Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Holographic disguises: do they fit with Star Wars?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Holographic disguises: do they fit with Star Wars?

RobertMcDonald
04.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #1
A number of times in the Imperial Agent story, you see people wearing holographic disguises that are completely convincing. (For spoilers' sake, I won't discuss any examples or provide screenshots of them.) Given how holograms are typically shown in the Star Wars films and even in the game during holocalls, does this make any sense? Star Wars holograms have always been consistently "unrealistic": blue, glowing, and often covered with scanlines.

Are there any examples in the Star Wars canon of holograms that are "photorealistic," consistent with the holographic disguises in TOR? Or am I correct in my belief that these holographic disguises don't really fit with established Star Wars canon?

DrFaroohk
04.21.2012 , 03:31 PM | #2
Those are just holograms used for communication, I doubt they tried to put the best possible graphix in those. IA probably has access to a limited amount of disguise tech.

Koronii
04.22.2012 , 02:17 AM | #3
Well, to give one example Thrawn had a collection of holograms in his chambers that rendered the sculptures so well Pellaeon didn't realize they were holograms.

DeutschGamer
04.22.2012 , 02:26 AM | #4
Established canon? This game is establishing canon for this particular time period of the Old Republic, and so you should go by how the game displays technology as canon.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

DarthAsphyx
04.22.2012 , 02:27 AM | #5
Exactly, if someone was wealthy, they could buy better holos, and Imperial Intelligence surely had the best.

RobertMcDonald
04.22.2012 , 11:59 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Koronii View Post
Well, to give one example Thrawn had a collection of holograms in his chambers that rendered the sculptures so well Pellaeon didn't realize they were holograms.
Ah. So there is some kind of precedent for this. Though there's a big difference between a portable hologram emitter and a static display...

Quote: Originally Posted by DeutschGamer View Post
Established canon? This game is establishing canon for this particular time period of the Old Republic, and so you should go by how the game displays technology as canon.
While that's certainly one way of looking at it, when you're evaluating whether something fits into a universe, it's not an especially useful perspective. For example, I would be a little taken aback if suddenly people were traveling interstellar distances using something like a Star Trek warp drive rather than hyperdrive. I wouldn't just say, "Well, looks like this is the new canon."

DeutschGamer
04.22.2012 , 01:12 PM | #7
Quote:
While that's certainly one way of looking at it, when you're evaluating whether something fits into a universe, it's not an especially useful perspective. For example, I would be a little taken aback if suddenly people were traveling interstellar distances using something like a Star Trek warp drive rather than hyperdrive. I wouldn't just say, "Well, looks like this is the new canon."
The invention and use of hyperdrive was well established in time periods pre-dating the Old Republic, all the foundation of technology exists in the EU. The status and appearance of that tech is what changes and what SWTOR has the right to do being in an unexplored time frame.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Crimson_Paladin
04.22.2012 , 03:44 PM | #8
As a matter of fact, we do have holographic disguises in Star Wars. They even used some in an episode of The Clone Wars.

Celacia
04.22.2012 , 04:08 PM | #9
What I want to know is how thorough and convincing they are, I mean, as an agent
Spoiler

HaltHammerzeit
04.22.2012 , 06:16 PM | #10
I think it was in one of the NJO books where Luke and Wraith Squadron infiltrated a Vong world with a mixture of actual Vong armour and holographic overlays, so there is precedent in the EU for hologram shrouds, albeit thousands of years into the future.