Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP and PvE Armor Design: Why Bioware's Design Aesthetic is Fundamentally Flawed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
PvP and PvE Armor Design: Why Bioware's Design Aesthetic is Fundamentally Flawed

Ricktur
04.24.2012 , 12:50 PM | #111
the devs know what star wars is. they also know that people play mmos to be/look uber in a fantasy environment.

they want the endgame gear to be instantly recognizable and reek uberness.

thats the only reason for their design direction.

now you can keep the orange armor and continue to mod it, the game gives you that option. missing set bonuses? so what? the endgame content is not hard and if you collect datacrons you'll more than make up for the lost set bonus. PERIOD.

/thread.
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

RenegadeCommando
04.24.2012 , 12:52 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Thermonuked View Post
i completely agree and have mentioned in another post in the consular section that the designs just dont fit with the lore of star wars, which drew most of us to this game in the first place.

i have seen a lot of the designs for the end game consular armour worn by princess amadala in episode 1 and 2, but she wasnt a jedi, she was a princess in the 1st film and a senator in the 2nd, so quite how that ties in with any kind of jedi design is beyond me, but worse still, is the new smuggler design armour was worn in the films by an operative, not a smuggler, so not only did they get the armour wrong, its for the wrong side.

btw, as a die hard star wars fan since the first film was released, (yes, i'm that old), episode 2 is hands down the worst of the 6 films, and taking any sort of design cues from the worst film in the series is unforgivable.
Even Phase 1 Plastoid Body Armour? I love the old Clone Troopers rigs
"A good soldier obeys without question"
"A good officer commands without doubt" Qouted from Imperial Guard Codex
Shadow Corps<Hydian Way> Casual Trooper guild Enlist today

Thermonuked
04.24.2012 , 03:30 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by RenegadeCommando View Post
Even Phase 1 Plastoid Body Armour? I love the old Clone Troopers rigs
i was actually talking specifically about the consulars armour, there is actually some really cool looking armour for all classes while you are levelling, and even some of the end game gear is quite nice, heck, for women, apart from the helmet, the columi/rakata consulars gear looks good, it looks awful on male character tho, and has nothing to do with jedi in the slightest, and thats my problem with it, even the daftest person out there understands there is a difference between dress clothes and work clothes, just as there is a difference between dress uniforms and actual battle uniforms, but it seems the designers dont, i'd rather have my jedi running about in the armour thats on the splash screen, the stuff the npc's wear, i think that looks awesome, just as i would like to have my trooper running around in battle armour, without the toast rack and camel hump

mSum
04.24.2012 , 03:39 PM | #114
I agree with you. BW dropped the ball on end game gear. Watch the movies again and put us back in that universe! Not some crazy place where Jedi Knights dress up like robotic grasshoppers and my agent looks like he got his gear at a second hand store in Ohio.

Obie_Wan
04.24.2012 , 03:42 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricktur View Post
PERIOD.

/thread.
Translation: I'm afraid of other people destroying my flimsy argument with a well thought out counter argument so I think I'll try and avoid that by announcing an end to all discussions. I'm also the kind of person who likes to get into arguments with other people, send them nasty tells and then immediately put them on ignore so they can't reply back. I'm a real winner!

PERIOD.

/thread
Outnumbered on all sides. Inferior version of "mirrored" abilities. Republic players are the real underdogs playing the game on hard mode. Show pride in your tenacity.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=101553

Ricktur
04.25.2012 , 04:20 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Obie_Wan View Post
Translation: I'm afraid of other people destroying my flimsy argument with a well thought out counter argument so I think I'll try and avoid that by announcing an end to all discussions. I'm also the kind of person who likes to get into arguments with other people, send them nasty tells and then immediately put them on ignore so they can't reply back. I'm a real winner!

PERIOD.

/thread
WEAK.

no i think what it is, is that i spoke truth, truth to the point where no counter argument could be submitted. thus, i am better than you. why you ask? because you never submitted a counter argument because i am truth. mission accomplished sucka.
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

Kharnis
04.25.2012 , 05:55 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Ricktur View Post
WEAK.

no i think what it is, is that i spoke truth, truth to the point where no counter argument could be submitted. thus, i am better than you. why you ask? because you never submitted a counter argument because i am truth. mission accomplished sucka.
You just gang signed him after typing that, didn't you?
Proud member of "The Loose Canons" Cartel.
Fan Fics
Completed:
Ongoing:

TheSeventhJedi
04.25.2012 , 06:12 PM | #118
Very well written OP, I concur.

Quote: Originally Posted by Thermonuked View Post
i was actually talking specifically about the consulars armour, there is actually some really cool looking armour for all classes while you are levelling, and even some of the end game gear is quite nice, heck, for women, apart from the helmet, the columi/rakata consulars gear looks good, it looks awful on male character tho, and has nothing to do with jedi in the slightest, and thats my problem with it, even the daftest person out there understands there is a difference between dress clothes and work clothes, just as there is a difference between dress uniforms and actual battle uniforms, but it seems the designers dont, i'd rather have my jedi running about in the armour thats on the splash screen, the stuff the npc's wear, i think that looks awesome, just as i would like to have my trooper running around in battle armour, without the toast rack and camel hump
That's the Jedi Battlelord Armor Set (or the level 20 legacy gear if you prefer gray,) and thankfully, it's an orange set. I couldn't agree with you more, and it's exactly what I sport. As soon as I get anything from a HM or Ops, out come the mods, and it goes into that.
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

AshlaBoga
04.25.2012 , 06:41 PM | #119
It's interesting how there are plenty of good looking gear items - but for some reason the good PvP and PvE stuff? Looks terrible. That's what confuses me the most. Some the items I had at level 20 look way better than Tionese/Columi/Raka and the new Campaign/Black Hole. Now that doesn't make sense to me. It's as if Bioware has an unspoken philosophy of aesthetics: Increased stats = Decreased beauty, and vice versa.

Is this common in other mmos? The only other mmo I've played was the "game that shall not be named" trial and so I can't speak for gear appearance past level 20.

Deewe
04.25.2012 , 06:49 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by TitusVorenus View Post
I said it before, and I will say it again:
We don't believe in the designs because the designs aren't believable.
First thanks to the OP for taking the time to write this great article and to the others who added a lot to the subject.

Then IMHO BioWare has mostly 3 issues right now:
  • First trying too much to make classes iconic
  • Second overdo the gear
  • Third imposing cloaks and shoulder pads, as attached to the chest piece

Would they tune down the above it would not be as bad.