Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

View Poll Results: What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?
Forming a group for Operations 180 5.57%
Forming a group for Flashpoints 1,653 51.11%
Forming a group for Heroic Missions 273 8.44%
Forming a group for something else 39 1.21%
No preference/all of the above 1,089 33.67%
Voters: 3234. You may not vote on this poll

Tirantus
04.23.2012 , 12:16 PM | #411
In terms of priority, Flashpoints are at the top for me. They are the most difficult things to find groups for. As all of them require the specific set up of healer, tank, dps x2.

Operations are typically guild events. Most guilds can't at least get enough people to do 8 man runs.

I can usually stumble into a PUG group for the heroics that are worth doing, and heroics don't always require the standard FP set up. Sometimes you can get away with not having a dedicated tank or having a player use a companion, ect.

GeekNius
04.23.2012 , 01:08 PM | #412
[QUOTE=DawnAskham;4102091And for those that want to stick their heads in the sand, give them the ability to 'opt out' of anything they don't wish to use.[/QUOTE]

That sentence is just too ridiculous to not comment on.

You CAN NOT opt out of LFG.
Once LFG is introduced, the majority of people WILL use it, no matter if they like to or not.
Which leaves no people left to group with for those who do not want to use it.
Except for guild-runs, there is NO WAY to avoid using the LFG. No choice. Use it or don't run content isn't "choice".

Two other misconceptions that keep poping up:

1) Sure, LFG does not CREATE d-bags, ninjas and slackers who need to be carried.
BUT: it allows them to get into groups. Into YOUR group, too.
And the lack of social pressure also lowers the inhibitions of people to behave badly. Not only that, this in turn leads to a raw climate in groups which then leads to even the normally most well behaved people to stop being nice.
That's simple group dynamics, you can observe tha anywhere, not only in MMOs.
Though the internet's anonymity doesn'texcactly prevent that from happening, does it?

2) Sorry to blow your pipe-dreams, but: LFG won't solve your grouping problems. Lack of groups is not a result of lack of an LFG.
Geared people don't run HMs because they've got nothing to gain except for repair bills. LFG doesn't change that.
Low-level instances and H4s don't get run because on many server's there's not enough people in the level range that COULD actually run it. LFG doesn't change that.

I can understand you want to group and do content. I certainly do want that.
But the problem that makes this hard is not the lack of any tool, it's the lack of population on many servers. On healthy servers, there's little to no problems finding groups.
But, instead of asking for a fix to the real problem, you guys are asking for a magic tool that makes the problem go away.
Hint: it won't.
X-Server LFG could help some - but X-Server LFG won't work for those things that could use it most: Worldbosses, H4s and some of the other stuff you'll only do once per character, if at all. It might help with low-level FPs and HMs - but on the other hand, it'll create and/or amplify other problems for those, and the problem could be fixed a lot more easily by adding incentives.

TL;DR: You're asking for magig and miracles. Stop it, think! Then ask for solutions instead.

Jackobite
04.23.2012 , 03:42 PM | #413
FP,
a pug for ops no thanks
CE

chaosdefined
04.23.2012 , 03:48 PM | #414
Quote: Originally Posted by GeekNius View Post

You CAN NOT opt out of LFG.
Once LFG is introduced, the majority of people WILL use it, no matter if they like to or not.
Which leaves no people left to group with for those who do not want to use it.
Except for guild-runs, there is NO WAY to avoid using the LFG. No choice. Use it or don't run content isn't "choice".
Sorry I find that completely ridiculous in fact.

There is ALWAYS a choice not to use it. Nobody is making you and if you feel you have no choice, well that's your own fault and nobody else.

When I played WoW for a long time after the LFD came out, people were still asking in Trade for 5-man groups to go after achievements and such. So don't give me any of that rubbish.

It's entirely down to you. You have the choice. You have the option. Don't try to pass the blame or make up excuses. Don't want it? Don't use it. It is that simple.

Frozenshiva
04.23.2012 , 04:30 PM | #415
Quote: Originally Posted by chaosdefined View Post
Sorry I find that completely ridiculous in fact.

There is ALWAYS a choice not to use it. Nobody is making you and if you feel you have no choice, well that's your own fault and nobody else.

When I played WoW for a long time after the LFD came out, people were still asking in Trade for 5-man groups to go after achievements and such. So don't give me any of that rubbish.

It's entirely down to you. You have the choice. You have the option. Don't try to pass the blame or make up excuses. Don't want it? Don't use it. It is that simple.
You're comparing apples with oranges.
Making a group for specific content with specific goal in mine, like achievements/mount runs/etc. is not the same as running a normal dungeon for rewards.
This game doesn't reward achievements/mounts (at least currently) the same way wow does.
You'll be able to choose between looking for a group or running the LFG.
And since most people will rather hit a button than socialize, people will be forced into LFG regardless.
You said you played wow, it should be pretty obvious to you by now.

The funniest lines you said are:

You want one system with seemingly one option to turn into a system that is...you guessed it, one sided.
Oh but the new system is DEFINITELY less one-sided than it is now, since you like that option more and all....

/facepalm

CrunkShizzle
04.23.2012 , 04:41 PM | #416
i guess server populations must be better then people say if the group finder will be server only

cuz it does no good to put one in when alot of servers are already ghost towns

CrunkShizzle
04.23.2012 , 04:46 PM | #417
Quote:
i think its pretty good advice to say you should ignore anyones opinion on a group finder that played wow.because they all think its what killed the community in that game

maybe if the community itself wasnt horrible to begin with,the community would of been fine group tool or not

chaosdefined
04.23.2012 , 04:55 PM | #418
Quote: Originally Posted by Frozenshiva View Post
You're comparing apples with oranges.
Making a group for specific content with specific goal in mine, like achievements/mount runs/etc. is not the same as running a normal dungeon for rewards.
This game doesn't reward achievements/mounts (at least currently) the same way wow does.
You'll be able to choose between looking for a group or running the LFG.
And since most people will rather hit a button than socialize, people will be forced into LFG regardless.

The funniest lines you said are:

You want one system with seemingly one option to turn into a system that is...you guessed it, one sided.
Oh but the new system is DEFINITELY less one-sided than it is now, since you like that option more and all....

/facepalm
You clearly haven't read my posts yet feel you can jump in and assume everything about my intentions.

Yet go back one or two pages, and you'll find where I had said ideally I would like a Group Finder that allowed the option for Cross-Server Or Single Server queueing, as I feel this would be the most suitable option to please as many as it can.

Though your comparison of 'it's not the same pugging a group for a goal as it is pugging a group for a reward' is somewhat...well I think it's fairly obvious.

People can pug if they want in Chat. Just because they don't, doesn't make it anyone else's fault but their own. You keep blaming the tool for this, but it didn't stop them from deciding to ask in Chat for a group. Humans have this wonderful thing called Free Will. They need to accept their own responsibilities and stop blaming something else for "feeling they have no choice but to use the Group Finder.".

Also I'm really not sure what you're trying to say in your final statement, perhaps it's because I'm tired and it's late, or perhaps because you're just not actually making sense.

Blademeister
04.23.2012 , 06:31 PM | #419
If I had to choose one I would probably pick flashpoints! Although finding people for heroics are probably harder, Ops isn't too bad due to guilds.

Sabster
04.23.2012 , 10:32 PM | #420
Quote: Originally Posted by chaosdefined View Post
That's because people are dumb.