Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Most complex class?


Clonedzero's Avatar


Clonedzero
04.22.2012 , 07:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
If this is true why are they the most numerous class when I do /who? Seem to be more of them that sages/sorcs and BHs now. I find it hard to beleive they are all pro gamers with razer nagas, $200 gaming keyboards, and can use 30+ keybinds like its second nature.
because, most sentinels and maras are pretty damn terrible if im being honest. anytime theres an annoying person in general chat, or something running off on their on in a WZ and not helping. its usually a nooby sent/mara.

obviously not all of them are like this, ive grouped with a bunch of great ones. its just the class is so popular it attracts really bad players as well.

Rizael's Avatar


Rizael
04.22.2012 , 07:33 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by GhoXen View Post
Heh, no. Only people who have never played Marauder or only played Marauder can say that. What you say is completely delusional.

Anyone who played another class then Mara/Sent would immediately realise just how much more complex the class is. My first character was a Commando, and that class was a lot less challenging than the Mara I'm playing now.
I dunno, I find my marauder a lot easier to play than my operative as there is no way to energy starve yourself with a marauder(for an extended period of time) you simply cannot "do wrong". The hardest thing about the class is when to pop undying rage, then pot, then berserk and dot up (anni). It is not even difficult because you have an ability that gives you 6 rage on hit, bleeds can proc rage, etc etc. Rage is now akin to my jug's tree which is pretty much force crush --- charge -- smash, then choke -- obliterate -- smash, followed shortly by force crush --- force push --- charge--- smash. I can't speak to carnage as I have never spec'd there, but it does not look any more difficult than any other tree in the marauders arsenal. DPS operatives have pretty much identical cool downs to wait upon, limited energy on a tiered regen rate, as well at TA points to juggle.

I will agree however that the marauder is definitely more difficult to play than a commando (dps), as it is only a 5 button class, but this class also has a less forgiving resource than a marauder does as well, and less defensive cool downs. I think what you were meaning to say is "my class has more buttons" but that does not make the class harder to play.

LightAndShade's Avatar


LightAndShade
04.22.2012 , 10:42 PM | #13
Its Interesting. When i tried the beta at the star I played Marauder for fun and wanted to see how they'd designed the lightsaber mechanics. I've never played WoW and similar before so I was really learning from scratch and I found it really hard (only got to level 18 and PvE was ok but PvP I got smashed).
When the game went live I played a Sniper and I can say confidently that IF you are focused Snipers/Slingers become the most complex class in the game, if not, you can blaze away, get high numbers and to some extent chill out.
After I got skilled and took it to 50 and geared it I made a Healing Sage because I was waiting for the transfers to Aus servers, plus I had no guild to premade with and the republics dominated empire in public WZs.
That was difficult for me at first because I had never healed before but quickly I learnt to play and Pre-1.2 I can safely say (in under 50 pvp only) I was almost unbeatable. I could heal myself and/or teammates and still defeat enemies on my own. I fully stacked expertise gear (lvl 42 & 46) which helped a lot too.
After the huge healing nerfs of 1.2, I decided to go back to a Sentinel still waiting to xfer my Sniper.
This time (Sents/Marauders weren't buffed in the Anni/watchman spec aside from general buffs to Master Strike etc) I had improved a lot and I dominate with my level 2X Sentinel. I don't think it is possibly the most complex DPS class overall (watchman spec only) but Snipers are more complex when they get focused and have to react.
Interestingly, since the healing nerfs I NOW think healing on a Sage (and possibly a BH/Trooper, haven't played it before) is the most complex in terms of energy management healing output.

/Life Story

CrunkShizzle's Avatar


CrunkShizzle
04.22.2012 , 11:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Deadbatery View Post
Mara/Sent is no harder to play than any other class, the only people who say otherwise are the Mara/Sent players
this game is hard

lulz

Uvirith's Avatar


Uvirith
04.23.2012 , 12:04 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CrunkShizzle View Post
this game is hard

lulz
Harder than any actual mmo, in terms of apm.

OnTopic:
Juggernaut-Tank -> Marauder -> Nonhealingoperative in my opinion.
Powertech/Sorcerer are fairly easy to play, but thats okay too.
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

Tiresias's Avatar


Tiresias
04.23.2012 , 12:09 AM | #16
Sentinel/Marauder is definitely the most complex class in the game in terms of the skill floor. This is especially true f they are running the DoT spec (Watchman/Annihilation), which is quite possibly the most difficult spec in the game to play optimally.

None of this was helped by the changes in patch 1.2, which made Watchman/Annihilation harder to play by nerfing the talent that used to reduce the cost of Force Sweep/Smash (leaving fewer options to let a 2-stack Overload Saber/Deadly Saber tick twice) and by buffing Master Strike/Ravage to the point where is necessary to use it to maximize DPS.

Here's the considerations for a Watchman Sentinel:

-Roll stacks of Overload Saber perfectly so that they last longer than the cooldown. This requires the use of non-melee abilities woven between melee abilities or the stacks will build too quickly.
-Use Cauterize every time it's off cooldown as it's the best Damage/Force attack in the arsenal. Don't forget that there are two abilities that have a random chance to reset the cooldown.
-Use Zen the instant it hits 30 stacks.
-Use Merciless Slash the instant it comes off cooldown.
-Use Master Strike as often as possible without ruining the DoT rotation.
-Interrupt.
-CC Droids.
-Use Awe, Pacify, and Force Stasis whenever possible to reduce damage on the tank.
-Be ready with Inspiration when the burn phase arrives.
-Use Rebuke, Blade Ward, Force Camouflage, and Guarded by the Force to reduce incoming damage.

And they have to do that while operating in melee range and dealing with all the hazards such positioning entails.

Playing the class is like playing a piano.

Hizoka's Avatar


Hizoka
04.23.2012 , 12:23 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dabrixmgp View Post
If this is true why are they the most numerous class when I do /who? Seem to be more of them that sages/sorcs and BHs now. I find it hard to beleive they are all pro gamers with razer nagas, $200 gaming keyboards, and can use 30+ keybinds like its second nature.
cause there are 2846285673249562 bad ones for every good one.

Squatdog_nz's Avatar


Squatdog_nz
04.23.2012 , 12:24 AM | #18
Marauders take a degree of skill to play well, but there has been a massive explosion in numbers solely because they were identified as the latest imbalanced FotM class leading up to 1.2

Quote: Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Because it's a star wars game and everyone wants to be Luke or Vader, Knights and Warriors have been the most popular since day one of the game.
Except that Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader were single-sabre Knights and Warriors, while Marauders dual-wield like ummmmmm....uhhhhhhhhhhh....ummmmmmmmmm....Count Dookie?

Squatdog_nz's Avatar


Squatdog_nz
04.23.2012 , 12:46 AM | #19
As someone who has PVP'd extensively with an Operative, Juggernaut and now a Sniper, I would have to say that Snipers are by far the most challenging to play well.

You have to juggle a large number of CCs while shifting in and out of Cover and maintaining range. Most Snipers are terrible, though

Dabrixmgp's Avatar


Dabrixmgp
04.23.2012 , 01:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Hizoka View Post
cause there are 2846285673249562 bad ones for every good one.
who plays a game just to be bad. Thats just absurd. Why would you purposely pick a class you are terrible at? I mean do some people actually enjoy being bad....Wait nm having played WoW for 5 years I guess some players actually do try and enjoy being the worst players in the world.