Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.2 Expertise Damage/Mitigation/Healing Scaling Explained

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
1.2 Expertise Damage/Mitigation/Healing Scaling Explained

Khoraji
04.19.2012 , 07:30 PM | #1
I know there are many other threads with this information, but I am going to try to explain as simply as I can for those that can't seem to grasp it. PLEASE read this if you are one of those that believes expertise is the reason DPS is now so much stronger and heals weaker.

Before 1.2 was released, expertise had a 1-1-1 ratio between Bonus DMG, Mitigation, and Healing.
So in full BM, the percentages were around 12% (it was over 12% but I cant remember the exact number, around 12.45% i believe...but lets just say 12%)

**PAY ATTENTION** The main thing you have to understand when looking at these numbers is that Bonus DMG and Mitigation did NOT cancel each other out exactly even though the percentages are the same. Bonus DMG is added BEFORE mitigation takes effect. Lets look at an example of pre 1.2 expertise:

Assuming full Battlemaster gear, you were at 12% bonus dmg, 12% mitigation, and 12% healing.
ATTACKER does 2000 dmg to DEFENDER
First you have to add in the 12% bonus damage, which works out to be 2240 so:
ATTACKER does 2240 dmg to DEFENDER
**PAY ATTENTION**Next step. 12% Mitigation takes effect for the DEFENDER so:
ATTACKER does 1972 dmg to DEFENDER

As you can see, pre 1.2 expertise scaling was actually reducing damage done.

Now for the changes introduced in 1.2

With full Battlemaster gear you are at: 22% bonus dmg, 18% mitigation, and 12% healing
At first glance it looks like damage got a 4% buff and healing stayed the same. This is not the case as I will show you in this next example:

ATTACKER does 2000 dmg to DEFENDER
First you have to add in the 22% bonus damage, which works out to be 2440 so:
ATTACKER does 2440 dmg to DEFENDER
**PAY ATTENTION**Next step. 18% Mitigation takes effect for the DEFENDER so:
ATTACKER does 2001 dmg to DEFENDER

As you can see, the changes in 1.2 make it so mitigation is now fully canceling out bonus dmg.

So if you look at the last line in our example:
Pre 1.2
ATTACKER does 1972 damage to DEFENDER
Currently
ATTACKER does 2001 dmg to DEFENDER

That is a grand total of 29 more damage with a 2000 dmg attack. That works out to be a 1.45% increase to damage from pre 1.2 to 1.2.

Oh i almost forgot about healing changes:
Assuming full BM
Pre 1.2: 12% bonus healing
1.2: 12% bonus healing
Nothing changed

When people start getting war hero gear, DMG and Mitigation will still cancel each other out, but healing will grow to over 13%. That is over a 1% increase to healing... about the same buff DMG got with the 1.2 changes... hmm go figure.
Khoraji - Jung Ma - <Dread>
Ven Zallow refugee

adrockcafe
04.19.2012 , 07:54 PM | #2
nm I AM a moron lol, i get it.

JustTray
04.19.2012 , 07:56 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by adrockcafe View Post
Really confused by this post, but maybe I'm a moron. Please straighten me out:

Damage went from 12% bonus to 22% bonus - so how does this look like damage got a 4% buff? Doesn't 22 minus 12 equal 10?

I have many more confused questions about this post, but maybe when you help me get this one the rest will make sense.
The new change in dps is the difference between the change in damage and the change in damage resistance

Khoraji
04.19.2012 , 07:58 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by adrockcafe View Post
Really confused by this post, but maybe I'm a moron. Please straighten me out:

Damage went from 12% bonus to 22% bonus - so how does this look like damage got a 4% buff? Doesn't 22 minus 12 equal 10?

I have many more confused questions about this post, but maybe when you help me get this one the rest will make sense.

BAD MATH but what people seem to think works:
pre 1.2: 12% dmg bonus - 12% mitigation = 0%
1.2: 22% dmg bonus - 18% mitigation = 4%

IE: 4% buff if you dont realize that mitigation is calculated after bonus dmg.
Ven Zallow refugee

Altruismo
04.19.2012 , 08:08 PM | #5
It's probably also very important to point out how neccessary Expertise is to PVP now.

When someone with full BM attacks someone with zero expertise, this is what happens:

Say BM attacks for 2000 damage, expertise converts that to 2444 damage.
No expertise, you're eating 2444
Centurion gear would reduce that to 2211
Champ gear will reduce it to 2145
Recruit gear will reduce it to 2067
Battle Master gear will reduce it to 2000

So in short, buy your recruit gear where it's BiS if you want to PVP.

IMPORTANT NOTE: my numbers are slightly different from the ones in the OP because I did not round of the Damage increase/reduction % values.

Khoraji
04.19.2012 , 08:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Altruismo View Post
It's probably also very important to point out how neccessary Expertise is to PVP now.

When someone with full BM attacks someone with zero expertise, this is what happens:

Say BM attacks for 2000 damage, expertise converts that to 2444 damage.
No expertise, you're eating 2444
Centurion gear would reduce that to 2211
Champ gear will reduce it to 2145
Recruit gear will reduce it to 2067
Battle Master gear will reduce it to 2000

So in short, buy your recruit gear where it's BiS if you want to PVP.
Yes, all of this only works with equally geared players. I realize everyone is not equally geared, but you can't balance a game around un-equally geared players.

PvP gear > PvE gear in pretty much ANY pvp situation since 1.2. No more rakata/battlemaster mixes. Which is how it should be IMO...but that is for another discussion.
Ven Zallow refugee

Anbokr
04.19.2012 , 08:16 PM | #7
lawl u think u can cheat me? i know my addition and subtraction bro

Khoraji
04.19.2012 , 08:19 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Anbokr View Post
lawl u think u can cheat me? i know my addition and subtraction bro
I realize this is probably sarcasm...but maybe not judging by the average forum poster..

Percentages use multiplication, not addition + subtraction
Ven Zallow refugee

romulusrwolf
04.19.2012 , 08:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Khoraji View Post
When people start getting war hero gear, DMG and Mitigation will still cancel each other out, but healing will grow to over 13%. That is over a 1% increase to healing... about the same buff DMG got with the 1.2 changes... hmm go figure.
This doesn't appear to factor in PvP Trauma. Do you know when it is calculated and how it effects healing received??

EbonFade
04.19.2012 , 08:24 PM | #10
Everyone knows the math. But it's not stacking with observation either. white damage from my blaster pistol has gone up nearly 30% relative to prepatch. Yes we know battle master gear was changed, but the fact is there is still an substantial delta increase on full BM players...

So something is very wrong.