Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't I kill/dump my companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why can't I kill/dump my companions?

Khalhazar
04.21.2012 , 02:54 PM | #1
I would gladly have only 5 companions (including the robot) for the pleasure of killing the Warrior companion who particularly deserves it, or dumping the repugnant BH companion. From an RP perspective, why am I unable to do that? Is there a compelling story reason (besides dialogue) for having to keep all companions?

Please understand, I am not whining or demanding anything --- it's just that for a game so (rightfully) proud of its story-driven play, I've found my companion-related options to be woefully narrow. Am I the only one?

Jandi
04.21.2012 , 03:16 PM | #2
Because there is no quickload in MMO's, stupid people would choose to kill them "for the lolz" and then whine that they lost a companion that they now want to use. The crying would be endless. In short, idiot-proofing. I believe you were able to at one point, the conversations are still there. Like there is an option to let Ashara die or kill Quinn. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Clonedzero
04.21.2012 , 03:58 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Because there is no quickload in MMO's, stupid people would choose to kill them "for the lolz" and then whine that they lost a companion that they now want to use. The crying would be endless. In short, idiot-proofing. I believe you were able to at one point, the conversations are still there. Like there is an option to let Ashara die or kill Quinn. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to.
yup, exactly this. idiot proofing.

"waaah, i killed my healer companion cus i was moody that day, but now i dont have a healer companion, *** BIOWARE!!!!!1111111!!!!"

Captain_Zone
04.21.2012 , 04:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
I'd still like the option available... Especially for Skadge (BH companion) since he's completely useless.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Khalhazar
04.21.2012 , 05:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I'd still like the option available... Especially for Skadge (BH companion) since he's completely useless.
He is so... creepy. I don't think I trust him on my ship, especially around Mako and Blizz!

Naizgrel
04.21.2012 , 05:16 PM | #6
You should be able to kill em and you get a robot replacment
Sev, i know you are alive.

Celacia
04.21.2012 , 05:52 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Khalhazar View Post
He is so... creepy. I don't think I trust him on my ship, especially around Mako and Blizz!
Seriously. I am afraid he is going to sexually assault Mako. Not so much my BH, because she would kick his *** three ways from Sunday, but, ugh. I don't want him on my ship. I would have killed him if I had had the chance. I would still kill him if I had the chance. That first conversation with him on the ship? So creepy and predatory.

Husofanten
04.21.2012 , 06:02 PM | #8
People are already whining because they cant change their advanced class...

Imagine the rage if you could kill your companions.
Oh noes, I didnt mean to. It sounded like an funny idea to kill my companion but now I want him back, pleeease.

Well with possible droid replacement it could work

Ranadiel_Marius
04.21.2012 , 06:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Husofanten View Post
People are already whining because they cant change their advanced class...

Imagine the rage if you could kill your companions.
Oh noes, I didnt mean to. It sounded like an funny idea to kill my companion but now I want him back, pleeease.

Well with possible droid replacement it could work
Oh the rage would still continue with the droid replacements. The moment they add new companion conversations the rage would go something like, "I'm being puniched for my decisions by not being given as much content as everyone else!" Not allowing companion killings is just the way of least headaches for Bioware.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

LX_Theo
04.21.2012 , 08:00 PM | #10
Because it would have to be permanent. No save files to go back and redo the choice.

Bioware said their testing showed that people were more likely to be regretful and want for the ability to get the companion back rather be happy about the ability to kill them.