Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lost Island HM - L5R

Kraheera
04.19.2012 , 03:32 PM | #21
Then our group is permanently glitched or something, because in that vid above, your grates are never 100% filled with lava. You're able to safety dance your way across them constantly.

When we run it, there is not one single grate after 20% that is not full of lava. Ever.
No matter how often we interrupt the arc, the balls spawn. No matter how often we do it, the balls are fully grown.

I'm not tossing my hands up and saying we aren't going to keep trying, and I'm not saying other people can't do it... what I am sayign is that the difficulty due to the damage in the last 20% is ridiculous. There is difficult, and then there is ridiculous. This feels like nightmare mode stuff to me, not hard mode.

Frumph
04.19.2012 , 03:37 PM | #22
1) The "balls" are electric fields - they are not cast by the mob, they just 'happen'. You need to move the mob away from them.

The incinerate can be disrupted and the main tank needs to be cleansed. Running through the fire to move the players in the group need to be cleansed. The tank should AOE taunt to grab the adds onto him and smash/stomp and the dps take em down as necessary otherwise ignore them. - keep them off the healer.

I agree the fight is ridiculously difficult for the other encounters inside the instance. I'm of an older generation that does not react as fast as I should for this set of mechanics

It *does* need to be toned down only a hair. If the electric fields didn't grow to huge proportions that would be adequate for the encounter to be still utmost difficult and equally doable by all group make-ups.

Kraheera
04.19.2012 , 03:40 PM | #23
And finally, someone acknowledges it.

I don't wnat the fight 'nerfed'. I want the balls to not be full grown when they land during the last 20% of the boss' life. The difficulty is great. The lightning balls being huge when they land is the problem. The ONLY real problem. Everything else is workable.

If they just toned down the size of the balls on landing during the last 20%, it would still be a damned hard fight, but it wouldn't **** people who aren't already in motion before the blue aoe marker shows up.

JeyKama
04.19.2012 , 04:00 PM | #24
The balls landing at full size means that your dps isn't good enough.

LR-5 has a soft enrage mechanic at exactly 3 minutes where he doesn't kill you, but the environment does.

That being said, I've done this fight with 2x melee, 1 melee/1 range, and 2 ranged, and the only time this fight is truly "impossible" is if you do not have a reliable ranged interrupt (i.e. not the healer) for incinerate while the boss is being moved.

DoctorVanGogh
04.19.2012 , 04:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraheera View Post
I want the balls to not be full grown when they land during the last 20% of the boss' life. The difficulty is great. The lightning balls being huge when they land is the problem. The ONLY real problem.
That is the soft enrage mechanic for the fight - it has nothing to do with LR-5's health. It happens after 'time x' into the fight: floor bubbles up everywhere and he drops fully grown lightning balls every 2 seconds.

If you run into this, you don't have enough DPS on the boss.

As for Sentinels making the fight non doable: rubbish.
I've done this boss on hard mode twice with a Sentinel DD and a Commando/Gunslinger respectively. The melee DD requires some more precision in boss placement by the tank, but is perfectly doable.
Band of Brothers
Eine PvE/PvP Republik Gilde auf The Jedi Tower, EU

Popovk
04.19.2012 , 04:38 PM | #26
IIRC, 4min 30 for the enrage.
This said, as a Juggernaut, we had it the 5th try we did it in HM (first time for 3 of us, the healer gave us a rundown but he did it in normal mode)
The main problem for the tank is interrupting the Incinerate. Even if the first tick applies, the attack must be cut and the dot cured. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to me the largest part of the damage done by the incinerate dot was on the last tick. Anyway, it must be cleansed. In case of a mistake, another player must cut incinerate when the channeling starts.
Btw, it's a cone with a short range, you only have to check melee players position.
Ignoring the arc lightning is fine, it's manageable.

The rest of the group doesn't need to move far from each lightning dome, if there's enough space left on the lane, just stay at the limit. It'll be less tedious as the number of domes is restricted. Around 7, I think, after that the older disappear as soon as another come in

For the adds, their damage is negligible. Just ask for an aoe if the group is moving, but if not, they have to stay on the boss. The tank will get the aggro and kill the add. If necessary, there's between 14 to 20 seconds between each Incinerate, so he can switch his target
The 4th time, we had the boss to 4%, but his enrage/overload killed us. After that, the group completely ignored the adds if they weren't moving, I was the only one to kill them. L5R was down before any enrage. No dome spam, no mad chaingunning, no lava everywhere, no unwanted adds
All of us were half columi, half rakata.

Something that can help, when the boss uses his chaingun attack on the whole group : the single or, if not, the pbaoe taunt can still be applied. Even if ignored, it'll still reduce the damage by 30%. This can be used on any boss ignoring the tank. Even with a protection, the pbaoe taunt is still able to be applied at least for the damage reduction

In the end, I like it. It's the first time I need to be so focused, as there's little room for errors. Yeah, it's harder, but it was advertised as is. The only nerfs I would see on it is, as said, a reduced radius for the lightning domes, while being sure they aren't spammed on the same place, especially for melee dps. And maybe, increasing a little the incinerate recharge time. Actually, without TS or mumble, cutting the wrong power will end with the tank death.

ps : sorry for the mistakes, english isn't my native language.

Aurojiin
04.19.2012 , 04:44 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JeyKama View Post
That being said, I've done this fight with 2x melee, 1 melee/1 range, and 2 ranged, and the only time this fight is truly "impossible" is if you do not have a reliable ranged interrupt (i.e. not the healer) for incinerate while the boss is being moved.
I'll probably be running this in the near future with a Sage healer, Guardian tank... and 2xCommando DPS.

FML.

Fdzzaigl
04.19.2012 , 04:59 PM | #28
Done this fight with Vanguard tank (me), 2x Commando and Sentinel, hard but not impossible.
We had huge trouble with the interrupts at first (without a ranged interrupt), but it is possible if you are very fast on your feet.

Both the tank and the melee have to anticipate where the fire is going to come from.

You can usually move back and forth between the fires until you have to switch positions because of the lightning.

DarkfallDC
04.19.2012 , 07:08 PM | #29
The more you speak about these "unavoidable" mechanics, the more I'm convinced you simply don't have any idea of what you're doing.

Group up in the back if you have ranged, group up behind the boss if you have melee, and move as a coordinated group. As for movement, move after incinerate. It's only at least a 12 second cooldown, and if you interrupt it fast enough, you take NO damage as the tank. True story.

goatfoam
04.19.2012 , 07:24 PM | #30
I've seen the stuff you refer to in the OP, but only the first time I did the hard mode and as others have pointed out it seemed to be a soft enrage as we only had one dps with us (and it happened in the last 5% or so, allowing us a kill regardless). The second time we had a proper composition with high dps and we didn't see this "phase" at all.