Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

Bhaers
04.26.2012 , 07:34 PM | #41
I loved trooper chapter 1, got my second big thrill after making my own first lightsabre as another class - hairs standing up on the back of my neck, heart swelling in pride - at the dénouement of Taris but the other stages were wonderful as well, the final act being rather spectacular.

General Garza makes me think of Katherine Janeway though, always a distracting thought when she speaks.

The consular story on the other hand made me cringe. It's bad, it's boring and it's not epic at all. Maybe it matches that you are a healer, but there was no real excitement in it, just mindless boring nothing.

Jedi Knight, as far as a twist, was pretty amazing. That one made my jaw drop.
An inflated sense of self-importance deflects us from the inner peace and happiness we seek and affects those around us negatively. - HH Dalai Lama

DeutschGamer
04.26.2012 , 07:54 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Bhaers View Post

The consular story on the other hand made me cringe. It's bad, it's boring and it's not epic at all. Maybe it matches that you are a healer, but there was no real excitement in it, just mindless boring nothing.
My stance on Consular is they made the class perfectly to what the character is designed to be; a diplomatic voice of reason with the mindset of helping others in a selfless manner. Act I and II reflect this perfectly in your task.

Its just that this kind of character is boring to most as they require more action and heroic feats, much more akin to the JK story. But for what Consular was designed for, they pulled it off well.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

XCantaloupeX
04.26.2012 , 08:40 PM | #43
Currently level 32 warrior and still loving it, im in the Taris i think right now.. But i have been playing a male human trooper level 12 and so far its not bad, i cant wait for the armor though. I also started a male smuggler and female jedi knight. (Level 5 on smuggler and 10 on knight). The jedi knight is pretty cool and like a previous post stated, it also gave me goose bumps when i got my light saber .. As for the smuggler, seemed like story was gonna be good but man do i hate the cover stuff. Why do you need to get into cover? It seems so stupid, do you get used to it? I just find it an annoyance.

CelticMarauder
04.26.2012 , 09:15 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by XCantaloupeX View Post
Currently level 32 warrior and still loving it, im in the Taris i think right now.. But i have been playing a male human trooper level 12 and so far its not bad, i cant wait for the armor though. I also started a male smuggler and female jedi knight. (Level 5 on smuggler and 10 on knight). The jedi knight is pretty cool and like a previous post stated, it also gave me goose bumps when i got my light saber .. As for the smuggler, seemed like story was gonna be good but man do i hate the cover stuff. Why do you need to get into cover? It seems so stupid, do you get used to it? I just find it an annoyance.
If you really want to be a Smuggler, but don't want to use cover, choose Scoundrel as your AC. Depending on your tree, you can either be a stealth-based mdps (scrapper), a healer (sawbones), or a complex close/midranged dps (dirty fighting). None of those require you to use the cover system.
Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers. Target Everyone! SOMEBODY FIRE! - The Operative
Life's full of disappointments roly-poly. - Smuggler to a hutt.
We have intelligence that suggests that Hitler is plotting with the Legion of Doom to assassinate Jesus...using the lake as a base. - Lois Griffin

J-Slice
04.26.2012 , 10:11 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by XCantaloupeX View Post
I have done some research and heard that the trooper story is just a drag. I am on Chapter 2 of Sith Warrior and I am loving it! Very interesting and the end of Chapter 1 was very enjoyable , It made me feel like a true sith! I played a marauder and i very much loved the dps gameplay but I am thinking of being tank or healer next, but I may still do DPS.

For my second character I am thinking of a trooper, Councilar, or Smuggler.

Trooper- I am thinking it would be cool to maybe be a Military tank with heavy armor, but i heard very bad things about the story.. My questions for Trooper are:
- Is story good?
- Is playing the class fun? Please state if your a vanguard or a commando.
- How is dialogue?
- How is it compared to smuggler story/gameplay and councilar story/gameplay?

Smuggler- I would most likely be a scoundral because I HATE the cover system.
- Is story good?
- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.
- How is healing?
- How is it compared to Trooper story/gameplay and Councilar story/gameplay
- Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?
-How is gameplay?

Councilar- Probably gonna heal here too because being a shadow doesnt really seem to be my thing and it seems like fun healing.
- Once again how is story?
- does leveling as a councilar healer feel boring?
- How does it compare to Trooper story/gameplay and Smuggler story/gameplay

I do not have time to play all the classes so please no comments like "play them all".... And please only answers from people with experience from atleast one class
Trooper story is not boring at all. I absolutely loved it. Although to tell you the truth, IMO, the Imperial Agent storyline is the best. Who doesn't want to be a Secret Police officer that can illicit fear just by saying :" I'm from Imperial Intelligence." In the empire, when you hear that phrase spoken to you, you know you're life is about to get really, really hard. And short.
Vorinth Candelebra, Sith Sorcerer (Madness)
The Harbinger
For the Empire!

ScarletBlaze
04.26.2012 , 10:26 PM | #46
I''ve only played the Consular and for me i enjoy the story. Yes I've heard that some say it is boring but not to me. I enjoy it.

I would say it would depend on how you want to play it. I more into roleplaying and also my back story was done prior to playing the game so that might have something to do with it. I would say it depends on how you play your character.

If you use the story as a backdrop to your own personal story then I doubt any class would be boring.

As far as the game play/leveling I can ony tell you how a Shadow plays as that is my advance class and for the most part I been able to handle most elites.

Good luck it whichever one you play.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: A Time for Renewal[ https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/sK3jz376Zu8

LordTaral
04.27.2012 , 02:06 AM | #47
It is all just opinions. I only just started making characters on the Republic side, but I did dabble with them in the beta. I found the Trooper to be the most exciting, though it is probably because I hate Jedi so much.

But I did have fun with my Jedi in beta. Like I said, opinions. I have enjoyed all the characters I made so far. Just need to start a smuggler. I heard they were quite boring, yet a friend is playing that class and likes it. I will see for myself.

I'd say, just try it out for yourself, if you don't like it, stop playing it. Hope this helps.

Inzuher
04.27.2012 , 02:37 AM | #48
If you go Consular I would advise you to pick a female. The reason for this is that in my opinion the male voice acting is REALLY bad; it gives the "no emotion" sentence of the jedi code a whole new meaning... It's so bad that I deleted my male consular after Corescant and rolled a female from level 1, and I must say it's far more enjoyable, since she doesn't sound like a robot.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

Sotof
04.27.2012 , 02:48 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
My stance on Consular is they made the class perfectly to what the character is designed to be; a diplomatic voice of reason with the mindset of helping others in a selfless manner. Act I and II reflect this perfectly in your task.

Its just that this kind of character is boring to most as they require more action and heroic feats, much more akin to the JK story. But for what Consular was designed for, they pulled it off well.
Yup. Personally I love it.
My name is not Bob.

Crito
04.27.2012 , 09:55 AM | #50
I tried the trooper story up to the end of chapter one, but the thing that killed it for me was the voice acting and script. It's just awful, more like some straight to video, low budget action movie than Star Wars. Rather than sounding like a soldier, you end up sounding like some meat head with a testosterone imbalance.
"Entitlement" - The new Godwinism