Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

DerekMiller
04.26.2012 , 04:21 AM | #71
Iv got a ticket in about this and has been there since about 10am local this morning (its 6:20pm now) i also have a thread ongoing about the issue in the CS forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=1#post4147635 , all i can say is what a debacle...

Darkchaz
04.26.2012 , 05:40 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by MikWesten View Post
Wow, this is completely counter-intuitive. Most people would load their character, & when prompted to rename, have the (rightful) assumption that this is allowing them to rename the character they were loading. Although I'd read this thread when it was posted, this minor but extremely important detail did not spring to mind, while watching my Wife rename her two characters the wrong way around...
xD on the upside I was not the only one to do this lol My SI has my SW name and my SW has my SI name ;/
I was Cheat of Dalborra Legacy Lockmeup
Cheating Sweetroll's
HATRED The Ex-Dalborran Elitists

StephenReid
04.26.2012 , 08:39 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBrundleFLY View Post
These are facts your so called Customer Service should be able to see...so why after "investigating" the issue I have lost the name to someone who has just created the toon on the server in the last few days.
Unfortunately there's nothing further I can do. There will always be a risk upon deleting a character name on your destination server that it might be legitimately used by someone else.

In your case, knowing your character's name (which is shared by a well-known Expanded Universe character who has been in comics, a current TV show and even the Star Wars movies) the chances of someone looking to use that name for their character is relatively high. Given that you have already seen this name is being used by another player, I hope you can understand they had the same instinct as you in naming their character, and allow them to enjoy the game.

Quote: Originally Posted by Turbosith View Post
I asked Customer Service about renaming my characters because of this bug - Clicked on my Marauder but my trooper was renamed (because it was at the top of the list) and they said they couldn't help with renaming my characters.

Can they not just reset it, like they did when my character was in violation of copyright or when it was transferred yesterday?
Speaking to Customer Service today, there may have been some confusion with some representatives. We're ensuring there's better clarity.

We have a temporary issue in that Customer Service cannot currently change Legacy names, but I have confirmed that Customer Service can and will rename your character's first names if you have accidentally renamed them. It may take a short while, but it will be done.

DerekMiller
04.26.2012 , 08:59 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post

Speaking to Customer Service today, there may have been some confusion with some representatives. We're ensuring there's better clarity.

We have a temporary issue in that Customer Service cannot currently change Legacy names, but I have confirmed that Customer Service can and will rename your character's first names if you have accidentally renamed them. It may take a short while, but it will be done.

Stephen this is great news.... ) hopefully we see it in action soon

TheBandit
04.26.2012 , 09:57 AM | #75
If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.
Just wanted to make a note that when the renaming process began, it picked my second listed character first, not the top character. After renaming the second character it prompted me to rename the first listed character. My top character was my higher level and was a trooper. Second character was a smuggler.

I guess the message of the day is to carefully read the jumble of letters to ensure you understand which character is being renamed.

grezgorz
04.26.2012 , 12:04 PM | #76
This is such a horrible system. Why not just wait until you can do it properly?

Amirae
04.26.2012 , 05:00 PM | #77
I also have a ticket in with regards to renaming issues. I had clicked on my Sage to rename first. And although the picture of the Sage showed it renamed my Scoundrel instead.

Im glad to have my original names but its really frustrating that they are the wrong way around.

I have now just tried to log in. I have a response by customer service. They have made it so i can rename my characters. BUT obviously both names are now taken....***!!

Now i cant use either name. But im prompted to change both.

Kodosong
04.26.2012 , 05:07 PM | #78
Yea I wasn't real happy last night when my legacy name was already been used. I guess I should have created it with a toon I that had already unlocked it on the server but was waiting for the transfers. Now I am stuck with a legacy name I didn't really want.

I have had the same legacy/surname in every MMO and other game since EQ1

It won't be the same

/sad panda

michaelra
04.26.2012 , 05:45 PM | #79
Despite of what everyone said here, the customer support helped me out in renaming my characters (the one I wrongly renamed).
They were helpful and did the job right.

Just give them 24 hours to respond, you'll be good (and make a clear instruction what you want to do to make their jobs easier).

PS: I'm using the Customer Support form on the website, not the in-game ticket

DarthBrundleFLY
04.26.2012 , 06:19 PM | #80
Unfortunately there's nothing further I can do. There will always be a risk upon deleting a character name on your destination server that it might be legitimately used by someone else.

In your case, knowing your character's name (which is shared by a well-known Expanded Universe character who has been in comics, a current TV show and even the Star Wars movies) the chances of someone looking to use that name for their character is relatively high. Given that you have already seen this name is being used by another player, I hope you can understand they had the same instinct as you in naming their character, and allow them to enjoy the game.
If you had a better transfer system that allowed us to actually keep the names that we reserved on the servers I would not have lost my main characters name. I have used her name since Star Wars Galaxies and Wow launched and have used her name in many games and MMO's over the years, having liked her name from the Star Wars Dark horse comics back in 2003.

Yes I can understand that in a "Star Wars" game the name woud be popular...I was even worried at launch that I would not be able to use it as it was a Star Wars name.

I will list a few things I have done (which of course you will ignore) to re-emphisise how hard I tried to keep her name.

1. The second early access went live I created her and alts on a few servers to make sure I had her name.
2. The second the Aussie servers went live I created her on all 3 servers in anticipation of your promised upcoming server transfer. (The servers acctually came onlive 20min early...am sure if you check she was created within minutes of them going live)
3. When the server transfer webpage was not working you asked us aussies to post our current server and the characters we wished to transfer...I posted them thinking I was helping you guys out. (Now my character names are there for all to see)
4. We are told we can only keep placeholder name characters if there are "Free slots" on our destination server...so the most you could realisticaly keep was 4 with your system. (I have 8 that I wanted transferred yeah I have been actively playing your game...so no use to me)
5. To be able to transfer at all I HAD to delete my placeholders or not transfer...what choice did I have?

As I said I understand you would be placed in a hard position if what has happened to me occurs as you know what ever you do you will upset a player. As you can see from what I have posted I was diligent in trying to keep her name..this is my main character we are talking about as well...since yesterday I feel like my dog has died.

I hope the new version of my toon keeps playing and subscribing for I believe I am done at this point...

I have grown very attached to my character something I would have thought you would understand with a game that has a legacy system which embraces a family name...my main is not the same with a different name...I don't fell like playing her anymore. The character who has my name on my server is only level 12 can only be 4 days old how attached can they be when my character is over 4 months old.

Additionally my 8th toon that was not transferred is still onThe Harbinger, I did what customer service asked and replied to their request over 36 hours ago and I have heard nothing since.

To be honest I am feeling pretty down about this whole experience...some will say it's only a name get over it...but it was important to me...she just does not feel the same anymore.

I have been a staunch supporter of this game since launch and through all the ups and downs, the many bugs several of which affect a couple of my characters with no help from Customer Support (on getting replies back from those protocol droids one has to ask do they even read what we write)

Thanks for replying to my concerns only wish there was something you could do as I fear you have lost a customer, one who did want to support your game for a long time, but I want "my" characters you know theone I created in early access...she doesnt "feel" like my character with a different name..