Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FPS Issues

VanillaXpC
04.18.2012 , 09:25 PM | #11
While I can understand the TC's annoyance, your video card as stated by many others isn't up to par with the recommended requirements. The patch did increase resources though, before the patch I was using around 760mb for one SWTOR process and hovering around 150 for the other. Now after the patch, one process is in 1gb-1.2gb and the other is using 250-300mb...totalling into 1.5gb to run a single game while I'm sitting inside my ship no one else around with me idling to test this.

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 10:05 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Romiz View Post
OP you video system does not meet games system requirements which is the problem. In a way lucky it ran at all.

Your system has Intel HD 3000 and 64 MB dedicated memory. Sadly with that laptop there is no upgrade options for video. Reason it has no video card the CPU is the GPU also.

OP is that the MSI FX603 laptop? Only ask since MSI laptops with I5 have a video card in them too.
Yep, it has the NVIDIA GeForce GT425M

Quote:
While I can understand the TC's annoyance, your video card as stated by many others isn't up to par with the recommended requirements. The patch did increase resources though, before the patch I was using around 760mb for one SWTOR process and hovering around 150 for the other. Now after the patch, one process is in 1gb-1.2gb and the other is using 250-300mb...totalling into 1.5gb to run a single game while I'm sitting inside my ship no one else around with me idling to test this.
So your agreeing that I should upgrade my video card as well? Any recommendations?
Been using the R2D2 notification ringtone since 2004

VanillaXpC
04.18.2012 , 10:10 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Victoris View Post
Yep, it has the NVIDIA GeForce GT425M

So your agreeing that I should upgrade my video card as well? Any recommendations?
I'm still trying to understand your OP. Your DXDIAG shows you linking a Dell computer (or monitor, you spoke of a laptop?) of whatever type with a Intel HD (onboard video card). Here you're talking about the 425M. The 425M should be fine with this game as long as you have a lot of stuff on low, but that Intel HD, its onboard and far weaker.

Reading that DXDIAG even further shows that the computer looks to be detecting the Intel HD as the default display device? Further down it shows that the 425M is a system device installed, but for whatever reason the default display driver being used it the Intel HD.

Drength
04.18.2012 , 10:18 PM | #14
I wonder if the laptop has dual graphics and was on a powersave mode and therefore using the integrated gpu when the dxdiag was run?

VanillaXpC
04.18.2012 , 10:22 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Drength View Post
I wonder if the laptop has dual graphics and was on a powersave mode and therefore using the integrated gpu when the dxdiag was run?
It is possible, mobile CPU's also scale their power usage/cpu clock when you plug/unplug the device from the wall. If you're gaming from the laptop 24/7 with it plugged in, simply turn the default system setting to "High Performance" while this won't make your laptop more capable to run the game, it will ensure this scaling doesn't take place. Just be sure to remember to set it back to its default mobile setting when you take the laptop out and about.

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 10:25 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by VanillaXpC View Post
It is possible, mobile CPU's also scale their power usage/cpu clock when you plug/unplug the device from the wall. If you're gaming from the laptop 24/7 with it plugged in, simply turn the default system setting to "High Performance" while this won't make your laptop more capable to run the game, it will ensure this scaling doesn't take place. Just be sure to remember to set it back to its default mobile setting when you take the laptop out and about.
My laptop does stay plugged up 24/7 and has been on the high performance option since I bought it
Graphic Cards:
http://imgur.com/7gSF7
Power Options:
http://imgur.com/X3vsH

VanillaXpC
04.18.2012 , 10:32 PM | #17
My laptop does stay plugged up 24/7 and has been on the high performance option since I bought it
Graphic Cards:
http://imgur.com/7gSF7
Power Options:
http://imgur.com/X3vsH
I just searched a couple forums and many were saying that you are able to specify which display driver is used for applications by going into the Nvidia control panel and clicking on the "Manage 3D settings" tab. While I'm not even sure it will make your experience any better than it has been, you could try it to see if the laptop has been defaulting to the Intel HD this entire time.

Some posters were even suggesting to look inside the BIOS to see if you could disable the onboard video so the Nvidia card would automatically be the default without any fuss. The problem is not all BIOS have that option and most companies that manufacture lock out a lot of those options from the BIOS.

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 10:36 PM | #18
I just searched a couple forums and many were saying that you are able to specify which display driver is used for applications by going into the Nvidia control panel and clicking on the "Manage 3D settings" tab. While I'm not even sure it will make your experience any better than it has been, you could try it to see if the laptop has been defaulting to the Intel HD this entire time.
Thats one of the first steps I took to check, sorry I forgot to put that in my initial post. And yes SWTOR.exe was set to run with the NVIDIA High Performance Card (GeForce GT 425M)

Quote:
Some posters were even suggesting to look inside the BIOS to see if you could disable the onboard video so the Nvidia card would automatically be the default without any fuss. The problem is not all BIOS have that option and most companies that manufacture lock out a lot of those options from the BIOS.
I'll actually try this now, thanks

VanillaXpC
04.18.2012 , 10:37 PM | #19
Thats one of the first steps I took to check, sorry I forgot to put that in my initial post. And yes SWTOR.exe was set to run with the NVIDIA High Performance Card (GeForce GT 425M)
Well I have exhausted my limited expertise with the video card situation. It just sucks because you really shouldn't be having such an issue with the 425M on lower settings. Sorry I could not be of further help =(.

Victoris
04.18.2012 , 10:45 PM | #20
Well I have exhausted my limited expertise with the video card situation. It just sucks because you really shouldn't be having such an issue with the 425M on lower settings. Sorry I could not be of further help =(.
No worries, thanks for helping out as best you can, and I tried the BIOS suggestion but there was no option for that. However I did just learn that there seems to be a newer version of my BIOS on the MSI website but the MSI Live Update5 does not pick it up. Might try flashing my BIOS.