Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Quintan View Post
What? did I miss something? you're not talking about the AP transfers are you?
The one where Stephen Reid says is only the beginning and will propagate through for everyone according to the orderly, non-server-crashing plan? Yes, I am.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Rainsfords
04.21.2012 , 05:37 PM | #12
The game is in decline because the Dev's don't seem to test anything before putting it up, continue to fail to meet expectations and have been incredibly sloppy with any sort of change (10% nerfs are more like 20%+ nerfs on live, never any comment from dev's on the specific issues, only talking about "metrics").

They said in an interview that they balanced based around "6 of us sitting around a table talking about what doesn't feel right. We make changes and do internal testing then go off that". One of them laughed about "doing hundreds of duels against each other". It's just mind-boggling that this is how the most expensive MMO in history is being run.

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:44 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Rainsfords View Post
The game is in decline because the Dev's don't seem to test anything before putting it up, continue to fail to meet expectations and have been incredibly sloppy with any sort of change (10% nerfs are more like 20%+ nerfs on live, never any comment from dev's on the specific issues, only talking about "metrics").

They said in an interview that they balanced based around "6 of us sitting around a table talking about what doesn't feel right. We make changes and do internal testing then go off that". One of them laughed about "doing hundreds of duels against each other". It's just mind-boggling that this is how the most expensive MMO in history is being run.
Ok, where is this proof that the game is in decline? I keep hearing it, but all I see are journalists who didn't do their homework, who misinterpreted data fro TORdata.net, and a spokesperson from BioWare (you know, the horse's mouth?) who, just two days ago, said that subs are NOT declining, and we all know that if they were declining, BioWare would stay silent instead of "lying"...
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

Quintan
04.21.2012 , 05:46 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
The one where Stephen Reid says is only the beginning and will propagate through for everyone according to the orderly, non-server-crashing plan? Yes, I am.
I can't find that quote anywhere but I'll take your word for it or maybe you can shoot me a link. I hope you're right and they work something out soon, I know I was a goner but I respect that they gave every one a free month so I'm giving the game another shot. But they have to do something, I can put up with bugs but 26 people on the fleet on a Saturday night is hard to get over.

Tyraelium
04.21.2012 , 05:47 PM | #15
REPOST:
Regarding subscription counts:

I (like thousands of others) have unsubbed, but my subscription is still considered active. When you hear a report of "current subs", we are still included in that count because our gametime has not run out yet. With the free month given to everybody with a Lv50/Legacy 6, you can bet that they are counting those numbers as well. Also, many players have reached Lv50, or tried the game while subbed under the 3months+ plan, and simply do not log on anymore (because the endgame is lacking), or are waiting for their gametime to run out to unsub. Furthermore, with the game now being released in EU and Asia Pacific, they are undoubtedly gaining subscription counts in those regions, but the NA (and EU somewhat) servers have dwindling populations as players leave or migrate to their now available region.

So you can see how BioWare/EA can skew subscription counts to include all of these, even though they clearly mean that people are NOT logging on as frequently anymore, and most have given SWTOR a try and decided to move on.

You can sit there and be optimistic, almost delusional about this, but the fact is that when you log onto servers even during primetime, the number of active players is a fraction of what it was, and on many servers you simply cannot even start a Warzone or Operation. This kind of stagnation only leads to even more people quitting the game. Yes, we can reroll and start over (even though they just released this Legacy feature), but if I am going to start from Lv1, I'm going to do it on another game with a company that has better planning and foresight than this one.

And yes, as long as I have gametime, I can post here, not because I like to "whine", but I have hopes for this game to succeed, and I feel like the developers and other players need hear my opinion, lost in a sea of the 'yes-man fanboism' that is so persistent here. I love the Star Wars franchise, I love the MMO genre, but sadly I do not love the way the developers are handling this game.
Rank 80 Sith Assassin Darkness
The Crucible Pits
Antyrael

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 06:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyraelium View Post
You can sit there and be optimistic, almost delusional about this, but the fact is that when you log onto servers even during primetime, the number of active players is a fraction of what it was, and on many servers you simply cannot even start a Warzone or Operation.
Correction: The number of concurrent players is a fraction of what it was. And that happens in every single MMO ever launched. All of them. It's the typical MMO "launch surge/dropoff".

Why are we acting like this is a new thing? Why are we acting like the sky is falling when this is normal, even expected? Why?

Cerion
04.21.2012 , 06:15 PM | #17
Correction: The number of concurrent players is a fraction of what it was. And that happens in every single MMO ever launched. All of them. It's the typical MMO "launch surge/dropoff".

Why are we acting like this is a new thing? Why are we acting like the sky is falling when this is normal, even expected? Why?
I've reached the conclusion that some people simply aren't intellectually capable of differentiating between subscription number and concurrent player numbers, and how that makes itself apparent on server status.

I remember when I first began studying differential calculus...I simply didn't 'get it'. Try as I might, something didn't click in my brain. Then one day, the proverbial light bulb came on, and I understood calculus. It clicked in my brain.
Perhaps someday these people will have a light bulb moment and understand the difference between subscription and concurrent numbers. The good news is that it's not as difficult to understand as Calculus. The bad news is that they need to want to understand, which they don't seem interested in.
Good will always triumph because Evil is lazy.

Dezzi
04.21.2012 , 07:14 PM | #18
You're totally lost. The server transfer system that they are currently executing (thus no longer a "plan") has been planned since before the game even launched. They even mentioned during beta that this is how they were going to deal with this typical MMO "launch surge/dropoff" that every MMO in existence has experienced. All of them.

Seriously, people, this is nothing new, so stop acting like it is something new and some sort of mystical indication that the sky is falling. Sensationalist much?
Their plan from before launch? The one that took them four months to get running, putting us past the point of no return for a lot of players?

What you don't seem to understand is that they're late to the table. They're late. I'm sure you've read the forums because you're already wearing your defense force badge; you should know by now that their planned and "soon" to be implemented server transfers will only address the surface of the issue. It's nothing but a symptom reliever.

Put very simply for you, BioWare dragged their feet on this.
Ebon Hawk (RP)
Peace | Knowledge | Serenity | the Force
I'm a Jedi because the galaxy needs Jedi.

evildestroyer
04.21.2012 , 07:24 PM | #19
Ok, where is this proof that the game is in decline? I keep hearing it, but all I see are journalists who didn't do their homework, who misinterpreted data fro TORdata.net, and a spokesperson from BioWare (you know, the horse's mouth?) who, just two days ago, said that subs are NOT declining, and we all know that if they were declining, BioWare would stay silent instead of "lying"...
What more proof you do need, its a fact server pops are decreasing, Just look at server status there are way more light and standard servers than last month or two months ago. You must be blind and playing on one of the 5 high pop servers to miss that fact.

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 07:25 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi View Post
Their plan from before launch? The one that took them four months to get running, putting us past the point of no return for a lot of players?

What you don't seem to understand is that they're late to the table. They're late. I'm sure you've read the forums because you're already wearing your defense force badge; you should know by now that their planned and "soon" to be implemented server transfers will only address the surface of the issue. It's nothing but a symptom reliever.

Put very simply for you, BioWare dragged their feet on this.
Fine. The sky is falling, Chicken Little.