Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking: A Primer

Gankstah
02.29.2012 , 01:38 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Locustone View Post
While I can appreciate your desire to have people figure things out for themselves, I don't beleive that you put so much effort in to this "primer" without already doing the work yourself. Would it be increadibly hard to share those recommendations such as you did above for the entire paper doll section?
I don't want you to take this the wrong way, really... I don't, but any work I've done outside of this thread is for me and me alone.

I don't owe anyone anything. This is not my job. I don't get paid for this. And the reader's of this thread sure as shnitzel aren't my "employers". I don't inject my personal opinions on the matter simply because that's not what *this* thread is about. There are copious amounts of resources outside of this thread which do broach that topic and that's what *those* threads are about.

*This* thread doesn't touch that particular topic because it is volatile. It's completely subjective. There are several ways you can gear yourself mathematically and have an amazing Mean Mitigation. And each way has it's own pro's and con's. Those pro's and con's are exactly what start endless debates and forum wars both here on the official forums, fan sites and theorycrafting sites around the web.

The Primer is just that, a Primer. It's not intended to tell you how to gear or play your toon. It's not a Guide; the second sentence of the OP explicitly states that. It's here simply to educate and formulate tools and ideas with which players can make educated decisions on THEIR OWN.

That's the last I will say on the matter.

Narfirill
03.03.2012 , 09:51 AM | #92
Extremely nice job!
I am a sniper and i find that very informative!
I would like to ask you one thing though...
I struggle against tanks and SI in PvP and i decide to go to "enemy" forums in order to find ways to compensated. but lack of experience as a tank i would like to ask you (that i assume you have optimised your endgame stats) to helm me become a problem for you?

Assuming that you are fully buffed (class buffs), but with no consumables and relics, what kind of numbers for my stats: accuracy, critical chance, will have the best probability in theory to land a blow normal or critical on your tank...(with normal or tech skills)

Yo will probably say that its not my role in PvP to primary consider damage you but if i hit you i can harm anybody. And in general would be nice to know how much of disadvantage i have against a good tank.

Thanks again for the outstanding job on combat mechanics explanation in general.
wish you intelligence because luck runs out

Modays
03.04.2012 , 11:48 AM | #93
Hey, this is a great guide. could I get a bit of advice on the skill tree? spent a few hours last night looking through other ppl's guides for their view point on defence/vigilence tanking, and I tried to combine the best of all of it. btw, this is for raid tanking for guardian: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#50...rkzMZhGb0MZM.1
plz pm me with your answer if u can

Gankstah
03.14.2012 , 12:28 PM | #94
My sub has been cancelled.

I'm sorry but SWTOR is just not the game it *could* have been. Perhaps in 5-6 months I'll revisit and see if any progress has been made to bring SWTOR up to par but, as the saying goes, it's my time and my money... I'll do with it what I so choose.

It's been stated that in 1.2 changes will be made to stats, diminishing returns and other mechanics. Because of that I'm sure most of what's in the Primer will be largely out dated. I have requested that the Primer be taken off of sticky. I encourage anyone out there that's willing to update and/or maintain it to migrate over what you will and request that it be stickied under your account. You can reference this post in your request to help expedite the transition.

I wish everyone nothing but the best and genuinely hope that SWTOR eventually shapes up to the MMO potential it has.

Be good to one another.

XXcaesar
10.23.2012 , 11:09 AM | #95
how as tanks and healers can we educate the dps community and instill the same pride you see in the tank and healer community

SirTwist
01.12.2014 , 01:24 PM | #96
This will probably have already been answered, but I would like to ask if someone wouldn't mind pointing me to a good area, in the thread, to read about vanguard tanking. I apologize for this, but I'd like to read more about it, and get some knowledge about it.

This is a great guide. When I tank with my Sith Assassin, I do my best to pull aggro to me. And I feel that is the best way to do it. Having the mobs attack me over the healer will help keep the healer alive, and keep me from dying. I would like to remind the dps'ers that it is their job to help the tank in killing mobs, and keeping the healer alive. I almost stopped healing as a Jedi Sage, or even smuggler. I don't want the aggravation of doing my job, and yet getting blamed for pulling aggro when the tank isn't doing their job. I know how hard it is to heal through mobs attacking me, so when I do tank on my characters that can tank, I do my best to protect my healer the best I can.

mastirkal
01.12.2014 , 02:43 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by SirTwist View Post
This will probably have already been answered, but I would like to ask if someone wouldn't mind pointing me to a good area, in the thread, to read about vanguard tanking. I apologize for this, but I'd like to read more about it, and get some knowledge about it.

This is a great guide. When I tank with my Sith Assassin, I do my best to pull aggro to me. And I feel that is the best way to do it. Having the mobs attack me over the healer will help keep the healer alive, and keep me from dying. I would like to remind the dps'ers that it is their job to help the tank in killing mobs, and keeping the healer alive. I almost stopped healing as a Jedi Sage, or even smuggler. I don't want the aggravation of doing my job, and yet getting blamed for pulling aggro when the tank isn't doing their job. I know how hard it is to heal through mobs attacking me, so when I do tank on my characters that can tank, I do my best to protect my healer the best I can.
dude this is about as necro as a post as you can get. **** hasn't been updated since about the start of the game.

MGNMTTRN
01.12.2014 , 02:58 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by SirTwist View Post

Boarder at swtorboard.org will be putting out an excellent Vanguard tank guide very soon. Presently no good Vanguard tank guide exists.

mastirkal
01.12.2014 , 03:34 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by MGNMTTRN View Post
Boarder at swtorboard.org will be putting out an excellent Vanguard tank guide very soon. Presently no good Vanguard tank guide exists.
http://dulfy.net/2014/01/05/swtor-sh...g-class-guide/

Don't respond with "that guide sucks lol". It's still a damn guide and honestly decent for beginners.

EDIT: Guide actually isn't half bad after reading it. :/

SirTwist
01.12.2014 , 07:57 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
http://dulfy.net/2014/01/05/swtor-sh...g-class-guide/

Don't respond with "that guide sucks lol". It's still a damn guide and honestly decent for beginners.

EDIT: Guide actually isn't half bad after reading it. :/
That was for powertech, but I did find the Vanguard easily enough. Thank you.

This is an awesome guide. I just wish more people would pay attention to this, as well as other things. I do recommend, with a ton of other research, learning the rotations, cd's, etc. for being a tank. One site I use is www.noxxic.com I know, people will say it's a bad site, it's this and that, but it's a good start.

I've had a few flashpoints where I healed, and was almost booted because I generated more aggro than the tank. I hate, when I heal, when a tank doesn't use their AoE taunts, and hangs the healer out to die. Or the dps'ers that don't take care of the mobs, or adds, and the healer draws the aggro, for doing nothing but healing. Now that I have a better understanding of the roles, I will do my best to use what I know to better help whatever group I'm in, and may even help the tank out, if they aren't doing their jobs, and everyone dies because the healer, me when I am in the role, dies first.