Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why non-stop alt leveling will fail.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why non-stop alt leveling will fail.

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
04.21.2012 , 12:49 AM | #21
Once I started playing alts and going through their story, my interest in SWTOR was completely renewed. Maybe I had made a bad choice in choosing sorcerer as my first character as its story is pretty lame in comparison to BH and warrior.

If youre skipping story and going to top as soon as possible, youre making a biiiig mistake.

ps. Playing PVP on alts helps me get lot of XP and speeds me past the planetary quests that I have already done greatly reducing the amount of repetition and I know how to avoid the most annoying quests (example, house of rist on alderaan, extremely long corridor stocked full with mobs spread around so you cant even run around them)
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Doamy's Avatar


Doamy
04.21.2012 , 12:54 AM | #22
-Post content removed-

FITorion's Avatar


FITorion
04.21.2012 , 12:58 AM | #23
I have 14 characters. One is at lvl 36... Most are less than 20.

I'm probably not going to level my 36 again for a few months. End game doesn't really interest me. By the time I get there... there will be more stuff than I can conceivably do.

Never attribute to malice that which can be ascribed to sheer stupidity.

SajmanPeetee's Avatar


SajmanPeetee
04.21.2012 , 01:02 AM | #24
OP,

The hardcore/raiders are in the minority, you guys represent approximately 5% of the population. That figure comes from WoW data that shows less than 5% of guilds have downed Deathwing across all servers and less than 1% have slain Herioc Deathwing.

I understand that you do not care for their business model, but you have to understand that it is the best business model for them to generate maximum revenue. The truth is, the days of Everquest and classic WoW which was centered around end-game activities are gone.

You will find that every game that hits the market from now on whether it be Tera, Guild Wars 2, or the next WoW expansion will highly favor casual play.

You will get your end-game content but it will be slow and in small amounts. If you don't like that, you can quit. But I wouldn't plan on ever seeing another MMO game designer focus it's game design around end-game raiding again.

DieAlteHexe's Avatar


DieAlteHexe
04.21.2012 , 01:05 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Doamy View Post
I love it! Thinly veiled contempt is refreshing!

I understand the concept people are different and enjoy different things. I know some people will watch their favorite movie again and again because they like the way the story is told, the message behind it, the emotions it compels...

What I fail to understand is how anyone can enjoy the core of the SWTOR story enough to put up with it a second or more time, with no real emotion, the only memorable characters being Grand Moff Kilran (because I loved poking fun at him on my smuggler but I can do that in hardmodes) and Satele because she appears so often as the FP quest giver.

oh... I see my wrong assumption, i am assuming people with alts actually enjoy that part, they are most likely trudging through it to get to the part they want from the alt.
That you fail to understand it doesn't change others' enjoyment of it. I'm not being snarky here. It is simply a difference in perspective. I don't get why PvP is such a big deal to people, I truly do not. But, I accept that it is and wish 'em well.

I am not "trudging" through anything, either. I don't pay a sub fee to "trudge". If I enjoy a game, I play it. If I don't, I go find something else to do.

Really, just accept that how you feel is fine for you and leave others the same courtesy. The "fail" that you are feeling is actually a huge WIN to many folks that play this game. For once, an MMO is NOT all about jetting to level-cap but far more about all that occurs getting there. This, for many, is GREAT!
---------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm not Spartacus.

Hyfy's Avatar


Hyfy
04.21.2012 , 01:27 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Doamy View Post
I love it! Thinly veiled contempt is refreshing!

I understand the concept people are different and enjoy different things. I know some people will watch their favorite movie again and again because they like the way the story is told, the message behind it, the emotions it compels...

What I fail to understand is how anyone can enjoy the core of the SWTOR story enough to put up with it a second or more time, with no real emotion, the only memorable characters being Grand Moff Kilran (because I loved poking fun at him on my smuggler but I can do that in hardmodes) and Satele because she appears so often as the FP quest giver.

oh... I see my wrong assumption, i am assuming people with alts actually enjoy that part, they are most likely trudging through it to get to the part they want from the alt.
Funny you assume that people who roll any number of alts (I am nearly constantly making them) just want one thing and that's end game. I have 3 50's so far and once I hit 50 on each of them I play them enough to get some decent gear on them and then they get pulled out as needed for the guild. Because at that point I am working on another series of alts. Hell I've got a myriad of alts across multiple servers. And just started another on a PvP server to give that a go because I typically only go to PvE servers. The thing is the class stories are different for each class and there is even a degree of difference between the two AC's in the same base class. The plays type is different, you have different abilities and often times it take completely different strategies to complete the same quests. Granted some of the side quests I'll spacebar my way through because I have done em a hundred times already but I almost never do that in the class quests. It's different strokes for different folks and all that jazz man. You don't have to understand why I roll alts, you just have to accept that I do.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

Doamy's Avatar


Doamy
04.21.2012 , 01:48 AM | #27
-Post content removed-

DieAlteHexe's Avatar


DieAlteHexe
04.21.2012 , 01:53 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Doamy View Post
Actually, I assume most people roll alts for one of a few reasons
- Bank and crafting alts
- Different combat roles to help fill spots (not exclusive to ops)
- To discover a play-style they enjoy
- To see NEW content.

The first 3 may or may not care for the content as they work toward that goal. This thread seems to be focused on the last type.

I guess my point is, how do people put up with the huge amount of repetition to see that new stuff?
Because, despite your inability to understand, they enjoy it. It really is that simple.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm not Spartacus.

JeramieCrowe's Avatar


JeramieCrowe
04.21.2012 , 01:53 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Doamy View Post
I guess my point is, how do people put up with the huge amount of repetition to see that new stuff?
I've played games that had, in my opinion, mediocre storytelling. I play it once, maybe twice, but probably not.

Now, every BioWare game I've played, the storytelling was so good, I had to play it over and over. I also own movies on blu-ray. Why own movies if you only watch them once? No, I watch them over and over again. The Bourne Trilogy, the Star Wars movies, Transporter, Avatar, you name it. I own them because I want to watch the story again sometime.

It's no different here. If the storytelling in TOR was as mediocre as most MMOs, I wouldn't be doing this.

Also, roleplay. Each and every one of my characters have a unique personality and wit about them. How I interact with the world around me creates quite a different experience for me in my head. Yes, in my head. That's where it counts, after all.
Allix Crowe - Vanguard Trooper -/- Ethavan Crowe - Smuggler Gunslinger -/- Malrath Crowe - Powertech Bounty Hunter -/- Boslo - Jedi Knight Sentinel -/- Jiao-gen Pall - Jedi Knight Guardian -/- Landen Tanarr - Jedi Consular Sage -/- Vaelyth Kinti-kaar- Sith Warrior Juggernaut -/- Oteln'erose'thu - Imperial Agent Sniper -/- Zandur Tuum - Cathar Knight

rafter's Avatar


rafter
04.21.2012 , 01:55 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by gunsligger View Post
And that's to build a character only to stop at 50, rinse and repeat. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind look forward to leveling something to max (Which is the main goal in the first place). Only to stop and do the same thing all over again ?
The part in bold is where your argument falls on it's face. There is no such thing as the "main goal" in an MMO. Every person plays differently and everyone does in these games what they want to. However, if there was a main goal in ToR is certainly wouldn't be to race to the finish line, it would be to experience the story lines, which is the exact opposite of what you are claiming.