Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

When did Luke Skywalker die?


Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.24.2012 , 01:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
As far as Lucas is concerned the EU is a separate universe. It doesn't just have to do with post ROTJ.
Which is ironic since the name "Coruscant" for the galactic capital planet originated in the Expanded Universe.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
04.24.2012 , 02:00 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Which is ironic since the name "Coruscant" for the galactic capital planet originated in the Expanded Universe.
Not to mention the fact that he hired Leland Chee to make sure EU continuity meshes well with the movies. I don't pretend to understand Lucas. Lol

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.24.2012 , 02:38 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
Not to mention the fact that he hired Leland Chee to make sure EU continuity meshes well with the movies. I don't pretend to understand Lucas. Lol
And of course he had to give Maul an Exar Kun inspired Double Bladed lightsaber. xD

To put this as politely as possible, George Lucas is extremely eccentric. He is a genius without a doubt, but he's also a bit... inconsistent in his writing, and has pulled several writing "Mulligans" on his own material. He's quite possibly the only author I've seen who has retconned HIMSELF. Episode IV re-release, where Greedo shoots first...

And before anyone goes off on Highlander II, that story was not written by Greg Widen, and was actually explained away along with Final Dimension as dreams Connor had while in the Sanctuary where he was in Endgame.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

FigeroMentel's Avatar


FigeroMentel
04.24.2012 , 02:56 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Actually, no. C-Canon is different than G-Canon, and as far as Lucas is concerned, nothing after RotJ takes place. He reserves the right to retcon the entire ExU after Return of the Jedi IF he indeed decides to make more movies later.

About the only things in the ExU that George must be consulted on are the deaths of movie characters. Crix Madine and Chewbacca are the only two so far, to the best of my knowledge. In the case of General Madine, George just shrugged and said "Ok". Now, in Chewie's case, he actually asked R.A. Salvatore to do it when the idea was passed to him for review.
Every franchise handles canon differently (Star Trek, for example, doesn't count its books or video games as canon), but last I checked, the entire EU was considered in canon in Star Wars. That may have changed (I haven't been paying much attention to the back-room politics of SW), but at one point I know it was.

Changes wouldn't be unprecidented, of course, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed.

ghilleninja's Avatar


ghilleninja
04.24.2012 , 02:59 PM | #25
Theres about 50 books written, after the end of Episode 6, And Luke and his son, are BAMF. You can actually see all the books in chronological order if you want to look them up.
SOLO
SITH WARRIOR
Recruit Me

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
04.24.2012 , 03:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by FigeroMentel View Post
Every franchise handles canon differently (Star Trek, for example, doesn't count its books or video games as canon), but last I checked, the entire EU was considered in canon in Star Wars. That may have changed (I haven't been paying much attention to the back-room politics of SW), but at one point I know it was.

Changes wouldn't be unprecidented, of course, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed.
Yes. The ExU is considered C-Canon which can be overridden by Lucas at any time with his G-Canon. The sad thing is, most of the best stories are in the Expanded Universe. So I for one hope Lucas never makes any more movies set after RotJ or before the prequels. I've been reading ExU books since Heir to the Empire. Great stuff for the most part. Hell, Fett's survival is only C-Canon since George spit in fans' faces by declaring him dead in RotJ. He did not, however, rule out Fett's survival in the Expanded Universe. (Probably for greed reasons since Fett books sell more than any other sub-franchise in Star Wars).
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

FigeroMentel's Avatar


FigeroMentel
04.24.2012 , 04:28 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Yes. The ExU is considered C-Canon which can be overridden by Lucas at any time with his G-Canon. The sad thing is, most of the best stories are in the Expanded Universe. So I for one hope Lucas never makes any more movies set after RotJ or before the prequels. I've been reading ExU books since Heir to the Empire. Great stuff for the most part. Hell, Fett's survival is only C-Canon since George spit in fans' faces by declaring him dead in RotJ. He did not, however, rule out Fett's survival in the Expanded Universe. (Probably for greed reasons since Fett books sell more than any other sub-franchise in Star Wars).
Oh, ok, I get ya. Yeah, anything seen in the movies supercedes the books. That doesn't mean it isn't canon, just that it can be overridden.

Toonimator's Avatar


Toonimator
04.24.2012 , 04:39 PM | #28
Ben Skywalker, as a concept alone, is just too perfect to pass up. Of COURSE Luke would name his son Ben. What little I read of Fate of the Jedi, I liked Ben. I skipped Dark Nest and LOTF, but Ben alone is worth having Luke get hitched... the fact that Mara Jade was pretty damn cool, too, doesn't hurt.

Anyway, Lucas and his ideas of post-ROTJ and whatnot always change. Now he claims he never thought about it, but decides to be all "Get off my lawn" about Clone Palpatine, Luke getting married, etc (though according to Tom Veitch, Lucas himself either approved or SUGGESTED the idea of a cloned Palpatine for Dark Empire back in the day). He's adopted an ultra-simplistic view of his universe, where it's just "Happily Ever After except Luke never has baby Jedi of his own" after the Emperor dies, as evidenced by the "immediate galaxy-wide celebration, even on Coruscant which you'd think would be full of Imperial diehards". But once upon a time, he DID have thoughts of the post-VI universe... of course, back then the Emperor would've survived until Episode IX. His thoughts may change again. Look at The Clone Wars. Tons of stuff in it that differ greatly from what's presented in the films, not ALL great maybe, but overall far superior to a lot of what went on in the PT. So there's always hope he can change his mind and not just give a kneejerk "Eh, I don't wanna think about it so it's just like THIS and that's it" reaction to some of the post-ROTJ stuff.

But the basic distinction of "Movies as one universe, EU is another alternate universe in which the movies still happened exactly the same" works. Movie purists just need to recognize that whenever you move outside the movie timeline, be it in a book, game, toy, etc, you're shifting universes. You can't bash Jedi for having red, yellow, white, or magenta lightsabers by saying "It's only green & blue like the movies!", because you're not in the movies anymore, Sparky.

AmosMosses's Avatar


AmosMosses
04.24.2012 , 05:06 PM | #29
Han kills Luke in a Starship crash. The Falcon creams Lukes X-Wing. R2 is the only one to live on....
TURN TO THE DARK SIDE OF THE CHEESE, I am your Feta!!

Kilikaa's Avatar


Kilikaa
04.24.2012 , 05:15 PM | #30
How does Luke die????

I GOT IT! In 47ABY he walks under the Falcon to go inside when suddenly it finally breaks and a huge section of fuselage falls and crushes Luke. rofl