Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP and PvE Armor Design: Why Bioware's Design Aesthetic is Fundamentally Flawed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PvP and PvE Armor Design: Why Bioware's Design Aesthetic is Fundamentally Flawed

ezy_ryder
04.21.2012 , 05:09 PM | #21
I fully agree. Let's hope this thread catches their attention. What pissed me off most was the fact that you can't find armor for siths that looks like the armor worn in the trailer videos. I just want a black cloak, maybe with some armor and bulky bracers underneath, I don't, however, want to look like a terminator machine or a red sauron.

AlyxDinas
04.21.2012 , 05:17 PM | #22
I think there's room for both what we currently have and what people want to see, to be quite honest. Even with some of the designs that people are most critical of, I can certainly trace visual sources to content from the larger Star Wars canon. As time expands and the sheer number of gear increase, there's room for visual diversification to occur which encompasses a host of disparate looks.

All that is needed is time.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

rickyard
04.21.2012 , 05:46 PM | #23
Even if the designs weren't so bad, at least we shouldn't have specific designs that are not allowed for some classes. Why can i have a jedi with black armour and no cape? I remember Mara jade being half "operative" and half "sith" wear spy-like suit. I remember Luke wearing black and Zuckuss (bounty hunter) wearing what it looks like jedi robe. So I'd like my Sith inquisitor to wear pants, not skirt, or i'd want my female bounty hunter to look like a smuggler (remember Aurra Sing? Why not?)

TitusVorenus
04.21.2012 , 05:47 PM | #24
Thank you, spne, for your excellent links. As we can see in those designs, even those with "flair" are often muted and understated, as opposed to full of bravado.

Pendragon, I cannot honestly say with 100% certainty that I speak for a "vast majority", it is true. However, I gathered such an opinion from my gameplay, hearing it very often from fellow guildmembers and just throughout the course of the game. In addition, the response to this thread--and yes, I understand that not everyone posts on these forums--is rather telling.

Many of you have commented to the effect that a lot of this armor seems more influenced by fantasy motifs than by science fiction, and especially of course "used future" . I agree with these sentiments, but I do not think we should be so quick to jump to conclusions and argue that it is to influence, say, WoW players or LOTRO players--as I said in the opening post, making things unnecessarily fanciful is endemic to the entertainment industry and has been for many years.

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses so far, and ask once again that future responses remain civil and on-point.
The Former Dalexeo Cobja of Starsider
Vorenus Faustus--Vanguard, Helm of Graush
Sygnus Faustus--Scoundrel, Helm of Graush
Vorbeck--Sniper, Ven Zallow

Tsaritsin
04.21.2012 , 06:33 PM | #25
The first time I saw a Sorc with one of those pointy witches hats, not sure what armor set it is, PvE set of some sort, I just fell about laughing, kind of broke the game immersion a little bit, lol

Then we could mention the Mara armor that has Metal Working vices on the shoulders, lol

"Hang on Darth, I just need to cut this 3 quarter inch cooper tube, got a leaky rad, then i'll be right with ya for some killing"

Fantastic post OP

And tbh, I think they simply ran out of time, because some of the armor as you state is very very good, but yes, the end game armor is truly horrific, both PvP and PvE.
"I am suffering from a cascade failure,
The flaws in my ENGINE are multiplying exponentially,
And my Death is inevitable, I am not worth mourning."

SWTOR, Chamber of Speech, HEROIC 2+

Beslley
04.21.2012 , 06:45 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsaritsin View Post
The first time I saw a Sorc with one of those pointy witches hats, not sure what armor set it is, PvE set of some sort, I just fell about laughing, kind of broke the game immersion a little bit, lol

Then we could mention the Mara armor that has Metal Working vices on the shoulders, lol

"Hang on Darth, I just need to cut this 3 quarter inch cooper tube, got a leaky rad, then i'll be right with ya for some killing"

Fantastic post OP

And tbh, I think they simply ran out of time, because some of the armor as you state is very very good, but yes, the end game armor is truly horrific, both PvP and PvE.
Yep, the pointy witch hats are the Sorc pve tier helms >_<
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

JackalTurner
04.21.2012 , 07:06 PM | #27
THANK YOU!
I have said these kinds of things about Star Wars for years! Star Wars, especially the original trilogy, was always a dirty, used universe. It wasnt shiny or smooth.
And while I do like the Sith armors myself, and I belive one of the trooper ones, I just dont like a lot of the others. ESPECIALLY the bright colors. And whoever designed the grasshopper jedi needs to just...not design armor.

Also, on a personal note, I hate the color orange when it comes to clothing. I REALLY hate that they seem to use orange a TON in this game.

Toweleeeie
04.21.2012 , 07:18 PM | #28
This is my biggest issue with the game. Im not going to quit but if there is not improvement, I eventually will.
I like turtles

rickyard
04.21.2012 , 07:20 PM | #29
Only one point in defence of "new and shiny objects".

First i'll say that i agree with the OP, don't like the new and shiny style that the game has given us so far, BUT

(Ned Stark: Someone told me that everything that is before the word "BUT" doesn't count)

I remember our old loving george saying that the first films everything was old and used and all the things the OP said, but the prequels are no longer this way. He wanted to give Star Wars a shiny and new look to reflect that a period of peace WAS GOING to be broken. That's why we see in Episode I Naboo starships with elegant designs, polished finishes, that's why we see R2 perfectly shinig, Amidala with robes that doesn't allow you to move, that's why palpatine's chambers, although dark, are clean and have a great landscape window. And when you get to episode 2 and 3, everything becomes used and darker, clone armor begin to be filled with scratches, dirt, vehicles are increasingly dirty, so you can see that the clone wars have made an effect on military and environement. now we should consider: Are we at war or are we at pre-war period? I could then see that shiny things fit to Fleet, Coruscant or Nar Shadda, but of course not to Balmorra or Tatooine.

Lumenadducere
04.21.2012 , 07:21 PM | #30
They've already said that they've heard the complaints about the armor designs and will seek to make them more in tune with other Star Wars designs in the future. The only thing is that armor designs are usually created a couple sets ahead of what we actually have, so the next couple tiers of designs are going to be within the same mold...but after that they'll be more in line with what we want to see.

So...rejoice! We'll be getting more sensible armor sets after a couple more strange ones.