Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What I see as one of the major issues not being adressed enough

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What I see as one of the major issues not being adressed enough

khreed's Avatar


khreed
04.19.2012 , 09:24 PM | #1
Let em start by saying I like the new content.
IMO the problem I see is that most fights (not all) favor range DPS too much and in some cases put really strong barriers in place for melee classes. I am not saying that the content can not be done with melee as clearly it can and has been done by myself and others in my guild but I can tell you IMO there is a balance issue for boss fights.
my 2 cents
Don't run you'll just die tired.

Kaonis's Avatar


Kaonis
04.19.2012 , 10:02 PM | #2
This has been a known issue since the start. Just about every boss fight heavily favors ranged because so many bosses have close ranged AoE attacks, so it's just better to bring ranged to avoid the damage and save on healing. Let alone the fact that melee have pretty much no extra survivability compared to a range since everyone gets the same health (outside tanks) and enemies hit so hard a little extra armor accounts for nothing (providing your not getting hit with the abundant elemental/force damage already).

The new content just took this idea of punishing melee and took it further. I've yet to get past the droid boss in the new FP on HM, simply because my presence as a melee makes the ENTIRE fight mechanics change from having the tank do their job in the middle, to having to ATTEMPT to kite the thing through lava and avoid it's plasma arcs simply because someone didn't roll a ranged DPS.

What's more saddening is this was an issue since before 1.2 and something people vocalized, the response from BW in 1.2? Make things even more one sided when choosing between your melee or ranged DPS.

With luck BW will wise up and finally listen to the customers and realize that hey, some fights really ARE pretty well unfair merely because you bring a melee or 2.

Xterminatz's Avatar


Xterminatz
04.19.2012 , 10:04 PM | #3
You have raid buffs/debuffs and everyone has personal cooldowns there are many ways to mitigate the damage you just need to think about your raid composition and startegy It's not like EV/KP where you can just come in and face roll all the content.

It's good and challenging now the way it should have been.
Follow your resident I.T geek and gaming enthusiast!
http://twitter.com/xterminatz || http://twitch.tv/xterminatz || http://youtube.com/xterminatz
Midian 16HM 4/4 Denova ~ http://www.midiangaming.com

Teioh_White's Avatar


Teioh_White
04.19.2012 , 10:17 PM | #4
I don't think it's the challenge people are complaining of, just the fact that melee are punished for being melee, while ranged isn't ever really punished for being range. Of course, you can work around it, but the fact is, you can just have 6 guys in a pile while the tanks position the mobs, and avoid a lot of the issues. Toth and Zorn are a good example of this, as is the first LI boss.

Aurojiin's Avatar


Aurojiin
04.19.2012 , 10:42 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xterminatz View Post
You have raid buffs/debuffs and everyone has personal cooldowns there are many ways to mitigate the damage you just need to think about your raid composition and startegy It's not like EV/KP where you can just come in and face roll all the content.

It's good and challenging now the way it should have been.
When you see posts like this, is there almost a visceral sense of rabid delight at the chance to basically tell people to l2p and imply your own superiority? Certainly you don't seem to let actually reading the original post get in your way.

The problem is the disparity in difficulty between melee DPS and ranged DPS. This is not good design. Difficulty as a whole should be about punishing people for bad play, not for their class choice.

Xterminatz's Avatar


Xterminatz
04.19.2012 , 10:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
When you see posts like this, is there almost a visceral sense of rabid delight at the chance to basically tell people to l2p and imply your own superiority? Certainly you don't seem to let actually reading the original post get in your way.

The problem is the disparity in difficulty between melee DPS and ranged DPS. This is not good design. Difficulty as a whole should be about punishing people for bad play, not for their class choice.
Nightmare Pylons, SoA, Jarg & Sorno, Foreman Crusher and Karagga required little movement from melee majority of the time they could sit there and DPS balls to wall, and now melee is having a whinge because they've made some slight mechanical changes to HM Lost Island and Explosive Conflict.

I'm not telling anyone to L2P at all from what I've seen and from what the melee players I've played with said there's no real issues here.
Follow your resident I.T geek and gaming enthusiast!
http://twitter.com/xterminatz || http://twitch.tv/xterminatz || http://youtube.com/xterminatz
Midian 16HM 4/4 Denova ~ http://www.midiangaming.com

arnoldlol's Avatar


arnoldlol
04.19.2012 , 11:31 PM | #7
Ranged has always been the better choice after buffs and debuffs are covered. There are also no "strong barriers" for melee in new content.
Cali Killed Nox
o [Website] o [Stream] o

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
04.20.2012 , 12:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaonis View Post
This has been a known issue since the start. Just about every boss fight heavily favors ranged because so many bosses have close ranged AoE attacks, so it's just better to bring ranged to avoid the damage and save on healing.
The only exception that I know of is the new event world boss on Tatooine, the infected bantha, that has 75% resistance to ranged. And even he has a closerange AOE.

Quote: Originally Posted by Xterminatz View Post
I'm not telling anyone to L2P at all from what I've seen and from what the melee players I've played with said there's no real issues here.
I wouldnt say there are big issues, just that theres favoritism among the devs.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

uniz's Avatar


uniz
04.20.2012 , 12:56 AM | #9
alot of mmo's have raid/group boss content that favor range dps over melee. this one is no different. the mechanics used almost always favor range unless they are specificly designed not too.

dont blame bioware as it is how things are being done mechanic wise now and in the past. you have bosses that have to be kited, blink all over or cant be taunted so they pop from dps to dps. melee have a hard time with any of these. there are even other more complicated mechanics that dont favor anyone even near the boss for certain periods of time: ie they have to joust.

i'm not sure what mmos some of you came from but this shouldnt be something new to you. even vanilla wow had this. bioware is doing nothing new here.

Bladedakoda's Avatar


Bladedakoda
04.20.2012 , 05:01 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
alot of mmo's have raid/group boss content that favor range dps over melee. this one is no different. the mechanics used almost always favor range unless they are specificly designed not too.

dont blame bioware as it is how things are being done mechanic wise now and in the past. you have bosses that have to be kited, blink all over or cant be taunted so they pop from dps to dps. melee have a hard time with any of these. there are even other more complicated mechanics that dont favor anyone even near the boss for certain periods of time: ie they have to joust.

i'm not sure what mmos some of you came from but this shouldnt be something new to you. even vanilla wow had this. bioware is doing nothing new here.
This, i played a DK and Mage as my main raiding dps toons, and i can tell you that melee always had the short end of the stick. Always having to run around move out of bad, or chase after the boss cause the tank had to kite. While on my mage on the same fights, i could just stand there and pew pew.