Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The end of the arguement. Is SWTOR in decline? Can it be saved?

Sheff
04.16.2012 , 09:35 AM | #1
Just saw this on CVG.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...lt-in-layoffs/

"and Star Wars: The Old Republic, which received similar treatment and has supposedly already seen subscription numbers decline, are big contributing factors to the cuts."

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/excl...500-employees/
This one is a bit more in depth.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012...ort-unit-sales
This seems to be more focused on the stock from EA and seems to lean both ways.

It seems EA have had a poor financial year due to BF3 and SWTOR.

I have found this on several other sites, it seems to be reliable.

I don't want to start a flame war or an "I told you so" thread. Instead, I was wondering what people would like to see to maybe improve the player base.
I am one of the people that is on the fence, I have around 90 days or so left on my sub but am, as of yet, not convinced to renew it.
Following the new "world event" (which I though was good mostly) maybe this is the way forward?
So lets hear it, what would it take (for those that aren't sure or maybe have already cancelled) to bring you back?
For those that are already commited, what more things would you like improved or added?

Lets try and keep it on track and pleasant ok?

Ok, weigh in.
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) | 16GB Team Xtreem LV DDR3 2600 Quad-Channel CL10 | Gigabyte Z77-G1-Sniper 3 Intel Z77 | 2 x Gigabyte GTX 680's SOC SLI | Z906 Logitech Optical Speakers 5.1 | Benq 120mhz Monitor 1920x1080 | Recon 3D Fatality Series Sound Card (4 cores) | Corsair 1200W PSU | 512GB Crucial SSD | 2TB Seagate SATA 3 HDD |

Zilrota
04.21.2012 , 04:47 PM | #2
Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss the topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things on mind when responding:
  1. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  2. Please stay on topic. Discussion should center around Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and not other games.
  3. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  4. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  5. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

AlyxDinas
04.21.2012 , 05:10 PM | #3
Decline is relative. EA's stated subscription goal for this game, in terms of generating profit, is currently being exceeded by a large margin. Drop offs in numbers might be partly attributable to the game and its design but can also be said to be expected, given the apparent weakness of the "traditional" MMO model in today's market. Add in competing titles, and a drop is not not only certain but pretty much natural.

But the effect of this is being overstated. Even if the subscription level dropped significantly below Creutz/Cowen's esitmate, the game would retain profitable. There's a tendency in this business (be it among professionals or consumers) to see any shift in numbers as irrevocably damaging but more often than not, this is not really the case.

In terms of "decline", content wise? The game is far too young to make proscriptive statements.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Lord_Ravenhurst
04.21.2012 , 05:11 PM | #4
Actually gamers are really, really lucky that GW2 and Secret World are coming out right now. Not so much luck for BW though. Pre-ordered both, and I believe these titles will be entertaining enough so I won't even notice the year or two it will take until TOR becomes great, space exploration and all.. TSW is an EA title anyway so they simply get my money from another source. I'll happily resubscribe when TOR has evolved to something more SWG like. If it doesn't then I'll still have TSW and GW2.

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Dezzi
Why are you shouting?

I said it once. And having a plan for a problem is not the same as fixing the problem. I'm not sure if that's a distinction you're capable of making, but... well there it is.
Sorry if it seems like I'm shouting, but even this response shows you completely missed the point. It's not just a "plan" anymore as it is currently being executed.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:21 PM | #6
So his second-hand sources are somehow less valuable than your second-hand sources. Oh, okay. I see how this thread works now.
And now you've totally read something in my post that I didn't even remotely say. How about just taking my post at face value instead of attempting to poorly read between the lines?

All I'm saying is that if he goes into GW2 without the unrealistic expectations that he had for this game, he won't be... no can't be disappointed.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:24 PM | #7
The problem is here, today. Now. Not tomorrow. My point is that they've spent way too much time trying to design a solution to a problem they should have already planned for.

We on the same page now?
You're totally lost. The server transfer system that they are currently executing (thus no longer a "plan") has been planned since before the game even launched. They even mentioned during beta that this is how they were going to deal with this typical MMO "launch surge/dropoff" that every MMO in existence has experienced. All of them.

Seriously, people, this is nothing new, so stop acting like it is something new and some sort of mystical indication that the sky is falling. Sensationalist much?

Quintan
04.21.2012 , 05:26 PM | #8
If there isn't some server transfer/merge by the end of the free month there will be a significant exodus from this game.

JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 05:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Quintan View Post
If there isn't some server transfer/merge by the end of the free month there will be a significant exodus from this game.
Well, then, good news! It's already started before the free month!

Quintan
04.21.2012 , 05:32 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
Well, then, good news! It's already started before the free month!
What? did I miss something? you're not talking about the AP transfers are you?