Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

FPS Issues


Victoris's Avatar


Victoris
04.19.2012 , 12:55 AM | #21
Update*
Flashed the newest BIOS and still nothing, but I am hearing mixed comments on my graphics card.

Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M Good enough to run SWTOR and have more than 5 FPS in combat?

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M is set as the graphics card to run SWTOR.exe
So I'm only left with two theories:
1. My graphics card has gone bad due to in-proper cooling (don't have a cooling dock and laptop stays on 24/7 most of the time.) I've had this laptop for a year and two months now. Main reason I'm thinking the graphics card has gone bad is due to the fact that theres a tiny line in every video I play that gets "squiggly".

2. Somehow the Dell monitor I have is stuck at only using the Intel integrated display adapter and maybe thats forcing SWTOR to use it as well?
Been using the R2D2 notification ringtone since 2004

FinnishDragon's Avatar


FinnishDragon
04.19.2012 , 01:19 AM | #22
Victoris, have you tried running SWTOR as an administrator? I have a new i5 laptop and I have FPS problem as well. Someone said that running SWTOR might help and I decided to try. When I used SWTOR as an administrator the game ran much smoother. It didnīt remove FPS problem completely but when I played the game for hours I had two short occasions when I had problems with low FPS. I do not guarantee that running as an administrator will remove FPS problem but it seems to help.
Dori: The terrorist has demanded a million dollars, a private jet and an end to the Star Wars program.
Sledge Hammer: Yeah, three movies was enough.

Victoris's Avatar


Victoris
04.19.2012 , 08:42 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by FinnishDragon View Post
Victoris, have you tried running SWTOR as an administrator? I have a new i5 laptop and I have FPS problem as well. Someone said that running SWTOR might help and I decided to try. When I used SWTOR as an administrator the game ran much smoother. It didnīt remove FPS problem completely but when I played the game for hours I had two short occasions when I had problems with low FPS. I do not guarantee that running as an administrator will remove FPS problem but it seems to help.

Yep, in my first post I go into detail about how I change the compatibility of SWTOR.exe and the Launcher to run as an administrator. For safe measures I even tried right clicking and then running the program as administrator just to be safe, no success.
Been using the R2D2 notification ringtone since 2004

Drength's Avatar


Drength
04.19.2012 , 11:47 AM | #24
I still think it should run better than it is...you could always try that ram drive option that seems to help some, but that may be a long shot.

Chrisamcnicholas's Avatar


Chrisamcnicholas
04.19.2012 , 11:52 AM | #25
Starting to feel like some of us are just **** out of luck, my system should run the game fine and yet for some reason my fps will go from 100 to 20 for no apparent reason.

HeavensHell's Avatar


HeavensHell
04.19.2012 , 12:06 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Chrisamcnicholas View Post
Starting to feel like some of us are just **** out of luck, my system should run the game fine and yet for some reason my fps will go from 100 to 20 for no apparent reason.
I have a similar issue like that except its very random. I can be on the fleet with 300 people around and my fps sits right at 60 then just a few seconds later it drops down to 10 to 15 for no reason nothing changed then it goes right back up to 60. It's not really a game breaking issue but its fairly annoying when it happens and my system is way beyond the recommended system specifications.

Chrisamcnicholas's Avatar


Chrisamcnicholas
04.19.2012 , 12:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensHell View Post
I have a similar issue like that except its very random. I can be on the fleet with 300 people around and my fps sits right at 60 then just a few seconds later it drops down to 10 to 15 for no reason nothing changed then it goes right back up to 60. It's not really a game breaking issue but its fairly annoying when it happens and my system is way beyond the recommended system specifications.
Mine happens far more often then that and is getting to the point of game breaking.

Victoris's Avatar


Victoris
04.19.2012 , 12:29 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Drength View Post
I still think it should run better than it is...you could always try that ram drive option that seems to help some, but that may be a long shot.
Please explain

And ya its very random when the FPS drops but most of the time its in combat, and since I mainly play PvP it can become quite frustrating.
Been using the R2D2 notification ringtone since 2004

Drength's Avatar


Drength
04.19.2012 , 02:22 PM | #29
This is one page I found: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=394951

There are a few other posts floating around with different but similar instructions.

Kallinikos's Avatar


Kallinikos
04.19.2012 , 03:36 PM | #30
Ok i got this:

Intel core 2 Duo CPU E 8400 @ 3.00GHz,4,0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870
MS Windows Vista Business 64-bit SP2

i got last graphic card updates
i use game booster 3 with all closed
i used every tip ppl say for graphics
i turn off in game all graphic choices(all)
i run memory cleaner
and the problem is:
when i am in windows with all applications closed my CPU usage is about 4%-5% max 10%
and memory usage about 700MB.
when i run SWTOR CPU usage is going to 90%-95% and memory usage about 3GB.
i also noticed that after some time in game temperature of cores goes from 35C to 45C
and graphic card from 40C to 50C.
Is this normal?
May the Force be with you!!!