Shinarika - Shadow Breaker [Ultimate Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin Guide]

Makk
04.30.2012 , 10:15 AM | #111
Shin - on your Balance setup, where you are trading off (when compared to the other two specs) in order to get crit, about how much power are you running with? (assuming your augments are resolve augments on balance instead of power augments?)

MiaRB
04.30.2012 , 12:28 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by roestzwiebel View Post
For me, crit never had the highest priority, because our spec is so much around burst. Due to force regen, we can't "spam" things and hope they crit, we guarantee our crits with force potency and therefore these crits need to be high. This will happen with stacking power / surge (75% is enough).

2.5k is indeed a bit low, especially when you say, you don't get it very often. Currently, I get the 5k Medal in almost every warzone with project. Highest Crit so far 6,4k. I've never seen 6k+ Crits before 1.2, now they're not as rare as you might think
critstrike rate is very important. inf spec isnt about whats the biggest damage you can get in a single hit, or even in two hits. inf spec is about dealing alot of damage in a short window. anyone who thinks inf spec is just about big hits from project and breech when potency is up doesnt understand the spec.

dumping crit and acc for power will give you a ego boost and make for good highlight vids when you see big 5k+ hits with project and breech, but then you are done until potencty comes off CD. you need to be able to be effective even when you dont have potency charges up. project, breech and shadow strike all have built in crit damage bonuses, so the more you crit the better you are and the more you help your team kill fast. also, when project and breech crit you get critstrike bonus buff for your melee attacks, which makes CS do good damage as well as making spinning strike and shadow strike more effective.

also, should not discount the importance of accuracy.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Xinika
04.30.2012 , 12:37 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Makk View Post
Shin - on your Balance setup, where you are trading off (when compared to the other two specs) in order to get crit, about how much power are you running with? (assuming your augments are resolve augments on balance instead of power augments?)
My gearing for Balance is slightly more dated than my gearing for Infil/KC, but I run around 40% crit as Balance. I actually did not trade too much power because the BM FM pieces had high crit. Paired with the BM Stalker Implants, getting that crit was easy.

I would recommend Willpower augments regardless of any spec.
Assassin Representative
Aeonneta | Shinarika | Semjase
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

Snugglepie
04.30.2012 , 12:52 PM | #114
I know you say you like Infil but Balance is better. Currently I am Infil and the rest of my guild is Balance and I can beat all of them 1v1 (Duh) but Im wondering (I've seen all your videos) if you can give anymore advance tips on being Balance and how you set up your keybinds etc. Thanks!

Skolops
04.30.2012 , 12:59 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
critstrike rate is very important. inf spec isnt about whats the biggest damage you can get in a single hit, or even in two hits. inf spec is about dealing alot of damage in a short window. anyone who thinks inf spec is just about big hits from project and breech when potency is up doesnt understand the spec.

dumping crit and acc for power will give you a ego boost and make for good highlight vids when you see big 5k+ hits with project and breech, but then you are done until potencty comes off CD. you need to be able to be effective even when you dont have potency charges up. project, breech and shadow strike all have built in crit damage bonuses, so the more you crit the better you are and the more you help your team kill fast. also, when project and breech crit you get critstrike bonus buff for your melee attacks, which makes CS do good damage as well as making spinning strike and shadow strike more effective.

Agreed on crit.

Xinika
04.30.2012 , 01:26 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post

Why would you play a Burst spec like a DPS spec? If you want DPS then go Balance.
Assassin Representative
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

Xinika
04.30.2012 , 01:29 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Snugglepie View Post
I know you say you like Infil but Balance is better. Currently I am Infil and the rest of my guild is Balance and I can beat all of them 1v1 (Duh) but Im wondering (I've seen all your videos) if you can give anymore advance tips on being Balance and how you set up your keybinds etc. Thanks!
Sure, I'll get to that a little later tonight.
Assassin Representative
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

Skolops
04.30.2012 , 01:34 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Xinika View Post
Why would you play a Burst spec like a DPS spec? If you want DPS then go Balance.
Her point is that it is crit which allows those bursts to be any good.

Perhaps you're looking at only the huge burst you get from popping the adrenal, relic, force potency, and Battle Readiness (if you use it). Sure, I suppose if everything goes perfectly, an extra 200 power is going to make that singular burst much stronger.

The thing is, I consider it a burst everytime I can chain together a 2x Clairvoyant Strike Upheaval Project critical hit with a Force Breach. Putting these two together back to back critted can be an instant 8k damage. So what if I could get that same 8k out of the Project alone had I added more power instead of crit?

It seems to me to be the difference between wanting to get one giant burst every 2 minutes versus getting a slightly weaker burst of say, 70 - 80% of that strength every 30 seconds. The latter is far superior.

Xinika
04.30.2012 , 01:50 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Her point is that it is crit which allows those bursts to be any good.

Perhaps you're looking at only the huge burst you get from popping the adrenal, relic, force potency, and Battle Readiness (if you use it). Sure, I suppose if everything goes perfectly, an extra 200 power is going to make that singular burst much stronger.

The thing is, I consider it a burst everytime I can chain together a 2x Clairvoyant Strike Upheaval Project critical hit with a Force Breach. Putting these two together back to back critted can be an instant 8k damage. So what if I could get that same 8k out of the Project alone had I added more power instead of crit?

It seems to me to be the difference between wanting to get one giant burst every 2 minutes versus getting a slightly weaker burst of say, 70 - 80% of that strength every 30 seconds. The latter is far superior.
I think crit is far overvalued here. You're also missing the fact that even without critting, you are hitting consistently hard. Not to mention, even with low crit, I'm seemingly always critting even without CDs.

In PvP, as infil, you want to apply maximum damage to a target as quickly as possible. That target needs to be either dead or severely wounded.

Again, if you want to play a DPS-pressure spec... then go Balance...
It has a far better pressure upkeep than infiltration, even if you were critting on every hit as infil.
It's also more adaptable to situations and has no set rotation. So predicting a Balance's burst can actually be harder to comprehend than it's infil counterpart.
Assassin Representative
Guides - Videos - Action
WATCHMEN

MiaRB
04.30.2012 , 02:34 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Xinika View Post
because what matters is how fast your team can kill. this isnt a game where people can one or two shot, so being able to deal one or two big shots means little if you are pretty much usless until your big damage stuff comes off CD. effective single target PVP damage is measured by how much damage you can deal in a short amount of time, 9-12 seconds, and also how often you can do it. inf spec is much more effective in team pvp when you are not totally depending on potency charges to crit.

the more often a inf spec can crit, the more effective it is.
can't wait for this game to come out!